Airfix New Tooling Announcement - 1/48th Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV

Leamy

Sorry fightersweep, weebles wobble, but don't fall down!

And as a Brucey bonus, especially for our own TEXANTOMCAT, 'nothing for a pair, not in this game!'

According to Mr. Snowdon, one kit, best selling for the company, and the most profitable for the company, in this instance both one and the same.......:evil_laugh:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The top of the undercarriage is a butt join to a thingy pre assembled into the wing. There is a ridiculously small gluing surface for the join and is far too flimsy to be of use. I believe that inserting a pin drilled out into the two parts helps matters.

Trevor

Thanks, I will take it into account when buying a Spitfire.

:rofl2: :rofl2: I'll give you a clue, well multiple :whistle:

Not a Spit or a Hurri, nor a Lanc or a Hallibag, not a 109 or a 262 or an Fw. 190. Nor a Double Ugly, missile with a man in it or a lawn dart.........

Neither a tracked or a floaty thing! Oh, and not a 'Weird Oh'!

Yes, I'm old enough to remember 'Freddy Flameout' and friends!

Paul

• Like 1

So could it be a kit that wasn't an original airfix mould, say like the MPC Space 1999 Eagle Transporter, as the development costs etc, etc wouldn't have been there.....so higher profits?

Steve

Airfix mould, bought and paid for, from inception, through R&D to finished product..............and not anything from the

figure range's (any), trackside or Space, S.F. & Fantasy area's either! 

Well, I'm pretty sure it isn't the Boy Scout. 🤔

Concorde? Or maybe not a wingy thing. Maybe something with wheels....

Edited by fightersweep

On 29/09/2018 at 18:40, Mike said:

Can we get back on topic please, talking about this kit that IS being produced, not what should have been tooled to suit your personal preference :rolleyes:

This has drifted so far off the subject now that I'd not be surprised if the Mods lock it down, especially after 2 polite warnings

• Like 4

Guess the TSR2 in 1:72 sold out quite fast and was rather high priced for the quality IIRC. So maybe cost was not so high but break even was reached pretty fast.

Back on topic: I hope they include the Cleveland race 80 decals or even better make a civil racer boxing with race 80 and G-FIRE.

On 30/9/2018 at 17:28, Tiger331 said:

Another one to look forward to !. Having struggled with the Academy/Daco combination some years ago (my fault, not theirs) and finally abandoning it, I will look forward to doing at least two natural metal examples in RAF and  Indian Air Force markings.

Well Done, Airfix !

I suspect it was the Daco set.

I have the Daco set,  I think it's poorly done, and does out really fix the kit either,  I have read reams and reams of tosh about the Academy kit,  and as John Adams of Aeroclub pointed out, the only accurate bit OOB is the tail......

BUT, as the Academy kit problems are of the over size nature, and the panel lines are mostly in the right place,  for about the effort of cutting out a vac form or trying to graft on a Daco resin nose.... (which does not correct the wing problem)

Basically the Academy kit is too deep in the fuselage, and wing, and the nose ring is oversized.   The wing also has the too broad at centre chord that that the Tamiya Mk.I/V has (and the Occiedental and Airfix XII and Seafire XVII)

the good news is,  with " some modelling skill" , and a new spinner and canopy, you can just tweak the Academy... while the new Airfix kit should make this obsolete,  other who fancy working up their skills, or who get one cheap may want to give it a go...

Spit%20academy%20nose%20mod%20DSCF0709_z

here's the basic main tweak, slice out of the cowling panel to bring it up, an saw cuts in the nose to let you pull the nose ring in,  the left part is unmodified.

note the thick wing, this needs about 1mm taking out, thinning this bring it up to meet the raised lower cowl line.

There are more things to be done, but with the "recipe" .....  inevitably this like much of my projects got as far as the basic fix, and put in a box, partly as I only did some basic documentation....   

regarding the Academy low back,  they did a "Special Edition" boxing 

107291-12192-24-pristine.jpg]

which had an extensive decal sheet by Cartograf,  

This "Special Edition" kit from Academy features decals by Cartograf with the following markings: 

273 Sqdn. RAF SEAC, Burma, 1945.

4 Sqdn. Royal Indian Air Force.

Royal Indian Air Force, Indo-Pakistani War, 1947-1949.

2 Sqdn. 35 Wing 2nd TAF, RAF Germany, 1946.

2 Sqdn. Belgian Air Force, 1947-1950.

Royal Thai Air Force.

CF-GMZ, ex TZ138, Cleveland Air Race, 1949.

Which looks pretty decent on the sheet.

one to look for when the inevitable deluge of Academy kits ends up on ebay etc...  

Hope of interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

:rofl2: :rofl2: I'll give you a clue, well multiple :whistle:

Not a Spit or a Hurri, nor a Lanc or a Hallibag, not a 109 or a 262 or an Fw. 190. Nor a Double Ugly, missile with a man in it or a lawn dart.........

Neither a tracked or a floaty thing! Oh, and not a 'Weird Oh'!

Yes, I'm old enough to remember 'Freddy Flameout' and friends!

Paul

Mossie, surely?

40 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hey, we have a winner! Mosquito is indeed correct.

Congratulations 👍 🍻

Paul

Huzzah!  Hopefully the prize will be that it is 1.72nd scale.  And that it is a 2 stage Merlin example.

Edited by Meatbox8

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

regarding the Academy low back,  they did a "Special Edition" boxing 

107291-12192-24-pristine.jpg]

which had an extensive decal sheet by Cartograf,  

Which looks pretty decent on the sheet.

one to look for when the inevitable deluge of Academy kits ends up on ebay etc...  

Hope of interest.

Good shout on the decal sheet from this one Troy. Sounds as if there's a good range of options in there and potentially cheaper that an aftermarket sheet once they start getting dumped on eBay and the such like.

• Like 2