Avro Lancaster STGB Chat

vppelt68

I have just been thinking of the Lancaster models I have already built. What I can remember at the moment are:

1/144 minicraft

V-RA, including open bulged bomb bay doors and a 'cookie' bomb

Long range with saddle tank

1/96 Frog

Captured by Russians and glazed nose added by them

1/72 Revell

Dambuster

Grand Slam with custom made bomb

Lancastrian after market fairings

Matchbox

Mk II Aeroclub radials

Manchester Contrail wings and tail

York Contrail fuselage

I think I might dig out my 1/152 Kader kit, fiddle with it a bit, make a glazed nose and put some civilian markings on it. It's time the thing got built !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

I have just been thinking of the Lancaster models I have already built. What I can remember at the moment are:

1/144 minicraft

V-RA, including open bulged bomb bay doors and a 'cookie' bomb

Long range with saddle tank

1/96 Frog

Captured by Russians and glazed nose added by them

1/72 Revell

Dambuster

Grand Slam with custom made bomb

Lancastrian after market fairings

Matchbox

Mk II Aeroclub radials

Manchester Contrail wings and tail

York Contrail fuselage

Pics or it didn't happen ;) 

Seriously though, some shots of these in the ready For Inspection section would be of great interest I'm sure.

Suggest making a generic photo backdrop , to save the unflattering cutting mat shots,  and your away. 

cheers

T

• Haha 1

How about a Tudor? As of this morning I have a Welsh Models Tudor IV in the stash (and it was an absolute bargain!). Lincoln wings and engines - so there would have been a bit of structural commonality with the Lanc - with a new fuselage. Or is that stretching things too far? 

The Russian Lancaster was not 'captured', it was one that had been left behind after the Tirpitz raids by 9 and 617 Squadrons in late 1944. The crews had considerable difficulty in finding the airfield at Vanega (?) and the North Russian steppe ended up being littered with Lancs that had run out of fuel and forced landed. Most were recovered and used in the partially successful attacks, but some were written off and Russians were able to get one flying, albeit with a patched up nose. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I agree with Paul J 👍. V-P

Fair enough! Since I have 3 Lanc/Manc/Linc builds in mind and can build the Tudor in "they also serve" hopefully I'll get four interesting Lancaster derivatives done next year. Three in the STGB might be a tall order though, since In The Navy will be running at the same time.

• Like 1

I'll add my name to the list please.

I thoroughly enjoyed building a second prototype Lanc in the Classic Airfix GB, another crack at the type would be good. I'm undecided what one, but a Tallboy or Grand Slam version is very tempting.

Tony.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr T said:

The Russian Lancaster was not 'captured', it was one that had been left behind after the Tirpitz raids by 9 and 617 Squadrons in late 1944. The crews had considerable difficulty in finding the airfield at Vanega (?) and the North Russian steppe ended up being littered with Lancs that had run out of fuel and forced landed. Most were recovered and used in the partially successful attacks, but some were written off and Russians were able to get one flying, albeit with a patched up nose. 

Hi Mr T,

Sorry I used the term 'captured' too lightly, rather than 'used by' and thank you for your info on the subject.

The source I used , many years ago, was Mir Aviatsii, and I am grateful to Ken Duffey for putting a post online so I don't have to look through my myriad files to find it again.  According to this source two aircraft on the Tirpitz raid were recovered and repaired - my model being the second one. It can be seen from the attached photo that the entire nose of one aircraft was lost and hence had to be completely replaced. From memory I believe it came from another aircraft. I also made a bulged bomb bay but now forget how I did it.

Please see images below of my model - a rough representation in 1/96 scale of the aircraft.

49158951468_fbd7842cf3_z.jpgAvro Lancaster B Mark 1 ME559 'KC-Y', of No. 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force; Squadron leader Drew Wyness' aircraft after crash landing at Kegostrov in the Soviet Union, 12 October 1944, prior to the RAF's raid on the German Battleship 'Tirpitz', (Operation by arhills, on Flickr

49159672967_891d7a59a1_z.jpgIMG_0170 by arhills, on Flickr

49158954468_59415731b9_z.jpgIMG_0167 by arhills, on Flickr

49159672587_030d7124b0_z.jpgIMG_0169 by arhills, on Flickr

49159440361_2a8c59ab4e_z.jpgIMG_0166 by arhills, on Flickr

49159673372_a7bd036370_z.jpgIMG_0172 by arhills, on Flickr

• Like 4

As a modeller interested in extensive use of the saw, Dremel and oodles of Milliput may I recommend two publications which might inspire those with a similar bent. 

