1/48 Monogram B-24 Liberator B.VI

Good evening all, I hope you’re all well.

Apologies for not being around much the last couple of months. I’m doing a bit of catching up with the RFIs at the mo, before I enter another busy period where I might go quiet again for a while. Anyway....

At last, I’m invoking the 80% rule and calling this one done. There’s bits I’d still like to improve on or finish properly but I need to move on from this project.  That being said, I’m happy enough with the way it’s turned out….but let’s not talk about the front and rear turrets shall we 😉

So here is my interpretation of Liberator B.VI KL629 of No. 99 Sq.  It was a toss-up between this one, KL611 in a similar scheme, or KL654 in an NMF finish; all of these wearing SEAC markings. This was a far cry from my original plan for them both to be USAAF aircraft, preferably from Rackheath or Horsham St Faiths as I lived between the 2 airfields for a couple of years.

This kit is the Monogram boxing of a B24J, Kentucky Belle.  Apparently KL629 was a Ford built B-24L-15-FO, (BU 44-49800) that later went on to serve with the Indian Air Force as HE834. I managed to get hold of the relevant pages from the book Consolidated Mess and was able to find out what modifications I needed (was willing and able) to make to make it accurate. So additions to the base kit include:

·        Squadron canopy, high-hat top turret and bombadier’s window.

·        True Details wheels.

·        Quickboost engines.

·        Lots of lead fishing weight !

Other mods:

Larger ‘blown’ navigator observation windows.

Larger/glazed waist gunner window with staggered guns.

Paint was all Tamiya acrylics and I used the salt weathering technique to help give the upper surfaces weathered look.  Unfortunately the effect is a bit too subtle to show in the pictures.

So here’s the end of B-24 duo project for now, I hope you like them. Comments good bad or indifferent welcome as usual.

Cheers

Gaz

43152451210_bf521fff3b_o.jpg

44052665075_589ecf6aac_o.jpg

43152450940_9aa6d6c81b_o.jpg

44052665035_548cf794d9_o.jpg

43152451740_bb9bed5138_o.jpg

43152451470_592f6e36ef_o.jpg

43152451960_9758abdea5_o.jpg

44052664565_925b169d07_o.jpg

I need to re-do the stbd waist gun window.

43152450730_c7a0bde752_o.jpg

44052665225_e28082f120_o.jpg

Edited by kiwitrogg
Added a tag
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed, and some weird coincidences, a fellow Kiwi (although I'm actually an expat POM) and also called Gaz who likes Liberators..............

Nice job on the Libs, not sure but I think that 99 Lib would of had SNAKE (used to identify that it was to be shipped out to SEAC and not for use in 205 Group) although I'd have to check my records to confirm this. I've probably got the crew list for KL629 somewhere in my records if you ever want it.

Here's my interpretation of a No. 178 Squadron RAF Lib  178 Squadron Liberator

I also run www.rafb24.com if you ever want to know more about Libs in RAF or Commonwealth AF's shout  :)

Edited by RAF Liberators
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, colin said:

Beautiful job, I bet you need a big display shelf for those in 1/48

16 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Very nice clean builds. They must be very big. How do you display them? 

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback.  Yeah they take up a fair bit of space alright, these two have pretty much taken up a whole shelf in my display cabinet.

30048403167_680652285a_o.jpg

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RAF Liberators said:

Very nice indeed, and some weird coincidences, a fellow Kiwi (although I'm actually an expat POM) and also called Gaz who likes Liberators..............

Nice job on the Libs, not sure but I think that 99 Lib would of had SNAKE (used to identify that it was to be shipped out to SEAC and not for use in 205 Group) although I'd have to check my records to confirm this. I've probably got the crew list for KL629 somewhere in my records if you ever want it.

Here's my interpretation of a No. 178 Squadron RAF Lib  178 Squadron Liberator

I also run www.rafb24.com if you ever want to know more about Libs in RAF or Commonwealth AF's shout  :)

Hi Gaz, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I've visited your site a few times recently.  Good stuff ! 

I’m sure you’ve probably seen it but my cues for colours and markings were taken from a description by JEH Fail (SEAC Liberator Bombers in Far East, 5 OUT RCAF – 231 Group RAF SEAC). I’d got the impression from somewhere that the sides were painted black after arrival out East, and so the ‘SNAKE’ wouldn’t be required….I could be wrong…..and probably am…..not the first time 😉.  If you come across any info please feel free to let us know, I can still apply the SNAKE if need be.

Cheers

Gaz (also an ex-Pom.....or Trogg (Welsh))

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Great looking pair, I always wanted to build some RAF B24's and B17's in 1/48 but run out of space for them !

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis

I know what you mean, between these two and the Nimrod I built a the beginning of the year, my new cabinet is filling up faster than a Faiford Flight Line. We're what they're calling these days 'empty nesters' though, and I work on the theory that if I build them then I surely there has to be room somewhere to put them.  I don't know how my wife feels about that theory  though 😁.

Cheers

Gaz

You`ve done a wonderful job and they both look brilliant together. Well done with the conversion into the B-24M  variant too,...... I`ll be doing the very same 99 Sqn aircraft in 1/72nd scale hopefully.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1