Avro Lancaster STGB Chat

vppelt68

Hi Steve, 

That looks good. When you say "old tool" I guess you mean the revised Dambuster version they issued in 1993 based on the second mould from 1980 - I did not realise they issued that version until I looked on Scalemates, and I see they also did a Tallboy or perhaps Grand Slam version as well. I made a crude Grand Slam version many years back from the original 1958 first tooling, after I had replaced it with a second tooling kit - I seem to remember that the bomb was made from a spare 1/32 Thunderbolt drop tank. I always thought the second tooling was pretty good, though I suppose the third 2009 version is even better. Might try the Mk II one day just for something different, speaking of which I am hoping to enter this STGB with a second tool kit converted to a Lincoln - must be mad, but my recent Shackleton build persuaded me it was possible!

Happy modelling and watch out for dozy builders and flying compressors.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Mind there's also the standard bomber version to build, for some reason although I've never previously owned a Lanc I have a set of decals for a 

couple of 100 mission aircraft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Mind there's also the standard bomber version to build, for some reason although I've never previously owned a Lanc I have a set of decals for a 

couple of 100 mission aircraft.

I think your build plan is settled 😊

• Like 1

Looks like the newer Airfix kit is the way to go

Now all I've got to decide is standard Biii or 617 Dambuster 🤔

Will have a look round and see what takes my fancy 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Once more the Devil vomits in my kettle! How on earth did I miss this one? I started Airfix's old tool Dambuster three week's ago would you believe,mind 

with my recent track record in GB's I probably would have fluffed it.Sadly I think I'm over the 5% rule.

Three weeks?! Criminy! I barely managed to get Lindberg's UFO, a.k.a., the flying saucer props from Plan 9 From Outer Space, built in 3 weeks. It has 10 parts, 5 of which I didn't use... <_<

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeterB said:

Happy modelling and watch out for dozy builders and flying compressors.

I'll try Pete,yes it is the kit mentioned( KK have them on offer at the moment £14:99) the standard kit is in the box with a tallboy too a separate white sprue

is supplied for the conversion.

• Thanks 1

🤔Am I missing a trick here with the Airfix Biii Lancaster or am I being thick (probably the latter) 🤣

Looking through the online instructions seeing what kit to go for, it looks to me like the present Biii kit doesn't come with a bomb load and you need to get the bomber resupply set which is no longer available as they only seem to do the usaaf one at present

Looking more likely that the Revell is the better option as it is a tenner cheaper and seems to come with a bomb load on the standard bomber and I don't need to get the resupply kit as I would with the Airfix, assuming I could get one, which would be another 20 odd quid I suppose

However, both the dambuster versions come with a bomb

I might have to get a set of wheels for the Revell one as that seems to be an issue according to reviews

Confused now as whether to get a 72nd one or just plough on with the Tamiya one and try and make space, but it's a fair size beastie to accommodate, god knows how the guys with the 32nd scale ones get on

Ian

• Like 1

The Airfix kit does indeed lack all ordnance, sorry to twist a knife in a wound but I just yesterday picked these red boxes from my post office:

IMG-20200204-WA0001

Sisumodels.fi had just one re-supply set in their stock and I grabbed it with the Lancaster kit and a set of masks. The Revell kit(s) may deliver more bang for a buck, but for a Britmodeller Lancaster build I just had no other choice than Airfix 🇬🇧 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

The Airfix kit does indeed lack all ordnance, sorry to twist a knife in a wound but I just yesterday picked these red boxes from my post office

Thanks VP that really makes me feel better.........🤣🤣

I'm leaning towards the Airfix Dambuster one, so let's see what I can find.

I reckon I have enough space to build the 1/48th Tamiya one, but it's where to put it when I have built it as it's 443mm x 668mm built up 🤔

Still got a few weeks to decide though and a Mustang to finish yet in the STGB

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 6:25 PM, PeterB said:

Hi Adrian,

Until recently I still had a "Manchester" I converted from the first tool (1958) Airfix Lanc based on an article in Airfix mag many years ago - sawed off the end of the wings and reprofiled them, made "Vultures" from balsa wood and used the spare outer Merlins to convert the original Airfix Beaufighter to a NFII. To save a bit of work I modelled the late MkIA version with the wider Lancaster type tail. A few year back I bought the Planet Models resin kit of the Manchester Mk I and I might even have time to build it in this STGB - never built a resin kit before, just conversions so it could be interesting.

