1/144 Airliner kits: new (old) Revell 727

DMC

For a while now I have been lurking around various airliner builds and referencing the pros and cons of the available kits.  My Macchi M.39 build is coming right along, struts and paint left to do, and I’ve been tempted into buying a 1/144 Revell 727 just to have a look at what’s in the box, mind you.  The 727 was not my first choice but I can’t justify spending the silly money that is being asked for a Vickers VC-10 kit on the auction sites, which was.  The VC-10 was the first jet liner I flew on and it seemed as though modelling one in 1/144 would be a good choice to start out with.  Not!  Well, logically, as it was the second jet liner I flew on, next came the 727.  After reading several reviews of the three main contenders, non without their faults, I chose the Revell kit and one is in the post even as we speak.  Large rivets, questionable wheel sizes and thick cockpit window frames not withstanding, it seemed like the best choice when It comes to accuracy of shape.  Not sure if I can go the distance with airliners as I have a tendency to jump around a bit from one genre to another but we’ll see.  Something new to me and plenty to learn..

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

Hi Dennis,

Good choice moving over to airliners!!

I had started the Revell 727 recently and sanded all the huge rivets off and rescribed some panel lines. I also filled the flight deck windows by backing the windows with plastic card and using superglue to fill the spaces. It is a nice model to start on. As for the wheels, Brengun offer a very decent set of resin replacements that are well worth buying. (Check Hannants website https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BRL144091 ).

I intend to finish mine (some time this century) in early Dan-Air colours. Its currently resting on the shelf waiting for another burst of enthusiasm from me.

There are several areas where airliner modelling can be frustrating- most airliners are painted white, many older airliners had large areas unpainted natural metal...and we all know which colours are a pain to paint!

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Jefg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMC said:

For a while now I have been lurking around various airliner builds and referencing the pros and cons of the available kits.  My Macchi M.39 build is coming right along, struts and paint left to do, and I’ve been tempted into buying a 1/144 Revell 727 just to have a look at what’s in the box, mind you.  The 727 was not my first choice but I can’t justify spending the silly money that is being asked for a Vickers VC-10 kit on the auction sites, which was.  The VC-10 was the first jet liner I flew on and it seemed as though modelling one in 1/144 would be a good choice to start out with.  Not!  Well, logically, as it was the second jet liner I flew on, next came the 727.  After reading several reviews of the three main contenders, non without their faults, I chose the Revell kit and one is in the post even as we speak.  Large rivets, questionable wheel sizes and thick cockpit window frames not withstanding, it seemed like the best choice when It comes to accuracy of shape.  Not sure if I can go the distance with airliners as I have a tendency to jump around a bit from one genre to another but we’ll see.  Something new to me and plenty to learn..

Cheers

Dennis

You should be able to pick up a Roden VC-10 for around the twenty nicker mark.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Good choice moving over to airliners!!

Thanks, time for a change   perhaps

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Brengun offer a very decent set of resin replacements

Had a look and notice they are listed as being for a -200 while the Revell kit is a -100.  Would it matter much?

1 hour ago, dadofthree said:

A good model with good decals and at a good price

Thanks for that, will keep that in mind while I see how I get on with the Revell kit.

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

You should be able to pick up a Roden VC-10 for around the twenty nicker mark.

Thanks, Thomo, I will keep that in mind also.

Cheers all

Dennis 

Regarding the wheels, I won't tell anyone!! 

It's been a few months since I filled my head with all things 727 related as I began the Revell model and research for it - wheel sizes and -100 and -200 differences? I honestly can't remember if there was a difference between the series. The -200 is bigger and heavier so it would make sense if it required bigger (perhaps wider) tyres. But, sitting on a shelf months after completion and so long as they're not huge tractor tyres, I wouldn't care. But that's me.

I'll have a dig in my grey matter and see if I can remember if there were differences.

Jeff

Mmh, interesting. So the main wheel tyre choices are an inch difference in diameter and 4 inches difference in width.

In 1/144...I think I've work it out as at most 0.7mm wider. Nothing to worry me about.

Any ideas about colour scheme? 

Jeff 

At 50x21 the rim size would be around .020 bigger in diameter for the -200 in 1/144.  So, you are right, nothing to be concerned about.

Colour scheme? An American carrier as that’s what I would have flown out of Norfolk, VA on.  There is a set of ATP 727 Piedmont decals on the auction site that I’ m watching.  Quite old I think so I’m a little Leary of the quality.  Could have been any one of the carriers that flew the east coast routes.  This happened some 40+ years ago.  Memory a bit foggy lately.

