1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

I for one would love to buy and make this kit. I see it as an addition to the hobby and not a diminishment of the WNW catalogue.  

I have an ever growing collection of the beautiful WNW First World War Aircraft and have made a few now.  I even have the Felixstowe to build and I really have no idea where I will put that when I have made it.  

I will make this one for my Dad who has long gone now but worked as bomb loader on Lancaster during the Second World War, whilst my mum was at home helping to build Lancaster’s in the Avro factory in Yeadon near Leeds.  She is still alive and well at 97 years old....... 

Excellent choice of subject and if I was in Mr Jackson’s shoes I too would do exactly what I wanted.     😏

Edited by Bear Paw
Spelling
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

those pics are stunning ..

They are but I think we need to keep in mind that a CAD model doesn't have a physical existence, only the plastic parts do. Capabilities of the machines used for tooling determine if the parts are good representation of the CAD objects.

• Like 1

Hmm, I think the funds set aside for the HK Lanc are going to be put into a bigger pool for this. The detail in the stressed / quilted skinning alone.... wow. 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

Stressed skin have Big Airfix Tiffy. Impresive and very realistic detail. I hope in this nice effect on HK Lanc; especially when test shots from beginningnof Summer was bare - but final kit have standard riveting 😕 without this :(

I’ve had a good look at those CAD images. Unless there is an alternative part in the kit, they’ve got the tailwheel tyre all wrong. Thank goodness for that, I can save my money. There’s no point on wasting cash on a kit that’s so inaccurate. 😉😂

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Aeronut said:

I’ve had a good look at those CAD images. Unless there is an alternative part in the kit, they’ve got the tailwheel tyre all wrong. Thank goodness for that, I can save my money. There’s no point on wasting cash on a kit that’s so inaccurate. 😉😂

Thanks for pointing this out, they lost me as a customer......

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2018 at 6:27 PM, Aeronut said:

The early tail wheel was 'whole' whereas the later style had the raised 'anti-shim' with the central recess . . . .

On 10/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, Laurent said:

They are but I think we need to keep in mind that a CAD model doesn't have a physical existence, only the plastic parts do. Capabilities of the machines used for tooling determine if the parts are good representation of the CAD objects.

Those pictures aren't just CAD there is also a pic between them of a testshot frame..and it does look good..

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Since Peter Jackson has vested interests in TVAL (The Vintage Aviator Ltd) http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/  and also Omaka Aviation heritage museum http://www.omaka.org.nz/ being able to use research of an aircraft in multiple different settings makes sense.

It's his playpen, so he can "do" whatever subject takes the fancy / makes a profit.

Good on him, but flamin' heck... there must be some sleepless nights ahead for modelers, looking at the detail in the front area of the Lanc!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Britman said:

There's hope for our wallets!  That nose section would make a decent kit on its own,would it not? 

Keith. 

That would go to my stash for sure. Hope they pick this idea up! 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, spfparker said:

...and how many of those sold will actually get built??.. ;)

Kind of wondering that myself. I'd hazard a guess and say that a kit if this size, complexity and,, cost probably not far short of a real Lancaster is likely to have a fairly limited market. So, I reckon a fair number will be bought largely due to the "WOW" factor, will never be built and will then end up on ebay fetching even sillier prices? You could probably buy an entire squadron of 1/72 L.ancs for the price this kit is likely to go for.

Allan🤔 

Edited by Albeback52

I think £350-400 is an optimistic price as HK Models Lanc is listed at £399 - I bet the WNW will be more than that..... per usual practice there will be a limited production run I guess.... to hit breakeven/profit....

My stash is never considered to be an 'investment' just a pile of stuff I might build one day if the planets align and I get all of the required Infinity Stones. However in recent years there are these more 'boutique' kits  - older demographic - more disposable income (?) which may buy them as one might a limited edition print or diecast or whatever as an 'investment' or just as a thing to have and admire? Eduard Royal Class, WNW, your super high end 1/72 airliners...etc which often come with gizzits like posters, beer glasses, pieces of airframe etc....

If the Airfix Spit thread is right the 1/24 Mossie (and Typhoon) was the most profitable Airfix kit of all time and initial retail of that was well over £100 IIRC so maybe thats the way the hobby is going...?

TT

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

If the Airfix Spit thread is right the 1/24 Mossie (and Typhoon) was the most profitable Airfix kit of all time and initial retail of that was well over £100 IIRC so maybe thats the way the hobby is going...?

TT

I sincerely hope not. If that is the case then I will be looking for a new hobby!

Allan