Hubcaps, how to?

JeroenS

Hi, I'm preparing to start work on a kit where, instead of upgrading wheels, I'm actually downgrading 🙂

The kit comes with these:

29997870327_bcdf8d13c4_z.jpg

However, since I'm replicating (well, we'll see how that goes) an existing car, I'm going to have to make this:

31061351548_3c4cd0848e_z.jpg

Plastic hubcaps over a steel rim! I already have the "steelies"

29997870537_dc96757635_z.jpg

but I'm currently still at a loss as to how exactly I should replicate the hubcaps... I was wondering: has any of you done something similar? Any ideas would be very welcome. 

Cheers!

Hi Jeroen,

That wouldn't be the Fujimi FIAT 500 would it by any chance?

I have very fond memories of building that. This was the end result:

y4mNgERClTIACoH2SS4WEuOp_cxHlWm82sW1_kO2

The only issue I had was fitting the wheels into the disc brakes. The diameter of the wheel hub was a tad (< 0.2 mm) too big. Caused all manner of headaches until I discovered what the problem was. A bit of trimming and it fitted... but since you aren't using the standard wheels, this may not be a problem.

As for your hub-caps, Maybe some thick aluminium foil carefully moulded to shape on some kind of Balsa wood former?

Though, those holes are going to be a bit of a problem ...

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks Alan, yes indeed it's Fujimi's 500. I checked out your build last week, it looks very nice. You're right, my main concern of the hubcaps is the edge with the holes in it... I found one kit where the wheels kind of sort of look like the hubcaps, I've been thinking of trying to convert those wheels somehow. But first I thought I'd tap into the accumulated wisdom of BM 🙂

• Like 1