Dennis

In case no-one else mentions it, the 727-100 is one of the aircraft for which Authentic Airliners make windscreen and window decals. They're worth every penny and pretty much essential for the Revell kit since the cabin windows are just depressions and the windscreen needs to be filled anyway.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my first airliner kit arrived a couple of days ago.   as I mentioned, the 727 was the second jet airliner that I flew on and one that I have always liked the look of.  The Revell kit had a few niggles but the overall shape seems to be pretty accurate.  

Instructions in colour and look to be pretty comprehensive....in code. 

Decals which I doubt I'll use actually look ok.  I expect I'll use AA decals for the windshield, etc.

I printed plans off the Internet and, as printed, the aft fuselage half is spot on.  After reducing, the front matches well also.

The often grumbled about recessed cabin windows. rivets and raised panel lines.  They'll come off at a later date.

Not bad for an old kit (how old?) and one I think I might be able to do something with.  Much to learn about finish, decaling, etc., however.

Thanks for your interest.

Dennis

resized_bd61cd97-954d-4704-82e5-58291363

resized_9d74d89d-8bf1-4721-8c9e-d0f8656d

resized_4b47991d-0ecf-4abc-b480-f7432238

• Like 2

That should be fun - it's a 2016 release (with new decals) of a 1964 tooling. Info courtesy of https://www.scalemates.com/kits/974548-revell-03946-boeing-727-100-germania

You've got yourself a lot of learning possibilities in that little kit. I see a lot of sanding, filling, sanding and paintwork in your future 🙂

Enjoy

Kev

I'm looking forward to this one, Dennis 👍.

I've just got myself a Lockheed twin

It's the Lodestar C60 by Special Hobby, and I'm currently trying to make sense of all the different mods, upgrades and various changes, and between military and civilian, impressed and second use.

It's chaos!

In the box there's 2.engine options, 2tailfin options, seats that aren't supposed to be used.etc

Steep learning curve...?

I think that is what keeps us amused!

I get the feeling that this one is next up, as soon as your M39 is done.

Edited by rob Lyttle
spelins

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm looking forward to this one, Dennis 👍.

Thanks, Rob, actually, so am I.

I've just got myself a Lockheed twin

Had to look that one up.

Steep learning curve...?

You'll be busy then.

I get the feeling that this one is next up, as soon as your M39 is done.

I confess, I've done a little on it already.  Couldn't help myself.  I really enjoy scratch building but who can resist the temptation of a new kit.

Cheers

Dennis

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

got myself a Lockheed twin

I'm hoping to end up with something like this...

1 hour ago, DMC said:

but who can resist the temptation of a new kit.

I KNOW... !!

16 hours ago, modelman182 said:

That should be fun

Looks like it might be.  Of course, Scalemates! Could have looked there to find out its history.

16 hours ago, modelman182 said:

I see a lot of sanding, filling, sanding and paintwork in your future

Maybe, but that's the fun part.

Thanks, Kev

I do hope that the sand/fill/sand part of the job is fun - cos I've just bought a 144th vacform 747-100 in BOAC colours. That is definitely gonna try my patience! LOL!

Kev

37 minutes ago, modelman182 said:

I do hope that the sand/fill/sand part of the job is fun - cos I've just bought a 144th vacform 747-100 in BOAC colours. That is definitely gonna try my patience! LOL!

Kev

Sounds good. Will you be doing a WIP thread?  

Dennis

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sounds good. Will you be doing a WIP thread?  

Dennis

Most Likely. Though I am a builder of glacial speed, especially when I get other ideas for the build! 🙂

Kev

I have the Ozmods fuselage to convert the Airfix 200-series kit. I assume it's a copy of the ancient 100-series Airfix fuselage. Looks like Revell has at least correct length nosewheel bay and wing fence in the correct edge of the wing... 🤔 

2 hours ago, iJones said:

I have the Ozmods fuselage to convert the Airfix 200-series kit. I assume it's a copy of the ancient 100-series Airfix fuselage. Looks like Revell has at least correct length nosewheel bay and wing fence in the correct edge of the wing... 🤔 

Well, I’m an airliner newbie but the Revell kit looks pretty accurate based on plans, etc , on the Internet.  If you can live with the panel lines, rivets and the recessed cabin windows (I couldn’t) it’ll probably look ok on the display shelf.  I’ll be looking for another at Telford in November.

Cheers

Dennis

Hmmm, I thought I was posting a link here but the photo popped up.  Ok, this is from the excellent 727 walk-around on hobby vista.com.  I can remove it if necessary. 

What I’m curious about are the clip-like protrusions running up and down the length of the stabiliser.  What are they there for?  I’ve cleaned all the rivets from the Revell kit except for one row in a similar location.  Anyone have an idea?

Dennis

727_40.jpg