Airfix New Tooling Announcement - 1/48th Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV

Leamy

6 minutes ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Oh R'lyeh? How about doing two separate boxings and people buying them? Or I could find it insulting having to go the kitbashing route, again buying two boxes and extra decals? Questions, questions...

Vedran

But all extra parts and tooling adds to the overall cost. Thus pushing the prices up. You may want a highback, and that is fair enough, but a business case for a low back was obviously deemed to be stronger. 

Oh and wouldn't a high back need new wings? As they are a C wing... Thus more parts as well. 

I'm sure somone will provide the kit you need soon enough. Just not in this instance. 

2 hours ago, Denford said:

From Airfix themselves, they will NOT, repeat NOT be issuing a high-back.

Strikes me as a weird decision,  and despite what Airfix say, if it sells well then they may well do a high back,  as it is a new fuselage and some interior bits.

They did their Mk.Vb and Mk.I/II kit like this.  

5 minutes ago, snowen250 said:

Oh and wouldn't a high back need new wings? As they are a C wing... Thus more parts as well. 

maybe, depends on how they tool the wing,  if the go with optional cannon bulge panels then that does not require a new wing.

note it seems to tooled with standard wing tips, and AFAIK the low back FR XIV used a clipped wing mostly.

The optional rudders are neat,  making the conversion to an XVIII/18 very easy.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denford said:

From Airfix themselves, they will NOT, repeat NOT be issuing a high-back.

The sprues I saw on display were not quite complete... the clear wingtips had become detached.  Let's hope that this isn't an ill omen of missing parts when released for general sale !  To make clipped wings, it is necessary first to cut and remove the tips then add the clear wingtips.

If anybody is wondering why there are two sets of main undercarriage doors, one is for retracted and the other extended.

Why so sure?  They made a Mk. Vb and then a Mk. I, mainly based on the same pattern. Why should they not repeat that success? Do you have inside information? The Mk. Vc is a different matter. They actually made one some years ago based on their old Mk. Vb, but with a new wing to a much higher quality than the original one. Maybe it didn't pay off so they have kept away from this subtype leaving it to Classic Airframe (republished by Eduard) and Special Hobby. 

I'll be getting this without a doubt and like some others am even more looking forward to the inevitable high back XIV which must surely be looming after this. I was hoping that I wasn't going to buy too many more kits over the next year or so and rather start making a dent in the stash which the better half has noticed has started to overflow from my storage room. But over the next few months I'm obviously going to need multiple Eduard Tempests, Tamiya Spit Is, Airfix Spit XIVs, and no doubt some maker will entice me with something else!

28 minutes ago, NPL said:

The Mk. Vc is a different matter. They actually made one some years ago based on their old Mk. Vb, but with a new wing to a much higher quality than the original one. Maybe it didn't pay off so they have kept away from this subtype leaving it to Classic Airframe (republished by Eduard) and Special Hobby. 

the c wing was a new bit of tooling, and while it had recessed panel lines, it was really thick and clunky,  so much so that thinning it down is really hard work.

A lot of the new bits were heavy as well,  and some parts inaccurate, so it was not really  much use as a kit.

The CA/Eduard/SH Spitfire Vc is not the easiest build,  and it's a bit short, and it doesn't make money for Airfix either.  

Given the sheer amount of marking possibilities, and foreign users, it would be a good bet, and only needs them to make a new wing as they sensibly set up the fuselage tooling separately.

Note to Airfix, if you do a Vc, change the way the UC legs attach! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Note to Airfix, if you do a Vc, change the way the UC legs attach! 

Amen to that. 

Must be up for the award of the worst bit of kit design ever. If you were a young person and started making a I /Vb Spitfire it would turn you off the hobby.

Dick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I'll be getting this without a doubt and like some others am even more looking forward to the inevitable high back XIV which must surely be looming after this. I was hoping that I wasn't going to buy too many more kits over the next year or so and rather start making a dent in the stash which the better half has noticed has started to overflow from my storage room. But over the next few months I'm obviously going to need multiple Eduard Tempests, Tamiya Spit Is, Airfix Spit XIVs, and no doubt some maker will entice me with something else!

You don't need any of those kits over the next few months - they will still be for sale in a year when you've got your stash down a bit ;) Now get building!

• Like 1

I know that it's very early days yet, but has anyone else thought about using the spine from the Academy XIV to kitbash a high back XIV? It'll be on my list of 'things to examine' when I get my hands on Mr Airfix's kit.

43 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I know that it's very early days yet, but has anyone else thought about using the spine from the Academy XIV to kitbash a high back XIV? It'll be on my list of 'things to examine' when I get my hands on Mr Airfix's kit.

The Academy kit is too deep, so would not be the best starting point, but as the spine is the same, any accurate high back fuselage could be used a donor. 

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

The Academy kit is too deep, so would not be the best starting point, but as the spine is the same, any accurate high back fuselage could be used a donor. 

It is indeed too deep, especially around the nose and leading edge, but I was thinking about using just the high back bit ie a cut and shut (to steal a car modding term). Although it might be less effort to make one up out of plastic sheet...

