Ww2 RAF Crash Rescue Pictures?

PlasticSoldier

Hi all,

I’m constructing a diorama on an RAF crash scene atm with a Beaufighter and the airfix emergency set kit (don’t get me started on the problems with that K6 being post-war).

Just wondered if anyone has some pictures on crash rescues taking place, ideally hoses being used, extracting the pilots from the cockpit, would they just smash the canopy? And would they use ladders to get to for instance the observer in the Beaufighter? 

Any pictures that can answer these questions would be much apretiated!

many thanks,

PlasticSoldier

Depends on how the crash panned out; 

Belly landings often left moderate damage to the airframe, and the crew could exit on their own through the normal hatches and openings. 

For other more destructive crashes its all down to angle of impact, post-impact fire etc. 

Google have quite a few photos of various Beaufighter crashes; 
https://www.google.com/search?q=Beaufighter+crash+photos&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZ1PPg4d_dAhWKKiwKHfZeCJwQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1396&bih=657

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

So do a post-war Beaufighter? 

Can we mention the K2?

The Beaufighter I had was a 1944 varient, and it was a previous model that I had trashed, so was trying to reuse it

MMS models are now out of business, but Barry did do a Crossley Fire Tender.  I've seen it said here that he is still selling off old stock, so perhaps an email might prove lucky for you?  The K6 chassis was used for a lot of RAF vehicles, so needn't go to waste.

• Thanks 1