Airfix New Tooling Announcement - 1/48th Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV

Leamy

UL  and LL:  Upper and lower longerons?
Any idea what the upper and lower diagonals might mean?

Looks like the nose cowling of a WW2 fighter.

This is about four foot deep by three foot wide at frame 5 - which is (IIRC) the main fuselage frame for the Spitfire.  However the upper nose appears to narrow rather quickly?  Griffon Spit rather than Merlin?

Distances aft to each frame would have helped!

Well, it's one theory.

Edited by Graham Boak

4 minutes ago, spaddad said:

High Rich,

is that because you know for sure or just wishful thinking??? 

Dave

Good to hear from you

I don't know, but the drawing looks old (hence - pre 1970) it looks British in style (similar to others I have seen)

And Airfix kindly flashed a MkXiV spit in 1/48th when they announced this years kits, then removed it.

So pure speculation with a hint of guess work

Cheers Rich

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Dave

Good to hear from you

I don't know, but the drawing looks old (hence - pre 1970) it looks British in style (similar to others I have seen)

And Airfix kindly flashed a MkXiV spit in 1/48th when they announced this years kits, then removed it.

So pure speculation with a hint of guess work

Cheers Rich

It probably is a Spit due to the flashey thing earlyer this year but i hope we are able to convert it into HP Hampden ....

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That'd be an impressive conversion.

Not impressed by the enthusiasts on Facebook who think a Vulcan is only 3 ft wide.

Might be possible to compare these numbers with those in Monforton.  Indeed it is...  So that's what Diagonal X and Y mean...  But he doesn't use the same station references...  Interesting.

• Haha 1

Top left hand corner of the diagram mentions Station, I reckon the cryptic clue is a railway time table with all the rest added as a smoke screen, so, new locomotive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:yahoo:

• Haha 5

It's data from a Griffon Spitfire cowl:

seafire3_thumb.png?w=640

This is too small to read, but you can see the table below the section lines is the same format and has the same number of blank spaces as the one in the Airfix Facebook posting. Only part of the table has been reproduced so it's not possible to plot the points with the data given.

More here

https://hughtechnotes.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/aviation-projects-drawing-comments/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1/350 Ark Royal R09 to go alongside their recent FG.1? 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth to coincide with her first shakedown? New tool 1/72 Vulcan that we've been crying out for for years? 

Oh... silly me... it's another Spitfire. Thank God for Airfix, what with the current model Spitfire drought and all... :angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

1/350 Ark Royal R09 to go alongside their recent FG.1? 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth to coincide with her first shakedown? New tool 1/72 Vulcan that we've been crying out for for years? 

Oh... silly me... it's another Spitfire. Thank God for Airfix, what with the current model Spitfire drought and all... :angrysoapbox.sml:

The market for an accurate Spitfire Mk.XIV is currently as dry as the Atacama Desert!

• Like 4