7 hours ago, Rob G said:

It is indeed too deep, especially around the nose and leading edge, but I was thinking about using just the high back bit ie a cut and shut (to steal a car modding term). Although it might be less effort to make one up out of plastic sheet...

Or if you have an old Airfix Mk. I & V & IX around, you might slaughter it and use the spine. Probably easier than using the faulty Academy one. As Troy said, you can use any accurate Spitfire back.  

I must admit I am having a bit of a chuckle to myself here.  Spitfire XIV in 48th,  at last! Where's the high back? It is a trait of this hobby of ours that no manufacturer will ever do the subjects that we all want. Who's for a 24th Miles M20?

Keith. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NPL said:

Why so sure?  They made a Mk. Vb and then a Mk. I, mainly based on the same pattern. Why should they not repeat that success? Do you have inside information? The Mk. Vc is a different matter. They actually made one some years ago based on their old Mk. Vb, but with a new wing to a much higher quality than the original one. Maybe it didn't pay off so they have kept away from this subtype leaving it to Classic Airframe (republished by Eduard) and Special Hobby. 

Because it was Airfix themselves who told me (sorry, but I don't know how to bring up my original posting to which you posted the above reply)

Call it inside information if you wish, but it was told me at the Airfix stand at Telford by an Airfix employee, wearing an Airfix Teeshirt.  He pointed out that beside the fuselage halves some of the other parts that fit inside it would have to be retooled too.

Their reasons are not our reasons and let us not tell Airfix (or any other kit manufacturer for that matter) how to run their business.

On the plus side, the resources that would have been required can be devoted to something else: heavens knows, there are enough other subjects awaiting the 'Airfix treatment'.  We should be grateful for what they doing for modelling.

Slightly off thread they seem focussed on 'fine detail' in particular that which is lost when scaling down, so don't expect an 1/72 version of that or probably anything else.  Do one kit really well eg 3 types of tyres and maybe more details I didn't see, rather than skimping on these features for multiple variants: I don't know. 

With the knowledge that there will be no high back version, surely the aftermarket will be encouraged: who knows.

Incidentally, again a little 'off topic' they will be announcing their other 2019 releases early January (4th ?): to quote 'more than last time' when there was only one!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NPL said:

The Mk. Vc is a different matter. They actually made one some years ago based on their old Mk. Vb, but with a new wing to a much higher quality than the original one.

I think you meant to say "...to a much lower quality..."  When I think of that kit, it makes me even more grateful/delighted with the trajectory that Airfix has been on ever since.

2 hours ago, Britman said:

I must admit I am having a bit of a chuckle to myself here.  Spitfire XIV in 48th,  at last! Where's the high back? It is a trait of this hobby of ours that no manufacturer will ever do the subjects that we all want. Who's for a 24th Miles M20?

Yeah, me too.  First of all, I don't buy for a second that Airfix will not (full stop) do a high back XIV.  It is just a question of when.  (Incidentally, quite a few high backs had 'e' armament, and they had full span wings generally.) 

Secondly, I could (or couldn't, whichever you prefer) care less- THIS is the one I've been waiting for!  (see my avatar, though you might have to squint.)

And finally (for the moment, at least), I would LOVE a 1/24 Miles M20!

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also think that they should release both incarnations of Fourteens. I also think that the idea of cutting wingtips to change into short ones is as genial as undercarriage legs in Ones and Fives. 

Am I happy that they are releasing Fourteens? Yes, I am, I am very much. And I hope it will be money well spent. 

And, if you guys in Airfix read it, please make control more strict (yup, I know, I repeat myself). 

31 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I think you meant to say "...to a much lower quality..."  When I think of that kit, it makes me even more grateful/delighted with the trajectory that Airfix has been on ever since.

Yeah, me too.  First of all, I don't buy for a second that Airfix will not (full stop) do a high back XIV.  It is just a question of when.  (Incidentally, quite a few high backs had 'e' armament, and they had full span wings generally.) 

Secondly, I could (or couldn't, whichever you prefer) care less- THIS is the one I've been waiting for!  (see my avatar, though you might have to squint.)

And finally (for the moment, at least), I would LOVE a 1/24 Miles M20!

The most important thing is the Mk.XIVe. It is a good starter, and it is quite easy to make a XIV c or e highback from there. And of course the aftermarket will soon deliver what is necessary. But I am not really impressed by what was said by this guy in Airfix dress. It is not a big thing to do the other version. But looking at the layout of the sprues, he might be right. But then it is obvious that they may give out a Mk. 18 soon. Otherwise I see no point in having full span wings on a Mk. XIVe. 

10 minutes ago, NPL said:

But then it is obvious that they may give out a Mk. 18 soon. Otherwise I see no point in having full span wings on a Mk. XIVe. 

the Mk.18 wing has different panelling layout,

so unless they are going to do a new wing I don't see them doing one, it will be an easy conversion to make the Mk.18 though.

As people seem unable to read and follow instructions to keep this on topic its closed down. The moderation team have enough to do without constantly checking these types of threads.

Julien

• Julien locked this topic