1/48 - Grumman F-14 Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - F-14A & B released - F-14D in 2024

Homebee

1 hour ago, Sebastien said:

The nozzle parts look strange for a B model, or should I really slow down on the booze?

They look like F-14A exhausts to me, so I guess that means that GWH will eventually release all of the Tomcat versions? You're probably safe to keep on drinking.....😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sebastien said:

The nozzle parts look strange for a B model, or should I really slow down on the booze?

You're quite right, they appear to be A model P&W TF-30 engines, whereas the B and D models were fitted with the GE F110 engine.

The main fins on the AIM-7 Sparrow should in reality be separate pieces.  The main fins pivot on a spindle, and are thus only attached to the missile body at their aerodynamic center.  If GWH molded them in situ, it would be inaccurate with respect to the prototypical missile.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

I'm no expert on the Tomcat by a long way but when is aw the nozzle parts I also thought, hmmm? Didn't the B have the F110 engine?

Anyway, when GWH first announced their F-14 (before AMK even released theirs), they announced it as an F-14A.

I guess for marketing purposes, with no B model neither from Tamiya nor AMK , they changed it to releasing an F-14B first and maybe the originally planned A later....

J

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lusitanian said:

The main fins on the AIM-7 Sparrow should in reality be separate pieces.  The main fins pivot on a spindle, and are thus only attached to the missile body at their aerodynamic center.  If GWH molded them in situ, it would be inaccurate with respect to the prototypical missile.

Best wishes!

Didn't know that,thank you for clarifying.🙏

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F-14A & B Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - 3D renders+box art+schemes - release in 2023
On 10/4/2022 at 8:40 AM, Sebastien said:

They certainly appear to be F-14A nozzles.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what this will offer over the recent Avantgarde/AMK and Tamiya kits but if it's a genuine F-14B then I will probably take one or two. Like others have said, the weapons appear to be a backward step from those in their MiG-29, Sukhoi 27 and even F-15 Eagle series, all of which feature one-piece slide moulded missiles.

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Not sure what this will offer over the recent Avantgarde/AMK and Tamiya kits but if it's a genuine F-14B then I will probably take one or two. Like others have said, the weapons appear to be a backward step from those in their MiG-29, Sukhoi 27 and even F-15 Eagle series, all of which feature one-piece slide moulded missiles.

following few builds and reviews on various forums, AMK has some accuracy and fit issues...so there is an opportunity to offer something over the AMK cat 🙂

7 hours ago, Petr said:

following few builds and reviews on various forums, AMK has some accuracy and fit issues...so there is an opportunity to offer something over the AMK cat 🙂

I had heard this too......................no such problems with my build and it looks like a Tomcat to me........................but then we do live in an age of disinformation and it seems the modelling community is not immune to this either (Tamiya 1:32 DH Mosquito 'unbuildable' etc etc)

I think this will be down to the price point, currently the Tamiya F-14 is £99.99, AMK is now £67.99 up from £55.99 due to poor exchange rates and shipping,  be interesting to see the price of the GWH.

We import both AMK and GWH , but as yet you all know far more than me, and we have no indication of price from GWH as yet.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, Tiger331 said:

I had heard this too......................no such problems with my build and it looks like a Tomcat to me........................but then we do live in an age of disinformation and it seems the modelling community is not immune to this either (Tamiya 1:32 DH Mosquito 'unbuildable' etc etc)

Disinformation...hmm....I am referring to build threads with photo evidence without any bias and personal preference.  Nevertheless, my point is, that still, there is an opportunity to offer something over the AMK cat....nothing more, nothing less...🙂

Given the very well documented and plain as day contorted rear fuselage of the AMK kit, its poor fit AMK missed the boat.

Just sitting the AMK kit next to the extremely accurate yet lightly detailed Tamiya reveals everything you need to see.

The way overdone rear curves aft of the wing, the rear fuselage shape being clearly visual for all to see.

You dont even need a red line drawn to see what is there fir everyone to see.

Now ive git several AMK kits and the finished one sits well away from my Tamiya ones as its shape and sit is so poor that even someone lenient on accuracy can see it looks very different.

Hopefully GWH bring the same team who did the Flankers to the F-14 release and we get not only accuracy but also highly detailed crisp plastic just like the stunning Flankers.

Hopefully their F-14’s makes up for everything AMK got wrong.

Anyone interested in the AMK issues just stroll through the outstanding posts by Zactoman at ARC who clearly highlighted the obvious glaring issues and translated that into simply info and how it impacts every part of the kit.

Unlike most kits with issues you dont need red lines and once seen you will never unsee the real fuselage issues but like most things that issue leads to multiple other issues to compensate for the contorted rear fuselage shape.

Some wont care until they sit it next to the Tamiya kit built off the Grumman blueprints then you simply squint and look away and say “how did they do that”…

Tomcat lovers are well treated and accurate F-14’s are a plenty. Tamiya, Monogram, Hasegawa evn Hobbyboss kits with there by comparison minor intake issue compared to AMK’s distorted fuselage are all far better.

We can only hope GWH pack it with detail and maintain accuracy so we get it all in one box.

Still the Tamiya F-14 is still the best engineered model ive ever built and combine that with deadly shape accuracy its tough to match.

Edited by DarrenH

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F-14A & B Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - 3D renders+box art+schemes+sprues - release in 2023
5 hours ago, Homebee said:

Sprues pics here: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8307012755

V.P.

Looks like potentially a lot of details and options. Looks like we have a lot of pipework as separate pieces along with the parts to show the radar? I'm also wondering if the big 'cross bar' piece at the bottom of the cockpit sprue might allow for some wing movement (unless its for something completely different of course)? Nice upper fuselage detail appearing to show some of the wing mechanism workings. And the little parts sticking out the back of the canopy frame, could they allow movement or at least positioning options? Wings also appear to show some of the spoiler detail? Also appear to be working wing gloves? All in all looking quite good so far.

15 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Looks like potentially a lot of details and options. Looks like we have a lot of pipework as separate pieces along with the parts to show the radar? I'm also wondering if the big 'cross bar' piece at the bottom of the cockpit sprue might allow for some wing movement (unless its for something completely different of course)? Nice upper fuselage detail appearing to show some of the wing mechanism workings. And the little parts sticking out the back of the canopy frame, could they allow movement or at least positioning options? Wings also appear to show some of the spoiler detail? Also appear to be working wing gloves? All in all looking quite good so far.

That piece should be the wing bearing box, that for some reason GWH is moulding as a separate part. This is sometime exposed during maintenance so I can see how modellers may want to have this visible (Kazan makes a resin set for the Tamiya kit) but the part doesn't look to be actually representative of how the real thing is made.

In any case this looks to be a very impressive package ! If the lines are accurate enough I will likely have to get me one of these kits.

Wow! Looks like it will be a very good kit. Lots of small details and it can be built out of the box. I'll wait to see how it builds up when the test build is posted. 

Smart of GWH to make the F-14B first. I sold off the AMK kit and got the Tamiya F-14D :happy:, Already have the Hobby Boss F-14A (shame that it has the slightly twisted intakes). I may do another F-14A, but it will be a choice between the Tamiya and the GWH . . .:pilot:

• 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F-14A & B Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - 3D renders+box art+schemes+sprues - release in June 2023
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F-14A & B Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - 3D renders+box art+schemes+decals+sprues - release in June 2023
  • 2 weeks later...

hmmmmm hmmmmm

Apparently the main canopy has to be glued into the framing from the inside. The conventional solution will or would be preferred by quite a lot of mates, right?