1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

I absolutely agree - I hope not, but with spend per kit seemingly going up maybe the model market is doing exactly what is happening in other retail areas... I couldnt afford to buy a £25 kit then spend £100 on aftermarket for it but thats just me. My happily made £25 kit will be made to the best I can do and will probably have tape belts and spares box gubbins in the cockpit. Fair play to those who can afford to make these masterpieces mind.

Equally £450+ on one kit - with the acceptance that there is a LOT of modelling in that box - is beyond me, thats probably 2 years worth of spending on one project - PLUS where on earth do you put it afterwards! By the time you've chucked a full Brassin load , Eduard etc, new wheels guns, masks, decals or whatever else comes out for it I bet you wont get much change from a grand..

Bloody lovely though I'd have salavated over a Siskin, Bulldog, Avro 504, Wapiti, Hawker Bipe series first....

TT

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I sincerely hope not. If that is the case then I will be looking for a new hobby!

Allan

The hobby is most certainly edging that way, just look at the amount of £100+ kits that are coming to market. Furthermore, if Airfix are not afraid to enter this end of the market, that it is saying something. That is not say there won't be sub-hundred spondo kits, there will. But, the hobby is getting to a point where there are more and more modelers with disposable income, as well those occasional model makers that want a large conversation piece, just look at the rise of the large part-work models.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Kind of wondering that myself. I'd hazard a guess and say that a kit if this size, complexity and,, cost probably not far short of a real Lancaster is likely to have a fairly limited market. So, I reckon a fair number will be bought largely due to the "WOW" factor, will never be built and will then end up on ebay fetching even sillier prices? You could probably buy an entire squadron of 1/72 L.ancs for the price this kit is likely to go for.

Allan🤔 

That's  right, I have built about Ten of the same squadron for a lot less than that and I dare say,  a little more attractive to look at  . . . who doesn't like to see a line up of squadron aircraft rather than ONE great lump of a kit ???

7 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Those pictures aren't just CAD there is also a pic between them of a testshot frame..and it does look good..

Ok. The fuselage sprue pics may have been posted after my comment.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2018 at 12:23, TEXANTOMCAT said:

If the Airfix Spit thread is right the 1/24 Mossie (and Typhoon) was the most profitable Airfix kit of all time and initial retail of that was well over £100 IIRC so maybe thats the way the hobby is going...?

TT

You have only to look in this section to see that its not the case. There are lots of new interesting releases in all scales well sort of this price point.

Specs are now up for the B.I/III and it’s looking good....

32043 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.III in development for release in late 2019. Highly detailed RR Merlin XX (for B.Mk.1) or Packard V-1650-1 Merlin 28 (for B.Mk.III). Internal canopy framing. Dropped flaps. Removable outboard wing sections for ease of display. WWII era fabric covered elevators. European theatre radiators and nacelle intakes. Optional early & late tailwheels, unweighted or weighted (with full bomb load) main wheels, H2s Radar, 500lb (UK & USA), 1000lb, 4000lb “Cookie” and SBC bombs, FN.20 or FN.120 rear turret with optional cut away perspex, early & late bomb aimer’s blisters & windows. Optional dummy engine blocks so you don’t need to assemble complete engines to build model. Early DH.5/40 (needle) & late A5/138 (paddle) type propellers & spinners.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 6

I love the idea of this kit and if I can buy one I will make it. I love making Wingnuts kits I find them fascinating.  

I am amazed at the reaction of some people to this kit. No one is going to make anyone buy it and so if you don’t want to spend that amount don’t? 

I am so pleased that someone is investing this much time and money to produce kits like this. 

So I for one will look forward to it.  

I can’t wait.......

• Like 6

On 10/5/2018 at 10:41 PM, Masinissa said:

Maybe if we all buy this wonderful kit we will see Jackson's "reimagining" of the Dambusters film made?

https://dambustersblog.com/category/peter-jackson/

Maybe this release is somehow related to PJ picking up work again on the Dambusters remake project. After he's finished with "Mortal Engines" it's all a bit fuzzy about what he's working on next. The script is done (don't mention the dog), the Lanc replicas and interior Lanc mock ups are sitting in Weta's warehouse just outside of Welly. Who knows, maybe getting the Lanc kit going is a sign that work is going to kick up again on the film project.

Then again, maybe the film has gone pointy ends up and he's trying to make a few bob out of of all the film research by flogging a model kit!

