Lightning F3

Ian

Kit – Airfix

Paint – Tamiya acrylics & AK Xtreme Metal lacquers

Decals – Aeroclub & Kit

Extras – Master pitot, Quickboost resin seat.

BAC / EE Lightning F3

Sqn. Ldr. George Black

111 Squadron

RAF Wattisham 1965

pWejwUT.jpg

09ahVz3.jpg

FQznVqN.jpg

ICv0Uzp.jpg

h98FTma.jpg

ZP7Ehhi.jpg

HkDp7AD.jpg

9cfsbXn.jpg

Built for (a total of) three RAF 100 Group builds on various modelling forums, this is Airfix’s original 1997 issue of the Lightning. Cannot recall when I bought it, but was a considerable number of years back and was always going to be a 111 Sqn. machine.

Build was very straightforward with no fit issues to speak of, the Quickboost resin seat simply drops into place without any surgery. Have to admit I was very worried about the original Airfix decals and the replacement sets from John Addams Aeroclub, especially as they were all looking a little aged. But quality control at both printers were obviously on top of their game on the days they were printed because they worked perfectly.

Didn’t want any weathering other than a panel-line wash as I wanted to depict my Lightning as it was just prior or just after the 1965 Paris Air Show, when 111 Sqn. sent a flight of virtually factory fresh Lightning’s to participate.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment, please feel free to ask any questions or fire any criticism.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pbaudru said:

The resin seat fits well in the kit cockpit ?

Simply drops-in, no trimming or cutting required. I think Quickboost do a couple of MB2A seats, I used 48-301 so if you're thinking of doing something similar, Pierre, that would be the seat to buy.

Ian.

Very nice finish indeed

I'm half way into my 23 Sqn F3 build did you follow Airfix instructions on the cable ducting? as yours appears to be far to far forward at the front and slightly short at the rear, only noticed when i was following the instructions that it made it look off so i adjusted mine accordingly.

Cheers

Darren

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MADMUSKY said:

Very nice finish indeed

I'm half way into my 23 Sqn F3 build did you follow Airfix instructions on the cable ducting? as yours appears to be far to far forward at the front and slightly short at the rear, only noticed when i was following the instructions that it made it look off so i adjusted mine accordingly.

Cheers

Darren

nice  build  nice finish

but im with madmusky on this the cable ducting is to far forward?

Allan

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MADMUSKY said:

I'm half way into my 23 Sqn F3 build did you follow Airfix instructions on the cable ducting? 

Cheers

Darren

Yep... followed the instructions not my references ! - good job it's not brain surgery, eh ?

Ian.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, General Jumbo said:

Lovely job.  I built this kit in that scheme a number of years back.  How did you find the wings? I remember being disappointed because the wings were warped and I wasn't able to build with the flaps down. However,  overall a lovely kit. 

I was ready for that, especially as many, many years ago I built the F6 and had exactly that problem. Not a hint of warp or misalignment with this kit.

Ian.

7 hours ago, rs2man said:

Can I ask why you've got a Firestreak on one side & a Red Top on the other ?

Artistic license - Surprisingly I have an identical pair in the spares box !!

Ian.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Excellent job all round and what a great NMF! are the AK enamels relatively easy to apply?

Yes, yes they are... low pressure, couple of light coats and bulletproof in 12 hours. No need for (Alclad style) glossy black base-coat, although I always spray over either a Tamiya or Rustoleum primer coat that I've rubbed-back with 1500 or 2000 grit wet'n dry or sanding sponges so it's a glassy smooth base.

Ian.

That's a real beauty.  Lovely and shiny, as a Lightning should be.  A great metal finish.  The colour schemes from this era are some of the best ever to adorn RAF aircraft in my view.  Would look good next to a 92 Sqn F2, with the earlier chevron nose markings, or a 56 Sqn Firebird F1A.  It's my intention to build a fleet of Lightnings with all those terrific markings but I don't think I'll ever get a natural metal finish as good as this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1