DH Mosquito Radio Question

Grizly

I'm building Tamiya's 1/32 Mosquito FB.VI as one flown by 418 Squadron in Belgium in April '45. In the Tamiya kit, two radio configurations are offered: the European options with the R1155 receiver and Gee receiver and a South Pacific option with the R1155 receiver and T1154 transmitter. Conversely, the Airfix 1/24 kit only provides the latter configuration. For a Continent based 'tactical' aircraft, the installation of Gee doesn't seem logical and am wondering if the R1155/T1154 combination is more appropriate. Would anyone care to add their thoughts?

There was a thread on www.mossie.org in the forum titled "Radio fit in the Mosquito FB VI" which I have saved on my computer but unfortunately can't access the forum at the moment.

Short answer is T1154/R1155 was only fitted to early FBVI's and was replaced with TR1133 fitted in the rear fuselage with only a push button selector on the port cockpit wall for the pilot to control it.

Do you have a photo of the mossie you're modelling? Gee is usually associated with a 3-4 foot long whip aerial fitted variously on top of the aft end of the canopy, inplace of the aerial mast or below the fuselage just in front of the bomb bay doors. If you can spot such an aerial Gee was most likely fitted. If not it still might have had Gee as some mossies had the aerial fitted internally in the aft fuselage.