Airfix New Tooling Announcement - 1/48th Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV

Leamy

On 29/09/2018 at 06:17, keefr22 said:

True, they also did a Tiger Moth & early Harrier in 1/72 and 48th scale modellers are probably complaining they haven't scaled those & the Swift up to their scale...!! :rofl:

Quite correct. The Tiger moth is ridiculously small at 1/72. I've been complaining for months about that. For me bombers are best in 1/72 smaller aircraft are best in 1/48. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Can we get back on topic please, talking about this kit that IS being produced, not what should have been tooled to suit your personal preference :rolleyes:

right-on Boss chap type person

Did I see that some of you have it on pre-order already?

I'll be baaaack - as big Arnie S once said

I actually have the Hobbymaster diecast version of Johnnie Johnson's XIV Spit, once this comes out its days in my collection may be numbered.  Would love to do a Belgian kite always thought their roundels looked good on the side of a Spit.

• Like 1

The first one of these I can get my hands on is going into 602 squadron colours. After that it's a straight fight between an Indian or Belgian bird and maybe a RAF Far East example. Well done Airfix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Can we get back on topic please, talking about this kit that IS being produced, not what should have been tooled to suit your personal preference :rolleyes:

Can we heed this please, and also this thread is not the place to mention other new releases from other manufactures. There should be a thread n them ,and if not feel free to start one.

Thx

Julien

• Like 1

I have a pretty specific interest in later cold war jet aircraft, but this is something I've hoped would be produced for quite a while. I was at the Woodford airshow in '92 when David Moore tragically lost his life in RM689 and as a small tribute I would definitely make one of these my first Spitfire build.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not an FAA aircraft but I will add one of these to the collection (maybe in a side cabinet), unless I can identify one flown by a Royal Navy Pilot which will promote it to the main collection.

Somehow Airfix making a range of Spitfire kits seems right, the fact they are in the remedial scale is good for me and fits my collection, perhaps they will apply the shrink ray later for those of you who work in the Gentleman's scale.

• Like 2

I’ll end up with one, or two if they also do a highback version (with a V1?!)

And now a Public Service Announcement....

*******Airfix! Do not use the same undercarriage assembly procedure as you did for the MK.I/Vb. That was just silly*******

Trevor

• Like 6

Another one to look forward to !. Having struggled with the Academy/Daco combination some years ago (my fault, not theirs) and finally abandoning it, I will look forward to doing at least two natural metal examples in RAF and  Indian Air Force markings.

Well Done, Airfix !

Thunderous applause!  Yes, everybody and his kid brother does a Spitfire...Mk I, V, or IX.  The Merlin-powered machines are covered.  But the Griffon-engined marks are NOT.  And in many ways, the XIV is one of the prettiest airplanes ever built.  A svelte ballerina of a machine - sleek, powerful, and lethal.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2018 at 1:56 AM, VMA131Marine said:

According to this article on the Beeb, the best-selling Airfix kit is the 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I, followed by the Hurricane, Lancaster, and Bf 109G

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7131047.stm

The article is from 2007, but I doubt the result will have changed since kit volumes are so much lower now than they were a decade or three ago.

Nope! :wicked:

35 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Nope! :wicked:

So then I'm going to have go with something out of left field: the small scale Golden Hind, The first Airfix kit. Airfix must have sold a couple of million people over the years.

Sorry, not even close. Thing is, you're looking at it from the customers / retailers perspective rather than the manufacturer's.

The numbers from which a manufacturer works are very different to a retailer.

Thing's that have to be taken into account are, what is the break even figure, before the investment is covered? and apart from what can be seen, boxes, plastic, decals etc. It's things like wages, heating, lighting, R&D costs, machine maintenance, insurance, pension contributions, sickness, holiday pay.......

Doesn't matter where in the world it's produced, some, if not all will come into play.

Golden Hind has been in production, on and off, for sixty years?

and has probably turned a decent profit, but, it has to be remembered when first released profit wasn't the be all and end all that it is today.

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ll end up with one, or two if they also do a highback version (with a V1?!)

And now a Public Service Announcement....

*******Airfix! Do not use the same undercarriage assembly procedure as you did for the MK.I/Vb. That was just silly*******

Trevor

Without looking at the instructions, what was wrong with it? 

9 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Without looking at the instructions, what was wrong with it? 

The top of the undercarriage is a butt join to a thingy pre assembled into the wing. There is a ridiculously small gluing surface for the join and is far too flimsy to be of use. I believe that inserting a pin drilled out into the two parts helps matters.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The top of the undercarriage is a butt join to a thingy pre assembled into the wing. There is a ridiculously small gluing surface for the join and is far too flimsy to be of use. I believe that inserting a pin drilled out into the two parts helps matters.

Trevor

You're right Trevor, drilling and pinning it was the only way to get a secure joint, otherwise it's a joy to build.

Jhn

• Thanks 1