On 10/4/2018 at 12:13 AM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The hobby is most certainly edging that way, just look at the amount of £100+ kits that are coming to market. Furthermore, if Airfix are not afraid to enter this end of the market, that it is saying something. That is not say there won't be sub-hundred spondo kits, there will. But, the hobby is getting to a point where there are more and more modelers with disposable income, as well those occasional model makers that want a large conversation piece, just look at the rise of the large part-work models.

Thomo.

It's hardly going that way. I'd argue the manufacturers have seen there is a market for a few of these products so are moving to fill, just like there is a market for Luxury cars.  

On 10/3/2018 at 5:52 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

- is beyond me, thats probably 2 years worth of spending on one project 

At the rate I build I'm not sure I'd finish in two years. And, if I stopped buying kits until I finished that one I would save a heck of a lot of money as well (of course, that's just wishful thinking!)

• Haha 2

Just a passing thought but, at the no doubt eye wateringly high price this will be , I wonder if WNW will include a 1/32 black Labrador dog to represent Wing Commander Gibson's politically incorrectly named pet?:whistle: 

Allan

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Just a passing thought but, at the no doubt eye wateringly high price this will be , I wonder if WNW will include a 1/32 black Labrador dog to represent Wing Commander Gibson's politically incorrectly named pet?:whistle: 

Allan

How should that look on the box, new tool .. thogether with a figure of Guy Gibson and his loyal but poltically incorrectly named dog....

Last year i saw a black helicopter with the registration N1CR .....i thought it was a little inapropriate..

Cheers, Jan

Once again we seem to be drifting down the negative route with the comments on here. As the thread is one on an important new tool we dont want to close it, however if it reaches a certain point then we will.

Just remember if the subject / scale / anything else does not interest you then you are under no obligation to make comments on it, just leave it to those who are interested.

Also its not the place for comments on "the dog" we all know his name and the problems it brings in todays society, so please consider that discussion closed. 

Thx

Julien

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I will strike a positive note .. I can’t wait pre-ordered the dambuster lanc from big h and have a hk on order too. Big lancs don’t come along that often. 

I don’t think the size will be a problem I am more worried about the 12ft 1/9th scale one I have in the dinning room :)) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, Masinissa said:

Maybe if we all buy this wonderful kit we will see Jackson's "reimagining" of the Dambusters film made?

Hmm, if he gets his finger out there could be a tie in for the release of the model and the film.  Not holding my breath, though.

It's all been said but... Wow! This certainly raises the detail / realism bar and in my mind has to be positive for the hobby if it serves to fire-up other manufacturers to match (although no doubt others will disagree). I would love to have one and, forsaking all others, think that I could pour months of work into her to create something "museum standard". Realistically I just don't have enough room unfortunately. I have just started a Tamiya 1/48 and is challenging me size wise.

On their track record I don't see anything that would stop Wingnuts injection moulds matching the detail of their CAD designs. And those CAD views make great references for use in building my Tamiya Lanc! 🙂

Rich

• Like 1

Hi

I have never had a wnw kit, but this may temp me

i went off the possibility of a hk lanc, after comparing on the work bench their mossie with the tamiya mossie, in my eyes tamiya wins, and i hear a lot of good things about wnw kits 

hopefully both lancs make the release and everyone can choose to buy which or none at all 

If anyone converts theirs lanc to a manchester and does want the merlin nacelles i will 😀

i need another set for a 1:32 beau IIf 

cheers

jerry 

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

If anyone converts theirs lanc to a manchester and does want the merlin nacelles i will 😀

There will still be leftover nacelles if someone decides to convert the kit to a Lincoln. Speaking of which, is either of HK or WnW planning to include the taller Lincoln vertical tails as are on the BBMF Lanc?

Email from WNW says they will be at Telford and will have Lancaster test shots on display.  Should be worth seeing!  As regards price, WNW say the following: Price is still to be confirmed, but we are doing what we can to keep it as low as possible and hope it will only be slightly more than 32801 Felixstowe F.2a & Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 "The Duellists".   The WNW website shows this set at $349, slightly more than that still sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 21:41, Masinissa said:

The lastest update on that blog is 3 years old. Something a little more recent:

Esteemed journalist Hedges-Stocks’s article on the 25th Jan. 2018 on Jackson: "so I asked him about the new 'Dambusters' film...was it still in development? Unfortunately, it seems the film has not got the financial backing that it needs and, after a year of initial work, has ground to a halt, with little chance of a restart."

Unless something has changed in the intervening months, not one for holding ones breath.

Thomo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid