1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

I know what you mean and it seems like it may have found a new home already. What I’ve seen of the WNW kit tells me it is typical for the manufacturer and it probably won’t need aftermarket, unless you prefer HGW fabric straps. As you probably know, it may only come with one full engine as standard with the option to purchase more but that suits me fine. Also, Richard Alexander said that they would probably not bother putting detail where you can’t see it but 9 months ago the plans were not finalised. Telford this year may be very interesting!!

Big bucks for a big monster ! This is why not every aircraft is produced in large scales... I am always hesitant before I invest such money on a model but feel generally happy afterwards when the model is completed. 

4 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

Big bucks for a big monster ! This is why not every aircraft is produced in large scales... I am always hesitant before I invest such money on a model but feel generally happy afterwards when the model is completed. 

I think that if you buy wisely then even though its one hell of a capital investment, because its Wingnut, you could always sell it on, probably at no loss or very little. Wingnut tend to produce maybe a couple of thousand of each boxing and a lot of those will go to regular Wingnutters who buy every kit plus, in this case, those who build 1/32 WWII airframes so I reckon Peter Jackson knows these kits will sell. And the when the 2,000 units have all sold the fun begins! Its bad enough with a WWI aeroplane which probably sold for £85 full retail that is now selling for around £150 but there may be a good profit for those who buy a Lanc , keep it for a few years then sell it on. It will pay to know the state of the kit market at that time but a Lanc may actually be a good investment, if you dont build it. But ten how much is a non-modeller prepared to pay for a very well built Lancaster B.I/III ? Mmmmm....... 

15 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I think that if you buy wisely then even though its one hell of a capital investment, because its Wingnut, you could always sell it on, probably at no loss or very little. Wingnut tend to produce maybe a couple of thousand of each boxing and a lot of those will go to regular Wingnutters who buy every kit plus, in this case, those who build 1/32 WWII airframes so I reckon Peter Jackson knows these kits will sell. And the when the 2,000 units have all sold the fun begins! Its bad enough with a WWI aeroplane which probably sold for £85 full retail that is now selling for around £150 but there may be a good profit for those who buy a Lanc , keep it for a few years then sell it on. It will pay to know the state of the kit market at that time but a Lanc may actually be a good investment, if you dont build it. But ten how much is a non-modeller prepared to pay for a very well built Lancaster B.I/III ? Mmmmm....... 

That's another good point. Either you buy for building or collecting, rare releases always prove to be good investments, that's why I try not to miss these plus many resin kits if they look promising. 

On the other hand, it is still a good choice from the modelling point of view in my opinion to buy these expensive giants instead of four or five mainstream moderately tooled kits. I used to think otherwise but changed my mind after a 1/32 B-17 and some expensive quality resin kits. It takes generally quite a long time to build these and one highly detailed kit easily offers a more enjoyable build than a few less detailed kits combined.

Agreed, it must takes months to build something like a B-17 if you make use of the aftermarket especially. On that basis it’s not that expensive compared to other hobbies but, on the hand, if you are collecting then it’s a significant capital investment. It really is the top end of the plastic modelling game but then I don’t feel so bad when you see how much model railway stuff sells for. Thank God I’m only addicted to aeroplane modelling !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid that the $ price normally translates into £ so $399 will become £399, but many retailers will knock 10% off so thats about £360. Even if it was more than the HKM kit, it would still be worth it!!

8 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Just been on the WNW website and they state that they ARE hoping that the cost will be no more than $399 which equates to £345 and would be less that the HK version in the same scale  . . . .

You need to account for frieght costs and import duty ontop of the wholesale price.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

11 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Just been on the WNW website and they state that they ARE hoping that the cost will be no more than $399 which equates to £345 and would be less that the HK version in the same scale  . . . .

That projected price has been on their website for a long time; I saw that back in July (see my post on the previous page)

and I don't know how long it was up before that.

As for buying for investment - I am aware that other 'Sold Out' WNW kits now sell for a premium, 

but they start off from a much lower original price than the Lancaster and I suspect that there's a ceiling beyond which not many people would spend on a plastic kit

just because it is unobtainable, because in the case of a Lancaster there is the easily available HKM alternative (I'm told there is a lot of unsold stock), which would satisfy most builders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

There's no import duty but you will have to pay VAT

Unfortunately that is not true, how do I know you ask? I got charged it recently. When I looked into it, any business order of over a £135 from outside the EU can be subject to import duty. Different items are charged at different rates. Even though I was self importing for private use, it was still deemed a business order however much I pleaded to HRMC it wasn't - I soon realised that I could quickly run up a larger telephone bill than the charge was worth and put it down to experience. Yes, it was a large order made up lots of items before any one asks. Therefore I can't see a pallet full of WnW Lancasters escaping.

