A delta cat of the African sort: HPM 1/72 Atlas Cheetah B

MikeR

Hi peeps,

Here's my latest completion for the year; High Planes 1/72 Atlas Cheetah two-seater kit completed as "860", a Cheetah B built from a Nesher T airframe obtained from Israel.

The HPM kit isn't all that bad, the plastic parts are easy to work with although my kit is one of the older issues with the overly wide panel lines. The resin parts were also easy to use although the biggest challenge was the LERX extensions as they're not a great fit to the wing after you've cut-out the corresponding areas so plenty of filler and elbow grease is needed to get a good appearance! I also declined to use the provided resin tail fin and ejector seats. For the former I used the plastic part so the panel lines matched the rest of the airframe as those on the resin tail are quite fine and looked out of place and for the ejector seats I used two modified MB Mk 10's from a Special Hobby Mirage F-1C kit I had in stock. I used the kit decals although I substituted Springbok roundels from Xtradecal's Mirage F-1 single seater decal sheet for the later Eagle ones supplied with the kit. Paints were Humbrol throughout with 125 Gunship Grey as the main colour.

WIP shot which I've already posted in another thread:

28868162007_6c8512de7c_b.jpg

Completed shots:

44878271852_82ab6872fa_b.jpg

43116065420_74625eed8f_b.jpg

44878272482_a7602765a1_b.jpg

44015905945_ea3f069bc3_b.jpg

44015907875_108194b178_b.jpg

44015906345_782807ce6d_b.jpg

44015907225_11582e05b1_b.jpg

43116066730_aba56d86ca_b.jpg

43116068080_881bc1757f_b.jpg

Comments welcome!

Mike.:)

• Like 27

Thanks guys!B)

I forgot to mention that I used a Master brass pitot tube intended for the AMK Kfir kit as I needed something suitably robust for the front end! It's also my first proper go at masking an entire canopy the hard way as there aren't any masking sets for the HPM/PJ Productions Mirage family. I'm not too happy with it and I had to do a fairly major repair job when I unmasked everything as some of the paint peeled away from the plastic but it looks OK from a distance.

12 hours ago, Avgas said:

Excellent job Mike. Looks fantastic!

You mentioned a WIP thread - would you mind linking to it please? I'd like to see how it went together. 

No WIP thread I'm afraid - the first photo is the only one I have of the kit "in progress". The only thing I could recommend would be to check through the Mirage Group Build from last year: LINK. A few of the guys built kits of the single seaters from both HPM and PJ so that should hopefully give a feel as to how the basic kit itself goes together. The two seater kit is basically similar although it does pay to test fit and re-check the fit of the cockpit section as you can end up with quite a nasty gap between it and the main part of the fuselage if your not careful. There's a pair of locating lugs which get in the way if you don't trim them off. The resin Cheetah parts are not too bad although the quality of the casting can vary between kits, between this one and another my dad bought there were differences with regards to flash and air bubbles etc. I wasn't happy with the resin ejector seats on both kits which is why I used the Special Hobby parts. In addition the usual warnings about working with resin apply - wet sand where ever possible to avoid creating dust as you don't really want to be breathing lots of that stuff in! My only major gripe is that no one has done a proper canopy masking set for it as it's quite tricky and time consuming to do, particularly when doing the front part of the main canopy with the rails for the blind flying hood. Not something you want to fluff as it affects the whole look of the model!

• Thanks 1