Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a (1/72)

So, here she is. My first model in about, oh, lets say twenty years at a guess. An Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a in 1/72 scale:

IMG_0613

Handpainted using a mixture of Tamiya and Humbrol acrylics, and added some detail using Eduard photoetch in the cockpit. Also used the Tamiya Weathering Master sets for a bit of detail on the gunports, exhausts and grub on the tyres.

IMG_0621

On the whole fairly happy with a first attempt in a long time; the paint went on a bit thick so thinner is a 'to-do' for next time; also need to investigate dry-brushing and washes to try and bring the kit to life a bit more...but on the whole fairly happy.

IMG_0618

Pictures taken on an iPhone so apologies for the variable quality!

IMG_0624

All tips and advice gladly recieved!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pandoa said:

Great job mate- the decals look painted on too! Well done 👍🏽

Thanks; first go with Microset and Microsol...seems to make a difference!

8 minutes ago, J Sherratt said:

Nice work - I'm working on my second one of these Airfix Mk I's since my "return to the hobby" over the summer. John

Thanks! Its a nice kit to get back in the swing of things on...think I'll do another of these soon, though so much to choose from!

I'm a big fan of these "oversize" panel lines on these little 1/72 airfix kits- I think they really give a great opportunity to bring out some quality depth- you could also try (very carefully) running a blade thru the panel line over the decal to just push it into the gap that little bit more😀👍🏽

Also if u just flick that bit of decal off that's folded over by the pilots hatch so u can see the paint underneath u can start to give it that worn look-like u have done on the wing- which can make them look really authentic 

But great job mate 👍🏽

• Like 1

Well done on your comeback. This hobby is like the Eagles’ “Hotel California” In that you can check out but never leave 😆

That’s a well made model. I love these new small Airfix kits as they’re great for mojo restoring.

The only thing I’d say is that you need to paint the tips of the props yellow.

Well done!

Trevor 

• Like 1