Airfix New Tooling Announcement - 1/48th Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV

Leamy

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

Not my choice in 48th  . . . .

I thought there were enough Spitfire kits out there to cobble the streets with  . . . .

Mk.I's, Mk.V's and Mk.VIII/IX's yes but many versions are lacking. A Mk.XIV is most welcome. I'm still hoping Eduard are going to do the Mk.XI they mentioned along time ago.

• Like 1

🎉:yahoo::cheers:

I'll be buying a few, have been waiting on this variant. If they can re-tool it to release a hi-back version, I'll buy several more.

Love the announcement, just please Airfix...please finer panel lines!

Agreed. I'm not saying the PR XIX lines are bad, because they're not...but they're certainly not great either, especially for 1/48 scale. If Airfix can address this issue with the XIV, she should be damn near perfect.

I do sincerely feel for those who are tired of Spitfires, but I'll not hide the fact that I'm very pleased with this release. :thanks:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhoenixII said:
17 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Nimrod did not sell particularly well, apparently. 

:hmmm: Really? 

It certainly sold well when people like The Aviation Hobby Shop had piles of them for £12 a pop at Telford,

And no, I'm not at all bitter that I pre-ordered and paid for two when Airfix announced it and intimated they were only ever going to produce enough to fulfil said pre-orders!

Still, I've been waiting a while for a decent fumble thumbs scale Spit XIV, so I'll have a couple - but I'm with @Thomas V. in his plea for more finesse in the surface detail please Airfix, no more Matchbox like trenches! :)

Keith

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And no, I'm not at all bitter that I pre-ordered and paid for two when Airfix announced it and intimated they were only ever going to produce enough to fulfil said pre-orders!

Keith

When offered a batch of cheap Nimrods when I was in the trade way back, the story I was told by the rep was that Airfix had too many kits. The reason I was given was that there had been a misunderstanding with the factory in India, and far too many had been produced. That's what I was told anyway.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

When offered a batch of cheap Nimrods when I was in the trade way back, the story I was told by the rep was that Airfix had too many kits. The reason I was given was that there had been a misunderstanding with the factory in India, and far too many had been produced. That's what I was told anyway.

Steve

Wasn't that from the second production run though? Seem to recall being told by a fellow club member who owned our LHS at the time that Airfix were so pleased with the pre-order selling out they decided on a second run, only to find that most people that wanted them had pre-ordered.... :doh:

Anyway, whatever the truth of the matter, I'm not bitter, no really, I'm not.... :rofl:

Keith

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

ducks.....

They did a range of bird kits years ago but I doubt if they'll do ducks. 

Mind you, they did do a Widgeon... :hmmm:

And DUKW's, so maybe you're onto something.... 

:giggle:

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Been saying that ever since they brought out the 48th Javelin and Sea Vixen.

Still waiting......

That crossed my mind too... 🙄 Still hoping for a 1/72 Hunter and Spitfire XIV, though. You never know, they did a Spitfire 21 and a Swift in 1/72, didn't they!

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Wasn't that from the second production run though? Seem to recall being told by a fellow club member who owned our LHS at the time that Airfix were so pleased with the pre-order selling out they decided on a second run, only to find that most people that wanted them had pre-ordered.... :doh:

Anyway, whatever the truth of the matter, I'm not bitter, no really, I'm not.... :rofl:

Keith

That would make sense. The figure I was given was 5000 units instead of the 3000 units requested. Either way, a lot of cheap Nimrods ended up out there. We knocked them out at £15, and sold loads, but that was a lot of plastic for the money. 

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

You did say 1/24 though, and that was enough for me to start dreaming about 1/24 Mk XIVs and then it went all downhill from there....

Well Airfix did it with the Typhoon, launched a little one then launched the Big 'un.... just sayin'

6 minutes ago, rob said:

Well Airfix did it with the Typhoon, launched a little one then launched the Big 'un.... just sayin'

....and I like what you're sayin'.

Fingers crossed! I suspect though, that if Airfix ever do another 1/24 Spitfire, then I bet it will be a Mk IX. A XIV would be brill. 

19 minutes ago, ivand said:

Still hoping for a 1/72 Hunter and Spitfire XIV, though. You never know, they did a Spitfire 21 and a Swift in 1/72, didn't they!

True, they also did a Tiger Moth & early Harrier in 1/72 and 48th scale modellers are probably complaining they haven't scaled those & the Swift up to their scale...!! :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Steve

I'm pretty sure that the Nimrod was produced in China not India. Not that the factory in China could not have made the same mistake.

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

It certainly sold well when people like The Aviation Hobby Shop had piles of them for £12 a pop at Telford,

Still, I've been waiting a while for a decent fumble thumbs scale Spit XIV, so I'll have a couple - but I'm with @Thomas V. in his plea for more finesse in the surface detail please Airfix, no more Matchbox like trenches! :)

Keith

Well they are not quite Matchbox trenches and a lot better than they were doing a few years ago like on the Mk.XII, but a little finer would be nice but if they were to improve anything I would like it to be the molding quality - too many times over the last few years it's been quite common to get short shots, cold shuts, faded out detail and fasteners blending into panel lines that I've become cautious when buying Airfix kits now.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stealthman said:

As Aifix have made a formal announcement confirming this model will be released - it's no longer a 'Rumour', can this thread be placed under WW11 where it belongs please?

All kit announce,menus go in here, even long after released, so we can follow news and versions

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stealthman said:

As Aifix have made a formal announcement confirming this model will be released - it's no longer a 'Rumour', can this thread be placed under WW11 where it belongs please?

That's the whole point of the Rumourmonger forum so the others forums don't get full up with all the new kit release details.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

All kit announce,menus go in here, even long after released, so we can follow news and versions

Ok.......thats just a tad confusing....as we have a long thread on the yet to be released HK Models 1/32 Lanc under WW11?  Rumours are rumours.........

5 minutes ago, Stealthman said:

Ok.......thats just a tad confusing....as we have a long thread on the yet to be released HK Models 1/32 Lanc under WW11?  Rumours are rumours.........

That's only because some one started it there, but really it would of been better here, just look at all the threads in this forum. The period sub forums are really for people asking about kits or real aircraft etc.

Edited by Tbolt

Having just caught up with the rumour, this is excellent news - I'm in for two of these, as I have an Airwaves XVIII enlarged rudder just waiting for an airframe! 🤩

If Airfix don't announce a high-back XIV then I will need three - interesting to see whether it could be cross-kitted with their XIX? 🤔

• Like 1