What should happen, is the local NZ VAT should get removed at source a quick Google tells me that is 15%, UK VAT @ 20% is added back on at point of import, so there is a net increase of 5%.

There will be the cost of freight which I have no idea how much that will be, added along the import duty as above.

I agree with @Simon Cornes, that at this point in time work on the basis that $NZ price will equal the £ sterling price, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit more, but who knows?

Tommo.

It depends where you are in the world, "some fantastic place" being I suppose outside the UK, but I am speaking for the UK, this being Britmodeller and all. 

There is no rate for import duty for model kit imports from outside the EU.

They are commodity code 95 03 00 30 and carry no tariffs. 

Proof:

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9503?currency=EUR&day=7&month=10&year=2019

If you were charged import duty for bringing model kits into the UK, then you were charged in error. What code did they classify them as on your notice of charge?

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It depends where you are in the world, "some fantastic place" being I suppose outside the UK, but I am speaking for the UK, this being Britmodeller and all. 

There is no rate for import duty for model kit imports from outside the EU.

They are commodity code 95 03 00 30 and carry no tariffs. 

Proof:

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9503?currency=EUR&day=7&month=10&year=2019

If you were charged import duty for bringing model kits into the UK, then you were charged in error. What code did they classify them as on your notice of charge?

414310387.jpg

From your link its clear that a business import of plastic kits from outside the EU attracts 20% VAT and a 4.7% import duty. In my case my argument was it was a personal import and therefore should have attracted 0% import duty. Whilst being polite at all times HRMC were assertive too, but are clearly are the sole arbitor of what is deemed a business import and what is personal one, I had no where to go, so I put it down to personal experience.  I was wrongly charged because they decided it was a business import, not because they were kits. 

I have been self importing kits for 25 years plus, back when I started there was about a 25% chance you would get hit by a VAT charge and the attendant PF/PO cost, now I reckon it is up too a 95% chance. This is just another tightening of the noose, whilst I could try and argue it was a personal import, there is no way I could dispute what was being shipped as not being: 'construction sets and toys of plastic' and I can't see a pallet full of rather large Lancaster bombers kits being treated any differently.

Tommo.

• Like 1

Should be next year. Talked to the peeps on the WW stand. They’ve been working on it for 10 years, but Peter Jackson wants it to be absolutely perfect but they are just about there now. Best kit ever produced then? I’m thinking potentially. The stressed skin and detail levels are something to behold. I’m already saving up for mine (but a BIII). 👍🥰

• Like 2

6 hours ago, turnerdad said:

Should be next year. Talked to the peeps on the WW stand. They’ve been working on it for 10 years, but Peter Jackson wants it to be absolutely perfect but they are just about there now.

He's been trying to get his remake of The Dam Busters  film off the ground for 10 years - I hope that the two releases won't be linked 😢

Well I heard a rumour (so ok to spread it here!) that the film isn’t happening. He wants to do it as a mini-series like Band if Brothers instead as there is just too much that needs to be told. Now that would be pretty special! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Wingnut Wings - cancelled project due to WnW demise

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215551215532252/permalink/1208625439558153/

1/32 Lancaster, at last!

With the demise of Wingnut Wings, their 1/32 Lancaster, oh so close to being close to release, disappeared into the mists. It turns out there was an active attempt by several companies to obtain the molds and release it, and we now get to see a new division of Meng, "MingNut Wings" is the one to finally release what has to be the best kit ever produced of this iconic WW2 bomber. It appears they've been using the Mk. X at the Hamilton Museum as their main source of data, so the kit obviously can make a Mk X, as well as the Mk. I/III, but there's bits there to make the Mk. II radial engined model, as well as post war modifications for various RCAF versions. The fuselage is molded in both opaque AND clear styrene, with a completely separate kit of the nose section included in the first release. A huge array of the various bombs dropped by the Lancaster are included, including the Tallboy and the Grand Slam. Flight and Ground crew are included, and there are nicely produced prepainted photoetch for the instrument panels. Resin wheel with the now normal sag are offered as an option, with there being three types of tires in all inside the box. Rounding it all out, there is an astounding set of decals, covering WW 2 RAF/RCAF/RAAF machines, as well as post war RCAF and Lancs from Argentina, France and Egypt. Price to be announced. Oh, and as an additional surprise... APRIL FOOLS!

167472349-10224836463274494-600485203693

167610576-10224836457434348-310006496584

167670359-10224836459914410-571916467356

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Haha 9