Avro Lancaster STGB Chat

vppelt68

Hi Adrian,

Good idea - decs certainly are possible but paint could be a problem, particularly enamel which Royal Mail don't like! I must stress again that I am in no way trivialising the current Pandemic or describing it as an inconvienience to the modelling community - our health and that of others clearly is far more important, but if somebody can't put paint or decs on part or even all of the kit they have spent hours building as a result of this,  I still feel they should be entitled to go "on show".

Cheers

Pete

LATER-

In view of the point posted by Mike, perhaps posting anything is not such a good idea after all!

Edited by PeterB

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The 'Full length' doors that you describe in the Matchbox kit are actually 'Tallboy' bomb doors and should technically only be used for those units that were equipped with Tallboy carrying Lancasters (namely 9 & 617 Squadrons).  If you are wanting to represent a typical Lancaster bomb door configuration, then use the four separate doors, however glue the forward and aft sections together so that they represent one piece doors. I have no idea why Matchbox chose to fashion these doors this way as they were never split in half like that? 

Cheers.. Dave 

What Dave said! The two-piece doors are the bulged door use for Tallboy bombers, as in Option A of the Matchbox instructions.

49694084183_e27f8bb69a_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The 'Full length' doors that you describe in the Matchbox kit are actually 'Tallboy' bomb doors and should technically only be used for those units that were equipped with Tallboy carrying Lancasters (namely 9 & 617 Squadrons).  If you are wanting to represent a typical Lancaster bomb door configuration, then use the four separate doors, however glue the forward and aft sections together so that they represent one piece doors. I have no idea why Matchbox chose to fashion these doors this way as they were never split in half like that? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Weren't they for squadrons using the 8,000 and 12,000lb HC Cookies as well?

31 minutes ago, Worms said:

Weren't they for squadrons using the 8,000 and 12,000lb HC Cookies as well?

Quite possibly, that’s why I used the term ‘mainly’. I’ll have to check some references but do think that there are other squadrons as well. I’m using a version of the 8000 lb bomb doors on my Lanc build, these coming from the Airfix Mk.II kit and are quite different again. 

Cheers.. Dave 

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Quite possibly, that’s why I used the term ‘mainly’. I’ll have to check some references but do think that there are other squadrons as well. I’m using a version of the 8000 lb bomb doors on my Lanc build, these coming from the Airfix Mk.II kit and are quite different again. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Yeah, the B.II had a different bulged door. The bulge started somewhere in-line with the back of the pilot's seat, like in the drawing below. The later door bulge started right at the front of the bomb bay.

49696458832_10512e94e5_b.jpg

Chris

As well as bomb bay doors and Rebecca aerials I was struggling to understand the precise location of the pitot tube on later models of Lanc. I came across a fabulous photo of BBMF's PA474 showing it just above the forward end of the bomb bay, immediately beneath the kangaroo's forward foot! The earlier type (not sure when it changed) is illustrated in Dogsbody's pic of a MK II above, sticking down just behind the bomb aimer's nose blister.

Edit: Just realised that Dogsbody's picture above is a right hybrid..looks like a BII with Merlins!

Source: https://www.airteamimages.com/avro-lancaster_PA474_battle-of-britain-memorial-flight_311346_large.html

Edited by Worms
addition

For some reason, it's seems nearly impossible to find two drawings or profiles in the same source, that shows the difference between the two types of bulged doors. Someone needs to get their " stuff " together and do this!

This is a good profile drawing, showing the B.II bulged doors. These door could be fitted to B.I/III Lancs, too, if needed for the carriage of the 8000lb. blockbuster.

49697988881_823de1ec16_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worms said:

I've never seen the BII type doors fitted to any other Mk of Lanc though!

.....yet 😉

It was something I read while going through all my Lancaster refs a while ago. I don't remember which ref it was and I don't fancy going through them all again.

Chris

Good Morning everyone,

Is there room for a late addition to this group build? You see I`ve been furloughed! Currently sitting on my duff for at least three weeks avoiding the plague, with a shed full of stash.......three of which are Lancasters, I think I ought to be able to manage one before May!

Granto

• Like 3

On 24/03/2020 at 13:05, PeterB said:

There is a note on Hannants site that they will be closing at the end of today. I had expected that in terms of actual walk-in customers, but it looks like their mail order section is closing as well. Clearly the safety of their staff must come first, and we have been instructed to minimise travel in the UK. I guess some builds might not be finished due to lack of decals or paint.  Can't be helped and is hardly significant in terms of the current situation, but perhaps we could accept not quite finished kits in the gallery?

Just a thought,

Be safe.

Pete

How about just extend and keep the GB's / STGB's open until normal service is resumed? Does that overload the BM website?

