Seafang serials quandry

SteveJM

Evening all.

So, after a rather nasty bout of labyrinthitis (a horrible inner-ear inflammation for those that don't know), which left me bed-bound and off work until I was able to stand up without falling back down and throwing up, I've finally managed to get back to the bench and almost complete the Trumpeter Seafang I started weeks ago. I'm attempting to build VB895 and I know the supplied decals are incorrect in both detail and colour so they're being discarded. I've located appropriate Xtradecal sheets for the  fuselage serial numbers, roundels and fin flashes but still have a couple of things that need answering if possible.

1) What size serials would have been painted on the underside of the wings, and can anyone recommend decals to fit?

2) I've not yet found a pic of VB895 which shows the upper wing roundel. What type and size would most likely have been carried?

As always, all help is very appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

VG471 was carrying wartime Type C roundels, so I would expect VB895 to be the same.

I'm still using my Modeldecal serial sheet, but it Xtradecal haven't yet reprinted it in their range, this is probably no use to you.  My AZ Seafang kit is the What-If option and doesn't have any underwing serials.  I really thought that was going to be more helpful when I started this paragraph.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:58 PM, SteveJM said:

So, after a rather nasty bout of labyrinthitis (a horrible inner-ear inflammation for those that don't know), which left me bed-bound and off work until I was able to stand up without falling back down and throwing up, I've finally managed to get back to the bench ...

Wow, you’re lucky, Steve.  I caught labyrinthitis a while ago, with the same effect.  My problem was (and remains) occasional bouts of giddiness and 80% loss of hearing in the affected ear.  The doctors I saw at my local surgery prescribed a series of antibiotics which had no effect so I asked for a referral to a Consultant.  “It’ll take weeks” was the reply so I mumbled “private” and saw a  Consultant three days later.  After a MRI scan ( he said later he thought it might be a tumour) the great man said it was too late to do anything in the way of remedial treatment and my hearing loss is permanent, and by the way here’s a bill for nearly £2k.  I do hope you haven’t the same problem.  You have my sincere sympathies. 

Getting back on track I have the Trumpeter Seafang and Spiteful kits so I’m following your thread with interest!

Jonny

Fwiw, I had bouts of what sounds like labyrinthitis, I knew it as vertigo & now I've "grown out of it" not had it for years anyway, but the fix for me was stemetil (?), an anti nausea drug, worked a treat on all but a couple of really bad attacks. I've also got hearing loss & tinitus, keeps me company on night shifts. ;)

Steve.