Airfix New Tooling Announcement - 1/48th Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV

Leamy

22 hours ago, Sonoran said:

I love the Nimrod, but 98.8% of people don’t know what it is, and it has no combat history, 

Falklands.both Gulf wars, Iraq and Afghanistan. Probably the Bosnia carry on too. Do missions in a war zone not count as combat?.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:21 PM, PhoenixII said:

Oh, and it wasn't a Spitfire......in any scale.

OK put me out of my misery..what was it?

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 5:39 PM, Sonoran said:

I love the Nimrod, but 98.8% of people don’t know what it is, and it has no combat history, no wide variety of markings and camouflage schemes, etc, etc.  

Seriously, what era were you born in? The Nimrod had a significant operational history in conflicts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

OK put me out of my misery..what was it?

According to this article on the Beeb, the best-selling Airfix kit is the 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I, followed by the Hurricane, Lancaster, and Bf 109G

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7131047.stm

The article is from 2007, but I doubt the result will have changed since kit volumes are so much lower now than they were a decade or three ago. 

I believe the best-selling kit of all time is the Testors 1/48 F-19 Stealth Fighter, which sold well over one million copies and sparked a Congressional investigation because the F-117 Nighthawk still didn't officially exist.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Got my pre-order in for six (free shipping to the US and no VAT; total cost £94.45 -$122.79 total or $20.46 per kit - awesome!)

Free shipping only on orders over 100 quid - otherwise over 20 quid for shipping up to 100 pounds. As a point of reference, Airfix USA is offering pre-orders at $29.99 and free shipping on orders over $50. 

May I ask, what are you going to do with six...? 😲

30 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Free shipping only on orders over 100 quid - otherwise over 20 quid for shipping up to 100 pounds. As a point of reference, Airfix USA is offering pre-orders at $29.99 and free shipping on orders over $50. 

May I ask, what are you going to do with six...? 😲

Well they use the pre-club discount total to determine if your order is over 100 quid. The club discount is 10% so my pre-discount total was £104.94 and qualified for free shipping. And it was basically 2/3rds of the cost of buying from Hornby USA. Actually, it's cheaper than if I lived in the UK because I don't pay the 20% VAT.

As for what I'll do with them, I have plans to build them all. That doesn't mean they will get built, but I do have plans.😃

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Stealthman said:

can this thread be placed under WW11 where it belongs please?

Please, not WW11. It's WWII (as in Roman number two).

WW3, WW4, WW5, WW6, WW7, WW8, WW9, WW10 & WW11 are still listed under 'future events'.

🤞

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I'm pretty sure that the Nimrod was produced in China not India. Not that the factory in China could not have made the same mistake.

Thanks for the correction. That conversation was a long time ago at Midland Counties! Ah! I miss that job.

Steve

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

Please, not WW11. It's WWII (as in Roman number two).

WW3, WW4, WW5, WW6, WW7, WW8, WW9, WW10 & WW11 are still listed under 'future events'.

🤞

Surely it should be WWIII, WWIV, WWV etc?

• Haha 2

So, I had to scroll a long way down the Airfix email to be disappointed that it isn't in 1/72nd scale.  They're a real tease, are Airfix.  It seems every new release they bring out that I REALLY want, Spit XIV, Sea Vixen, Javelin, Sea Fury, Meteor, Walrus, are in the wrong scale for me, sob.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

No. The point of the gag is that it shouldn't be numbers, otherwise the WW11 at the end wouldn't work.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scooby said:

The Nimrod had a significant operational history in conflicts.

Re-iterating what I said in post 128.

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Pssst. There were two Nimrods.

Anyone know if the Danes used the last of their survivors against the Germans in WWII ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

That depends, if there ever is a World War 3, there will probably be a comity set up to decide whether to use roman or arabic numerals for it ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

So, I had to scroll a long way down the Airfix email to be disappointed that it isn't in 1/72nd scale.  They're a real tease, are Airfix.  It seems every new release they bring out that I REALLY want, Spit XIV, Sea Vixen, Javelin, Sea Fury, Meteor, Walrus, are in the wrong scale for me, sob.  

Perhaps that should be telling you something!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, k5054nz said:

My Academy XIV and Falcon XVIII builds are all but finished and, as I don’t have any other desired paint schemes I’d like to do, I hope you’re all happy!

I’m excited to see more of this kit.

I’ve just bought a Falcon XVIII and also an Academy XIV that I planned to kitbash with an Airfix 22 fuselage so it looks like we’ve both done the modelling world a favour! 😂

I’ll probably still buy a couple of these though! 😈

Chris

• Haha 1