Cheers

Pete.

Pete, go for it. Just make sure you have a good quality mask for cutting the material 😊

• Thanks 1

Decision made eventually

Went to Hobbycraft on the way home and they had the Airfix and Revell Biii and Dambuster kits, so I was able to see all 4 together and make a choice

As the Dambusters is probably my favourite war movie it narrowed it down to 2 then the reviews said the Airfix Lanc is a better kit, so here we are :) Final bonus was getting to the till and as I have a Hobbycraft loyalty card, I found out it was a 20% off day :) 

20200206_143424_resized

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Decision made eventually

Went to Hobbycraft on the way home and they had the Airfix and Revell Biii and Dambuster kits, so I was able to see all 4 together and make a choice

As the Dambusters is probably my favourite war movie it narrowed it down to 2 then the reviews said the Airfix Lanc is a better kit, so here we are :) Final bonus was getting to the till and as I have a Hobbycraft loyalty card, I found out it was a 20% off day :) 

20200206_143424_resized

Well, if you like the film so much (it is a truly brilliant explanation of a complex subject) why not dare to convert your kit to the film version. You will need to make a ‘flattened ball’ bomb and I think the aircraft had light blue prop spinners. Just a thought as it would make your model that bit more special 😊

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Well, if you like the film so much (it is a truly brilliant explanation of a complex subject) why not dare to convert your kit to the film version. You will need to make a ‘flattened ball’ bomb and I think the aircraft had light blue prop spinners. Just a thought as it would make your model that bit more special 😊

Actually not that bad idea! Let's see if that gets any takers?

25 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Actually not that bad idea! Let's see if that gets any takers?

Not me I'm afraid, I'm a more build out of the box with sensible extras but if it was homage to the film, wouldn't it have to be black and white 🤔 🤣

Ian

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Not me I'm afraid, I'm a more build out of the box with sensible extras but if it was homage to the film, wouldn't it have to be black and white 🤔 🤣

Ian

Got your point,mate. and great reply :-)

• Like 1

I'm on the fence at the moment I'm near the end of my Airfix build and have to say it's been a great kit despite it's simple details and does capture the lines

very well,not sure whether to attempt another in such a short space of time I'll see how the GB progresses and get some inspiration there's loads of these

1970's toolings out there for about a tenner I watched Revell's kit go for a fiver last week on e-bay!

• Like 1

Hi @stevej60

I've built a few of the older Airfix lancs years ago as a youngster and more recently with my son probably 15 years ago

I agree with you that it gives a decent basic representation of the kit, but the one I have is a new tool in 2012 according to scalemates and it looks to have more detail

Proof will be in the pudding hopefully as some of the more recent Airfix kits have been up to Tamiya/Hasegawa standards

I'm sure you'll fold and join in at some point as you're one of the serial GB offenders ;) 

• Like 1

We have a banner :yahoo::

"ASHCLOUDS! WE CAN'T FLY HERE, LET'S GET BACK HOME!"

Lanc_STGB_small

And as a link:

https://flic.kr/p/2iqcBqS

It's based on the comic strip series "Fingerpori", which is very popular in Finland, disliked by many too! This one dates back nearly 10 years ago when a volcano eruption in Iceland played havoc with European air trafic. Ash clouds cancelled all air trafic on several flight corridors for days. Mr. Pertti Jarla, the man behind Fingerpori, is also a modeller, and it shows.

I just had to borrow this image, thanks! V-P

• Like 1

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be" ;) 

Opened the box this morning to have a quick look see of what was what and was totally thrown that it is moulded in light grey 😯

All the bombers I have built over the years have always been black plastic

TBH though. the kit looks crisply moulded with plenty of detail, really looking forward to this build, I'll have to wear sunglasses when I'm building it to make it look darker

• Like 1

I built the red stripe Airfix Handley Page Hampden in the last Classic Airfix GB, naturally moulded in black, turned out really well.

Spray it black before you start, job done !

Good luck with the build, this is going to be a really special GB

cheers Pat 

• Haha 1