Airfix New Tooling Announcement - 1/48th Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV

Leamy

Personally, I'm stoked to see my favourite Spitfire mark kitted by someone who (hopefully... DO NOT mess this up Airfix!) will get it right. I'm not a Spitfire nutter, but I like XIVs. Vulcans are interesting, but not enough for me to buy one in 72th, so... this release works for me. I'll have a couple of them, at least.

12 hours ago, Sonoran said:

You can’t make blanket statements about “large aircraft kits” any more than you can make blanket statements to the opposite.  If Airfix did a gorgeous new 1/48 Wellesley, do you think it would sell I anything like the numbers a new tool 1/72 Vulcan would?  I don’t.  I love the Nimrod, but 98.8% of people don’t know what it is, and it has no combat history, no wide variety of markings and camouflage schemes, etc, etc.  Every subject demands its own calculation.  A 1/48 Spitfire XIV would be great.  But how many color schemes did it carry (answer:  basically one).  How much colorful combat history did it have (answer: not much).  It’s a gorgeous airplane, to be sure.  I’ll buy one.  But it can’t hold a candle to the likes of a Vulcan in terms of historical relevance, variety of markings, variants, etc.  

Do your research.

Nimrods took part in the Falklands war, Operation Desert Storm, Afghanistan and the Iraq war. They also operated at the sharp end of the Cold War in operations to keep tabs on the Soviet underwater and surface fleets, maintained 24-hr search and rescue for the duration of its service life and undertook many, many operations in support of UK interests worldwide, including countless Tapestry flights. In the Gulf war RAF Nimrods were credited with assisting the sinking or damaging of 16 Iraqi surface vessels. Combat history is not merely a case of how many bombs you dropped or aircraft you shot down.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Actually four colour schemes in RAF service: Day Fighter Scheme,  TLS with MSG underasurfaces in SEA, overall silver and the green/grey/metal scheme worn by the occupation force in Japan.

Regarding historical relevance a XIV is still a Spitfire, with all that comes associated with that name. Did modellers need a 1/48 Spitfire XIV ? Considering that the only other alternative was the very inaccurate Academy offering I would say yes, this kit will nicely fill a niche in the market for those interested in this variant. At the same time the name Spitfire will sell the kit to those who want a shiny new kit of what is afterall one of the most famous aircraft to ever be produced anywhere and anywhen.

The fact that the type can be seen flying at several airshows will also make it quite appealing to many who attend them

Several also wore the low flying PR scheme of dark sea green and extra dark sea grey with PRU mauve undersides, while Egyptian-based FR.18s (with the broad chord rudder) were painted light slate grey and dark earth with medium sea grey undersides. In addition the Mk.14 was also operated by Belgium, India and Thailand.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Several also wore the low flying PR scheme of dark sea green and extra dark sea grey with PRU mauve undersides, while Egyptian-based FR.18s (with the broad chord rudder) were painted light slate grey and dark earth with medium sea grey undersides. In addition the Mk.14 was also operated by Belgium, India and Thailand.

But is the low flying PR scheme confirmed ? My understanding is that there is no certainty on this, that is a pity as it's an unusual and interesting scheme.

Good point about the other users, they add some interesting markings to the type.

If the kit will be designed to allow the XVIII to be built without much hassle, of course it would be even better. The desert scheme is very interesting and several units carried colourful markings on their XVIIIs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

But is the low flying PR scheme confirmed ? My understanding is that there is no certainty on this, that is a pity as it's an unusual and interesting scheme.

Good point about the other users, they add some interesting markings to the type.

If the kit will be designed to allow the XVIII to be built without much hassle, of course it would be even better. The desert scheme is very interesting and several units carried colourful markings on their XVIIIs

It is one of those 'did-they-didn't-they' subjects. My own view, as with other such colour controversies, is to accept that they did until definitive evidence to prove otherwise comes along.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

:yawn:

As long as it makes Airfix some much needed money, so they can tool the 1/24 scale beauty they hinted at at Telford last year.

