1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

Need a new mid-upper turret too.

.........Patience is a virtue :)

Granted, seen too many photos of early Manchester's, with no dorsal turret and extrapolating to 'upkeep'  :blush:

Aye, though me Gran used to say "rarely in a Woman, NEVER in a Man"!

6 hours ago, 593jones said:

Need a new mid-upper turret too.  I'm sure all this will come to pass, I just hope I live long enough to see it!  I'm going to be waiting for the standard Bl/Blll, not too bothered about the Upkeep version.  Patience is a virtue :)

And if you're going to do all that, you might as well do the Manchester wings as a separate moulding, and throw in a York fuselage (including centre fin) and tail unit - result is two models from one kit, maximum bang for buck!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, elderly said:

and a stated  target price of between $349 to $399 - we'll see .......

An impressive kit by any standards.

By the time transport, import duty and VAT have been applied I doubt one will see much change out of £400, even at that price it looks tremendous VfM.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

I'm a devoted 1/32 modeller , but so far I've passed on the big beasts , B-17/HK Lancaster , partly because of size issues and partly cost ,

BUT based on what I've seen in the Wingnut Lanc, I think I'm going to buy this beast , the detail is just too tempting , and the chance to work on something that embodies the State of the Art in kit production  is just too much to resist . 

As to cost , I'm not rich, I don't have a huge stash , what I buy I build  , having said that I do have a monthly budget I stick to , and buying the Lanc means I'll not be buying anythign else for atleast  4-5 months , and that  seems like a pretty good deal I guess, since this beast will take at least that long to complete .

So Sir  Peter bring it on , !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my! That looks amazing. I would buy one in a heartbeat if a: I had the space and b: I had the money, which I'm sure I won't. Fantastic looking model though.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean1968 said:

Looking at that beauty, surely WNW will do more WW 2 stuff. Would be a sin if they didn’t 

It would be a sin if they neglected the already-neglected era of WW1. They'd also do well to steer clear of a market which seems to want a new Spitfire/P-51 etc that is just (if you squint) marginally better than the many others of the same variety which have been on the market for decades.

Fingers crossed a BE.2 family next.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

It would be a sin if they neglected the already-neglected era of WW1. They'd also do well to steer clear of a market which seems to want a new Spitfire/P-51 etc that is just (if you squint) marginally better than the many others of the same variety which have been on the market for decades.

Fingers crossed a BE.2 family next.

I was thinking the more neglected WW 2 stuff, plenty of choice. Once Tamiya nailed the Spitfire and P51 in 1/32 do we really need another?

I agree WNW should still focus on WW 1 but, who could resist a Gloster Gladiator or a Lysander from WNW?

Theres an massive interwar era they could do justice too. 

A nice Bristol M1.c would make my day.

• Like 1

Was that a Fokker Dr1 Triplane I noticed in a couple of pictures? 

Do you know, I'm surprised that they've done a DR.1 As far as I know, the Roden kit is accurate - well, maybe with an Aviattic tailplane and cowl, but pretty much there. I was under the impression that Mr Jackson doesn't make kits of aeroplanes that already exist? But then his Hisso SE5a contradicts that. Will I buy a DR.1 ? Not at all sure in view of the Roden option. The Lanc looks lovely though. The Chattanooga show looks very provincial, compared to SMW, I thought! 

17 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

It would be a sin if they neglected the already-neglected era of WW1.

Yeah, they've only done 67 WW1 kits in 1/32 over 10 years.

I'm sure they will do a BE2 family shortly but apart from that there really isn't a huge amount of worthwhile WW1 interest left on the shelf for them. So if they intend to keep going for another 67 kits over another decade they will have to find some addition to that turf.

Inter-war would suit their skills and could well be a logical extension for their customer base. So would the Edwardian era. Either of those may possibly fire the passions of the creative people involved, but I would imagine that given the resources that stand behind them, they will be going with their passions first and foremost, wherever those may lie once they consider WW1 effectively mined out.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

The Lancaster looks even better in person - it's a monster, though!

And from the comments I heard, kit subjects are very much in the hands of Sir Peter. It also sounds like those of us who are hanging out for an Avro 504 are in for a long wait...

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

I purchased the HKM Lancaster for £300 at a show. 

Researching the kit, reading all the build reports it has so many "issues" that I regret buying it. 

What really bugs me is the cockpit, it is almost a scratch build to get it right. Compare the WNW photos with the HK Models. The drivers seat is too far back, and too low, so the rest of the spaces are compresses. There are serious issues with the tail planes and engine cowl vents, all of which need surgery. If the WNW one was not in the pipeline I'd grit my teeth and get on with the HKM one, but I've lost all interest. 

See the "For Sale" section ! 

Well Peter this is obviously your opinion but I have seen a beautifully built HKM Lanc in the model display at Cosford which was built by one of the 32 SIG guys and it looks great. I assume he built it pretty much straight out of the box and it certainly looks like a Lanc and he used the  clear plastic fuselage to good effect to display the cockpit from the starboard side. I compared the WNW Lanc with the HKM kit at Telford last year -they were about 100 feet apart. I made the decision then that if I was going to have one Lanc then it would be a WNW kit and I haven’t changed my mind since. I see there is a Norfolk based dealer selling the HKM kit brand new for £300 including the post. I’m not interested I’m afraid.

Edited by Simon Cornes
Spelling correction

It can be beautifully built, if one is prepared to overlook the errors un the cockpit and open up various vents on the cowls and correct the fitting of the tail planes. 

I saw one at the Salisbury model show, earlier this year. 

The internet is a dangerous place, if i'd not discovered all the issues I'd of happily built it, but now I know they are present I'f have to correct them.  I've concluded I don't want to, hence the decision to sell.