Chris and Mark's joint 1/32 Felixstowe build

Mark

So, what have we gone and done Chris? Oh yeah, I remember now when you convinced me to buy my first Wingnut Wings kit.... A few years later and here we are, still discussing when to start the Felixtowes that we have!

For those of you who haven't a clue what's going on, Chris and I are both fans of the Wingnut Wings brand and they have a superb 1/32 kit of the Felixstowe, in both early and late guises. We have often discussed starting them, but keep putting it off. So as a Winter project, I've forced him into it by publicly announcing the fact that he and I will be building our respective Felixstowes, Chris an early version, mine a late and using this thread as the 'Work in Progress' for the two of them.

We'll be starting them as soon as the bench is completely clear of other projects.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Did'nt tried a WNW, since I'm a 1/48 addict !

But the Felixstowe is really interesting ! So I will follow if you don't mind !

Then double builds are always interesting !

Okay, I sit here near the bar, let's the show begin !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Oh, and after we finish this one, Chris and I are going to do a double Wingnut Wings Lancaster build! He doesn't know that yet though.... :rofl:

• Like 1

After a board meeting, well, a phone call actually as the two of us left our respective favourite model shops, we have agreed on a start date. Next Sunday, 7th October!

So then... I’m back from my trip away with work and figure that I’d better put my side of the story across before it appears that Mark is bullying me into actually building something. 

For a number of years, I’ve been sat on this kit. Mark and I said when we bought our Felixtowes that this would be a once in a lifetime build - only for us to then buy another one 2 weeks later. I was very lucky in some ways - due to some water damage, I managed to claim the duallist boxing at a VERY reasonable price. Which makes it a little less sore as/when the disasters happen during this build. 

So... for the last 4 years or so, I’ve been sat on this kit. Not literally as it’s in a fragile cardboard box. Having built the W29, I’m starting to run out of excuses to use as to why not. 

For the last 4 years, I get the kit out, look at the rigging instructions, think “not now Pedro” and put it back on the shelf.

That was until Mark bullied... sorry... suggested that both of us finally take the plunge on these kits - and to keep up our motivation, the joint build thread should help. And provide adequate kicks up the derrière when we need them. 

As as a result, I’m going to be attempting the WNW Felixstowe Early from the duallist boxing. I’m going to plan the build out this week... just need to clear my bench now and let the fun begin! 

Chris 

• Like 2

Bullied? :rofl: Now who got me into these kits in the first place? Remind me please? 😏

But seriously, I'm very glad to be doing this alongside Chris as we can both keep each other's motivation up and share any tips and ideas along the way, as well as try and negotiate a bulk discount at the Gaspatch stand at Telford this year!

So, with just under a week to go, it's time to finish the Academy F/A-18D that has been taking up the space on my bench!

Good morning one and all! Today is the day and I can confirm that the first pieces of plastic have been removed from the runners.

The first runner that I opened contained the major parts for the beaching trolley, which is a kit in its own right! Then I saw the ailerons. Yes, the ailerons, which on this kit are bigger than a 1/48 Spitfire's entire wing!

So where are you up to Chris? ;)

• Like 1

So... I’ve made a start. 

Plastic everywhere...

45181617481_db41abb3db_b.jpg

I’m on a trip away at the moment, but intend to make up the beaching trolley at some point in the next few days.

As far as I can see, this will help provide a nice, stable crib for the work on the fuselage.

i’ve also Been planning. So what I intend to do is to use as much of the kit supplied etch as possible - but with the addition of masters lewis guns and a masking set. As well as wood grain decals for the externals. The internal side of things will be achieved using the usual oil paint technique that hopefully i’ll Detail in my next post.

I also intend to use the kit decals, however, my box was water damaged in transit and I might possibly have to change my mind on this as the build progresses! 

All the best,

Chris

• Like 2

So then... it would appear that I’ve bitten the bullet somehow and started work. 

A very careful study of the instructions was the first thing I did. And on the very last page, there were instructions for a beaching trolley. Well, if I was looking for something quick to assemble that might help further down the line, this seemed to be the right idea. Out came the snippets and off I went. 

10 minutes later. I felt like I had achieved something...

Felixstowe work

Feeling really rather chuffed with myself, I then shared a bottle of wine with my (long suffering) wife. 

The next thing I did was to look at the first few pages of the instructions to work out what pieces need what wood colouring... it seems like a simple job, but I ended up with a list that filled a piece of paper and was no use at all. So chronological attacking was the order of the day. Given that I get a few hours and then go away for a week, this will save me from getting very impatient whilst waiting for the oil colours to dry for the wood.

I started by doing the dark wood areas using my three trusty oil paints:

Felixstowe work

Initially, I sprayed an area of thinned Tamiya Deck Tan and then using Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna and Raw Sienna, dotted the paints onto the piece in question:

Felixstowe work

this is then Sponged over the top in a single direction:

Felixstowe work

Then using a stiff (giggidy) brush, I start working the oil paints in. Occasionally adding a dab of extra colour to mix it in and blend it:

Felixstowe work

When this part is complete, it should look a bit like this -  notice the extra dabs of burnt umber to bring in a bit of extra shade.