...But I want a Mk XIV in 1/24. It's been my holy grail kit for years.

I have to say good call by Airfix. The Academy kit is a nice model, it's just not Spitfire Mk XIV shaped. I maybe alone here, but the low back Mk XIV is one sexy looking beast. I don't normally do 1/48, but I'll have one of these until the 1/24 version comes out :like:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

...But I want a Mk XIV in 1/24. It's been my holy grail kit for years.

I have to say good call by Airfix. The Academy kit is a nice model, it's just not Spitfire Mk XIV shaped. I maybe alone here, but the low back Mk XIV is one sexy looking beast. I don't normally do 1/48, but I'll have one of these until the 1/24 version comes out :like:

I didn't say anything about a Mk XIV in 1/24 scale. Nor did anyone else. You will have to wait and see whether Airfix produce what was discussed.

42 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

No, in fact there is NO EVIDENCE for it. Existing colour photos don't show it and none of the surviving air or ground crew remember anything like it. All say their aircraft were standard colours. It all seems to be just one man's interpretation of some B+W photos.

Mk 18 will need new wing tips and fin/rudder (and wing top u/c bulges?), but quite an easy option

Edited by Dave Fleming

47 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

40 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

It is one of those 'did-they-didn't-they' subjects. My own view, as with other such colour controversies, is to accept that they did until definitive evidence to prove otherwise comes along.

The low flying PRU scheme has been discounted, IIRC the  unit CO was asked and he had no recollection, the 'evidence' being B/W photos and the written existence of the scheme.

the Mk.XVIII or by then Mk.18 is not a the same, it has slightly different wing panelling.   nothing that a average modeller couldn't sort out though.

(i'll add in the thread in a mo) EDIT here you go

also of relevance

But, depending on how they do the wings, (c and e bulges)  add new fuselage, high back XIV, new wing, and rudder, XVIII.  And as they did something similar with the Mk.I/V kit.....

Good call from Airfix.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Was getting excited, till found out it was a girlie low back. Will pass on this one.

Maybe Airfix will produce the High Back too ?

As far as I am concerned I just wish that after the research work done Airfix will scale down this new Spitfire to 1/72 scale it should not be too difficult ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I didn't say anything about a Mk XIV in 1/24 scale. Nor did anyone else. You will have to wait and see whether Airfix produce what was discussed.

You did say 1/24 though, and that was enough for me to start dreaming about 1/24 Mk XIVs and then it went all downhill from there....

51 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Maybe Airfix will produce the High Back too ?

As far as I am concerned I just wish that after the research work done Airfix will scale down this new Spitfire to 1/72 scale it should not be too difficult ...

Cheers

Patrice

Once had an Airfix designer explain to me just how 'easy' that was - effectively, they can take the source data but the kit needs to be done from scratch, as the tolerances, fit, finesse and plastic thickness don't work.

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

also of relevance

But, depending on how they do the wings, (c and e bulges)  add new fuselage, high back XIV, new wing, and rudder, XVIII.  And as they did something similar with the Mk.I/V kit.....

Interesting snippet on the fin - whilst the larger rudder/shorter fin is usually associated with the low back FR14, some of the high back mk 14s in Japan were also fitted with it

Edited by Dave Fleming

25 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Once had an Airfix designer explain to me just how 'easy' that was - effectively, they can take the source data but the kit needs to be done from scratch, as the tolerances, fit, finesse and plastic thickness don't work.

I've heard that too, but it also frees up the Researcher to do other work.

2 hours ago, tank152 said:

Was getting excited, till found out it was a girlie low back. Will pass on this one.

I'm opposite to you; this will go nicely with my Mk.XII which I built just a couple of months ago

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Been saying that ever since they brought out the 48th Javelin and Sea Vixen.

Still waiting......

• Like 4