Franklin, Neville and Gerald Scarborough, Lancaster: Classic aircraft No 6; Their history and how to model them, Patrick Stephens, Cambridge 1979. ISBN 0 85059 344 1

Franks, A, The Avro Lancaster: A comprehensive guide for the modeller, SAM Publications, Bedford 2000. ISBN 0 9533465 3 6

If you want to add lifeboats or even test bed engine installations these are a good place to start.

• Like 1

I was not meaning to correct you in a lecturing sort of way, but there are probably quite a few people who are unaware of the efforts to sink the Tirpitz in its Norwegian lair and it is an interesting story in its own right. Thank you for the additional history and also for the photos of your very nice Russian Lancaster. Miliput is useful stuff as I have have found in fairing the nose in on my Shackleton conversion. 

Mr T, My reply was meant in a friendly way as I took your initial reply.

I'm hoping to inspire other modellers to think 'out of the box' and I am sure this group build will be lots of fun 

Yours in modelling

Adrian

• Thanks 1

When I did my initial Avro Manchester conversion from Contrail (kit and photographs of same lost) I seem to remember there were also wings for the very first version which had an 80ft wing span. Does anyone have this kit to confirm my memory and even better are willing to flog me JUST those short wing sections - as I have the rest ? Would like to do that particular aircraft.

Thanks,after another thread, I am a bit sensitive to others. You are quite right about inspiring other Modellers, it is one of the reasons why I come onto this site. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a preliminary look at the Mach2 York. This is going to be 'interesting'. The wings are not too bad once the ejector towers are removed, but the fuselage. The length of the halves matches, but one half has a curious bulge along the top edge that pushes the fuselage apart. Much thinking take this will (as Yoda would say, pity I am deficient in Force strength, otherwise it would be easy). 

• Like 1

I am tempted to throw my hat into the ring for this GB - I have the HK 1/32 scale kit in the stash that keeps staring at me. 

Whether I can complete it within the times of the GB remains to be seen...

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, tomprobert said:

I am tempted to throw my hat into the ring for this GB - I have the HK 1/32 scale kit in the stash that keeps staring at me. 

Whether I can complete it within the times of the GB remains to be seen...

Personally, I would leave the 1/32 scale job for when you have time. Why not knock up a 1/48 Tamiya job and get to 'know' the aircraft in a larger scale. Or even a little 1/72 job of exactly the aircraft you will do in 1/32.

I once did an Academy 1/144 in the markings of V-RA as a copy of a friend's 1/32 Guillows balsa model covered in plastic. His name was Bill Christie and that and other 1/32 things light a Superfortress and Sunderland may still be in the cafe at the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum, in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  Bill passed many years ago but is very fondly remembered.

• Like 1

So here is the Lanc STGB which I think I sort of promised I'd have a go at a (nother if I ever finish the Python Lincoln that is) Lincoln although this time it will be based on the late 70's early 80's Airfix kit and not the Frog/Novo difficult to unwarp kit although I do like the idea of using the Shackleton wings again instead of extending and redihederalising (if there ever was/is such a word!) the Airfix/DB wings.  

So pencil me in but again no promises.  

(Unless of course the Frog/Novo/Soviet/Scratchbuilt Python Lincoln is classified as less than 25 percent started maybe I could just continue with it in this GB as it looks like I'm not going to get much done on it in the KUTA XII GB?)  

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 8:49 PM, vppelt68 said:

...  I´m afraid the line must be drawn between the only-on-paper and actually operated versions of these planes. ...

That's a pity as the high speed Lancaster Mailplane on page 41 in the Harleyford book

48721472351_bb19853c0f_b.jpg  

would be good to see in model form!  

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Rob S said:

That's a pity as the high speed Lancaster Mailplane on page 41 in the Harleyford book

48721472351_bb19853c0f_b.jpg  

would be good to see in model form!  

But... The Britmodeller has an option ready for you, Rob! As I'm pretty sure there's no complete injection molded kit available of the Mailplane, there's the "Anything But Injection" section in the "They Also Serve" GB where all those vac, resin etc. kits can be built :thumbsup:.

• Thanks 1