Avro Lancaster STGB Chat

vppelt68

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

"Anything But Injection" section in the "They Also Serve" GB

I went looking for the "Anything but Injection" GB in the proposed GBs but I couldn't find it.  Do you know where it is?  

Depending on the Rules it may not be allowed as you'd use Lanc Wings and Engines so borrowing these from an Injection kit would be the way to go.  

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I went looking for the "Anything but Injection" GB in the proposed GBs but I couldn't find it.  Do you know where it is?  

Depending on the Rules it may not be allowed as you'd use Lanc Wings and Engines so borrowing these from an Injection kit would be the way to go.  

You need to go to two places! Here's the new umbrella-GB "They Also Serve" spread over all these various did-not-make-it-GB:s by our very genious mastermind @Enzo Matrix:

The original thread can be found here. @Mjwomack can help you with the wings and such, it's not always the 25% in parts count or size of the model, but the work!

• Thanks 1

I'm also toying with the idea of doing the very first manifestation of the Manchester L7246. A Spanish (?) chap, Luis Mira, has already done a conversion of the 1/144 Amodel Lanc and placed a lot of lovely info online at : http://www.model34.com/index.php?topic=4060.0

This kind of seat of the pants, get the saw and the putty out really appeals to me. I will be using the 1/96 scale Frog kit as the basis of a model that represents this aircraft. I have the kit, some surplus 1/72 Matchbox Flying Fortress wings and a canopy I pull moulded for an earlier model using this kit.  But I have some questions and comments about the colour scheme.

In its INITIAL form, ie with 80ft wingspan what colours was it painted ? Snr Mira used dark earth/dark green with black undersides. This aircraft was a prototype but photographs, such as in Warpaint No 103 show that there was no yellow prototype P in a yellow circle. The fuselage roundel has a black ring which is obviously yellow and rendered such in the image due to use of orthochromatic film (as an aside this is shown as black on the Mira model - a minor inaccuracy on an otherwise superb model).  I suggest the underside was also yellow.

I would like your comments, Please 🙂

12 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

In its INITIAL form, ie with 80ft wingspan what colours was it painted ? Snr Mira used dark earth/dark green with black undersides. This aircraft was a prototype but photographs, such as in Warpaint No 103 show that there was no yellow prototype P in a yellow circle. The fuselage roundel has a black ring which is obviously yellow and rendered such in the image due to use of orthochromatic film (as an aside this is shown as black on the Mira model - a minor inaccuracy on an otherwise superb model).  I suggest the underside was also yellow.

I'll need to do some digging Adrian,  but IIRC the use of yellow undersides came in during the war, as well a the circle P,  (possibly both came in at the same time) but prior to that the undersides were standard colours (the Spitfire III is an example, see the pics here

see 

I do have both the Classic Aircraft and how to model them on the Lancaster, (with Manchester conversions) and rather good book on the Manchester I bought on one of the Aviation Bookshop sale days which you may wish to peruse, which has some plans and lots of photos. 

That is to hand so I'll have a browse now...

7 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Cheers Dennis, will do

Hi

a quick browse of book, as initially flown, L7246, looks to have black undersides, but a low demarcation line, not the higher type used later.

Avro-Manchester-Prototype-L7246-01.jpg?w

note white serials on wings, as pre-war,  and the bare metal props.  

the 2nd Manchester prototype L7247, does look to have yellow undersides.

zgs3kavbcf301.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

It could also be possible that L7246 was photographed using orthochromatic film whereas L7247 with panchromatic.

then what colour are the underwing serials?  They were meant to be readable easily. 

Early war prototypes, Typhoon, Spitfire III, have standard fighter camouflage, with split B/W undersides, so this is pre Sky in June 1940.

I'll see if the RAF museum book has anything on the date of introduction of yellow undersides for prototypes.

Now where is that.....

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that escalated quickly 😮 only seemed like yesterday we first discussed this

I was going to finally get around to the 48th scale Tamiya kit that I have had gathering dust for a while, but due to son getting his first house, most available space is occupied at present including my modelling area, so I can only model at a small table at present and I'm not going to have room for the Tamiya offering

I might look at getting a 72nd scale kit to join in as it may be more manageable at present, even though its not my preferred scale (too small and fiddly)

Which is the better kit, the Airfix or the Revell? Is the Airfix a new tool or a rebox?

Ian

33 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Which is the better kit, the Airfix or the Revell? Is the Airfix a new tool or a rebox?

Ian

The lineage of Airfix Lancs can be seen here

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a08013a-avro-lancaster-biii--1121420

and Revell here

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04300-avro-lancaster-mki-iii--102257

with plenty of links to proper kit reviews too to help you choose your kit.

V-P

• Thanks 1

Once more the Devil vomits in my kettle! How on earth did I miss this one? I started Airfix's old tool Dambuster three week's ago would you believe,mind 

with my recent track record in GB's I probably would have fluffed it.Sadly I think I'm over the 5% rule.

20200130_112455

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:54 PM, Adrian Hills said:

I'm also toying with the idea of doing the very first manifestation of the Manchester L7246. A Spanish (?) chap, Luis Mira, has already done a conversion of the 1/144 Amodel Lanc and placed a lot of lovely info online at : http://www.model34.com/index.php?topic=4060.0

Hi Adrian,

Until recently I still had a "Manchester" I converted from the first tool (1958) Airfix Lanc based on an article in Airfix mag many years ago - sawed off the end of the wings and reprofiled them, made "Vultures" from balsa wood and used the spare outer Merlins to convert the original Airfix Beaufighter to a NFII. To save a bit of work I modelled the late MkIA version with the wider Lancaster type tail. A few year back I bought the Planet Models resin kit of the Manchester Mk I and I might even have time to build it in this STGB - never built a resin kit before, just conversions so it could be interesting.

Cheers

Pete.

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Once more the Devil vomits in my kettle! How on earth did I miss this one? I started Airfix's old tool Dambuster three week's ago would you believe,mind 

with my recent track record in GB's I probably would have fluffed it.Sadly I think I'm over the 5% rule.

20200130_112455

Looks more like 5% to finish . . . .

• Haha 1