Felixstowe work

From here, I change my brush to a wider one and go across 90 degrees, making sure that every crevice (ohhh err) is filled (euphemism overload!):

44309471485_25a8f32b00_b.jpg

44498184274_dbb5b29e0a_b.jpg

And then it’s back to the old brush, which I clean and remove some of the build up from and then drag this over in the correct direction for the boards:

44498327004_12b33b3a42_b.jpg

So why do I do the 90 degree brush over? I find that by not only filling the crevices, but by doing this, I get a bit more of a swirl in the paint colours, which leads to a slightly more “authentic” look - “authentic” being my liberal interpretation of what the boards would have looked like! 

Anyway... this is where I am now:

45170169252_3ddc545f06_b.jpg

As you can see, so much more wood to do still!! I’m strictly rationing it - each time I go into the man cave, I do a new piece, it somehow keeps my motivation going!!

Felixstowe work

These wooden pieces will eventually have a thin clear orange varnish applied over the top of them, but that’s a good few days in the future now! 

So... that’s all for now!

Chris

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Reckon he's done a runner. ..!

Lovely bit of woodworking there.

I remember doing one of those wood boat builds several years ago and the kit included loads of fine strip woods of different sorts.

Would've been perfect for scratch building these decking sections!

I did a fair bit of research on the RNAS anti sub efforts in WW 1, in Cornwall especially, so I'm familiar with these.

You've got your work cut out for the next day or two ..

51 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Reckon he's done a runner. ..!

Lovely bit of woodworking there.

I remember doing one of those wood boat builds several years ago and the kit included loads of fine strip woods of different sorts.

Would've been perfect for scratch building these decking sections!

I did a fair bit of research on the RNAS anti sub efforts in WW 1, in Cornwall especially, so I'm familiar with these.

You've got your work cut out for the next day or two ..

Thank you very much for your kind comments - I reckon it’ll be a good few weeks more like!!! 😂 half the fun of this kit is working out what needs where and when! 

• Like 1

Lovely woodwork.

I have a couple of these in 1:72 (well, one of these and the Curtiss) in the stash, I can't imagine how enormous this must be in 1:32!

Ian

Lovely work there mate! I'm sorry for being AWOL, but I've been busy in the man-cave too! When Photobucket stops giving me silly error messages when I try to log on, I'll prove it!

As part of this build, I was hoping to use the lovely Pheon decals that I have, only to find out that they are for the early version and so are useless for this project. Pheon are not releasing a late Felixstowe set, so that leaves me with the kit's options. I think I'll go with option D, which looks like this:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3116&cat=3#

It's the fourth option, the one with the red forward hull and rear black/white dazzle pattern.

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think you'll find he can! :cwl:

We’re doomed! I’m not convinced he ever finishes anything anyway. His shelf of doom is larger than my stash no doubt! 😂

anyway... i’m Creeping off topic. Looking at getting some Uschi Decals later tonight to do the inside of the fuselage with. The simple reason is that they are thinner and less likely to cause an alignment problem than using oil paints for the wooden effect. 

Chris

1 hour ago, Chris Jephcott said:

We’re doomed! I’m not convinced he ever finishes anything anyway. His shelf of doom is larger than my stash no doubt! 😂

For once, you are right! ;)

Photobucket seems to be behaving itself now, so here are the photos of the beaching trolley that was completed today.

The parts were assembled and then given a light spray in areas that would appear darker with matt black.

DSC_1030_zpsg5k3bvmg.jpg

DSC_1031_zpsdinfvmt4.jpg

I had already decided to go for a worn trolley and as the chassis top was mostly painted wood, I started to paint the parts with Tamiya Deck Tan, followed by oils to create a wood finish.

DSC_1032_zps0wwd7xsj.jpg

DSC_1034_zpscgkze14v.jpg

DSC_1035_zpsbnq0aarf.jpg

The final 'wood' effect was then over sprayed with AK's heavy chipping fluid before being over sprayed with the final finish of a home-mixed Battleship Grey. Gunze Sangyo H317 with a few drops of H42 Blue Grey and darkened with a drop of H77 Tyre Black. This was allowed to dry and then the bit I love doing when using the chipping effects funds, the actual chipping! The metal parts were appropriately weathered and some MiG rust deposits added, along with various streaking effects. I could have done more, but at the end of the day this device is going to sit under the hull/fuselage and really won't be seen, especially the interior, so that was all left alone. Anyway, here it is, all finished and next it's on to start the aeroplane proper!

DSC_1039_zpsumhqexne.jpg

• Like 10

Wow! Such is the success of this site that, if you leave updating your thread for a few days, you have to go to page 6 of the WIPs to find it again!

Anyway, a few days in the man-cave have resulted in some progress and it is all about woodwork at the moment! Both real and illusionary. Pictures to follow later!