1/48 - Grumman F-14 Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - F-14A & B released - F-14D in 2024

Homebee

6 hours ago, Masinissa said:

As for companies enforcing their licencing rights - has any company like Hobby Boss, AMK, or Trumpeter been sued for using the names or likenesses of the F-14 Tomcat? They never paid a fee.

Probably not but I've read on Facebook a guy from Dassault's communication department whining about the KH Mirage 2000.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one.....but cannot understand why none of the recent manufacturers (specifically AMK and Tamiya) have yet to release the F-14A+ or F-14B boxings......some of the most attractive colour schemes and/or interesting loadouts were on these variants of the mighty Tomcat.........hopefully not long to wait.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laurent said:

Probably not but I've read on Facebook a guy from Dassault's communication department whining about the KH Mirage 2000.

There’s an old saying in the legal profession:  they gotta catch ya before they can hang ya...

13 hours ago, Masinissa said:

The fact remains that Tamiya has the best 1/48 Tomcats on the market today. Great Wall Hobby may take the crown or be second best. We will soon see.  The Tamiya kit is $70, with shipping included, direct from Japan to Los Angeles. AMK is $85 from China. (Yes I had an AMK kit and held the plastic in my hands.) The Great Wall Hobby kit will be over $100. Will I get a GWH F-14? Yes if it's accurate and measures up...

...just another AMK hater...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, LUCIANO007 said:

...just another AMK hater...

So you want to attack me personally? Take it someplace else.

I don't care about AMK. Yet here you are trying to denigrate me by falsely claiming I hate AMK. What's your agenda here? Silence people who don't agree with your views about little plastic kits? 

Now back to discussing GWH forthcoming F-14 family.

It will either be second best to Tamiya or rule the roost.

I would like to add as a former draftsman both with a pen and later CAD that just because you have drawings / blueprints it does not mean the finished product is 100% to those drawing.

Look at BAe they designed the Nimrod 4 wings using CAD from the original drawings, then found they never fitted to the airframes as they were all in reality different. 

In addition when scaling down for models its not as simple as just scaling down. Things have to be changed and in certain circumstances deviated from to make the model look correct. I have this from good authority from speaking to a model CAD design team.

Julien (who still prefers a pencil to a CAD Tablet)

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Looking forward to this one.....but cannot understand why none of the recent manufacturers (specifically AMK and Tamiya) have yet to release the F-14A+ or F-14B boxings......some of the most attractive colour schemes and/or interesting loadouts were on these variants of the mighty Tomcat.........hopefully not long to wait.

There is one good reason for a Far East manufacturer to go for a D rather than a B: units equipped with the D mostly served in the Pacific and were those that local enthusiasts would have been more familiar with through airshows or media articles. On the other hand the units equipped with the B mostly served in the Atlantic. There were of course short lived exceptions and early in the B history there were units so equipped in the Pacific. However at some point the USN decided to rationalise the deployment of Tomcat squadrons in this way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julien said:

[...] Things have to be changed and in certain circumstances deviated from to make the model look correct. [...] 

Almost the hardest thing to get 'right', as this is nothing you can quantify. 

Getting something scaled down and look correct is not a matter of scaling down a CAD model by a given factor. 

I'm very curious to see how GWHs Tomcat turns out. So far I really like their kits (I tend to prefer accuracy over ease of construction). 

Sorry no update, but at least no bad news I've heard...

About the discussion earlier, yes, use of official drawings/blueprints doesn't mean that the model will be 100% accurate, but to be fair, they should be a better starting point than drawings one could buy from the internet for 5$.

If models that look more of less like the real thing are what we all look for, then I guess 5$ would be about right too, that's all the manufacturers need to spend on research. I mean LOL who need official blue prints when you have google image?? A joke indeed, that might be what manufactures like KH were thinking too, when they designed their earlier kits. But even they are now trying a more serious approach with their Mirage 2000, or are they kidding us too with laser scans, what was that about?😛

Edited by delide
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I was looking for any updated release date or any other promotional information for the GWH F-14. 

Would it be unrealistic to assume that any kit slated for release in 2020 will be released in 2021 instead?

• 9 months later...

Before any new F-14 from GWH, would be nice that they re-tool inaccurate or poorly moulded F-15C/E parts( mainly canopy and exhausts) as they promised several times on their Facebook page with words " imminent " , " in the works", " asap",...as for F-14, Tamiya is in my opinion underdetailed for asking price, AMK has its share of inaccuracies so bring it on....

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 2

On 04/07/2022 at 04:21, Homebee said:

Hope ?

Source: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7906451853

<images cut>

It reads that "We've finally reached to the point where we can officially announce this year's release of F-14...".

(This article is from Scale Aviation magazine vol. 145 May 2022)

Edited by ttyng0904
add source info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F-14A Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - 3D renders - release in 2022 ?
On 7/3/2022 at 9:39 PM, Thomas V. said:

Before any new F-14 from GWH, would be nice that they re-tool inaccurate or poorly moulded F-15C/E parts( mainly canopy and exhausts) as they promised several times on their Facebook page with words " imminent " , " in the works", " asap",...

I doubt it will happen:

- low benefit/cost ratio... rerelease sales may not cover the cost of the new toolings

- an offer for initial buyers to buy replacement sprues could end up being too expensive (shipping, ordering process, etc) for GWH

- it could be perceived negatively: buyers of the initial boxing would have been screwed by GWH by buying the initial boxing

Producers have get things right right from the start (by using CAD peer review for example) otherwise profitablility of the project goes down.

21 hours ago, Laurent said:

Producers have get things right right from the start (by using CAD peer review for example) otherwise profitablility of the project goes down.

Absolutely right! In an ideal world there are no errors.... 

An issue fir the specific product manager...

But in the long run a producers credibility also is damaged by not correcting issues ....

So there is still hope!

• 2 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F-14A & B Tomcat by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - 3D renders+box art+schemes - release in 2022 ?

Wow, didn't see this one coming - thought everyone had mixed up the scales as GWH just released the F-14 in 1/72. But pleasantly surprised. 

Turns out to be a good Friday - Tamiya bringing out the F-35A in 1/48 and GWH the F-14B in same scale 🍺🤩👍

• Like 1