On 25/03/2020 at 00:33, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

I'm reading the Sqn code as JN which would make this 150 Sqn which used B MKI/IIIs

gYivsn.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Worms, looks like that Lanc also has an under fuselage fairing just aft of the deeper bomb bay doors. Common to a radial engined Mk.II, not so a Merlin engined Mk. I/III. Good photo. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@Worms, looks like that Lanc also has an under fuselage fairing just aft of the deeper bomb bay doors. Common to a radial engined Mk.II, not so a Merlin engined Mk. I/III. Good photo. 
Cheers.. Dave 

I have another, TL-B is one of this lot (second from left) that has long bulged bomb bay doors and was built at the Armstrong Whitworth factory as a MK I (FE), delivered between May and June 1945. Serial SW313. Flown by 35 Sqn.

lancaster12formation.jpg?w=940

Source: https://masterbombercraig.wordpress.com/post-war-raf-career/operation-lancaster-46/

pymCg5.jpg

Source: https://35squadron.wordpress.com/2019/06/10/avro-lancaster-b1fe/

no ventral fairing on this one!...note a couple of aerials under the fuselage aft of the H2S cover.

Edited by Worms
addition
  • Like 1

Laziness makes me quote myself from the POS-thread, but here I go anyway: 

Sorry for being AWOL for a long time! Working from home has meant better concentration on actual work than usually, in the commotion of the office. Funny :hmmm:. On the other hand, since I've stopped working by the laptop for the day, there has been little interest in continuing social affairs or anything on-line!

End quote. I have visited here daily and as everything seems to be going fine on its own, there has been little need to join the conversation; even more so as in case of everything Lancasters I´m a learner, not the teacher! I'm writing this due to a rather unexpected comment I received elsewhere. I really hope you don´t feel you've been left in a void.

And my Lancaster is progressing quite fine, regarding it's fighting for my hobby time with two Bf 109:s and two B-17:s - not to mention the six F-16:s!

V-P

• Like 3

Don’t worry V-P. You’re doing a grand job and there’s been plenty of unwanted distractions of late to keep our minds on more serious matters. I cannot believe that two weeks ago I played Barman at a good friends daughters 21st Birthday, and in that short space of time the world is now imploding! 

Working for an Airline, my work life has turned completely around. Although I’m still employed, I’ve been waiting for that quiet tap on the shoulder any day now. The last few days have been shear craziness, however looking at all the latest Lanc updates here has made me smile and pleased me no end. 

So thanks to you and to all the other GB members on here. Keep ‘em coming and I’ll get back to my build shortly.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The world is a bit odd these days and that is an understatement of the first order. Dropping by on Britmodeller each day is a welcome bit of normality for me that I very much appreciate. Sincere thanks are due to all who keep this place rolling.

Tony.

• Like 6

Afternoon everyone, I`m having a bit of a drought finding images of the various radio and navigation antenna fitted to ASR and MR Lancasters, from what I can find, I think there are three "toasting fork" type antenna, one each side of the nose and one underneath the bomb aimers position, a short whip type either side of the nose just above the front end of the bomb doors, two whips on top of the fuselage, one to the rear of the cockpit and one somewhere near the mid upper blanking plate, a whip behind the HS2 dome and two short whips side by side a couple of feet further aft. From what I can tell the "Towel rail" antenna isn't fitted on post war Lanc`s.......Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Granto

Just downloaded the instructions for Airfix’s 1980 issued Lancaster kit and am trying to work out if any clear fuselage windows are actually provided? I can see that the fuselage halves appear to have indentations / slots for these windows, however can’t see an instruction step where these windows are actually attached. 
Cheers.. Dave 

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just downloaded the instructions for Airfix’s 1980 issued Lancaster kit and am trying to work out if any clear fuselage windows are actually provided? I can see that the fuselage halves appear to have indentations / slots for these windows, however can’t see an instruction step where these windows are actually attached. 
Cheers.. Dave 

No windows in my 80's Airfix Lancaster.

49778158562_ebb28b189f_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

No windows in my 80's Airfix Lancaster.

Thanks Chris, a picture tells a thousand words. That’s quite handy for a painted over fuse window Lanc, although I suspect a little hard to keep that rivet detail should you wish to remove them altogether. Still, I wouldn’t mind building one of these 1980 Airfix Lancs myself. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 3 weeks later...

OK all you Lanc builders.. let's see a show of hands. 

How many of you still think you'll be able to have your kits finished and displayed in the GB Gallery by 31 May? 

I'm still hopeful of mine, however need to crack on a bit in the next few weeks, who else needs a little more encouragement? 

Cheers.. Dave