1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

I think the thing that has hit the WWI fans, myself included, is that WnW are pretty much the only game in town for those wanting to build a lot of different models from that war while folks into WWII have Airfix, Hobby Boss, Tamiya, Revell, HK, Zoukei Mura, Hasegawa etc. etc. so it feels like we might be losing the only chance we had to see a comprehensive range of kits in any one scale to fulfill our desires. To hear that we could expect three new kits on top of the one they had already announced was a real "Christmas come early" piece of news and then to hear that two of those three kits are not only not in our field of interest and will most likely be all that is released next year but that they might well herald a change of direction from the only company with the desire and finances to put 'cutting edge' into the production of WWI aircraft kits is a little sad for those of us who don't have catholic tastes in era and scale or have decided to dedicate our modelling time to a particular era.

Great for those who have long heard of the WnW quality but never had any interest in the subjects produced but sad for those who know that the chances of their being able to get a 'full set' of important WWI aircraft any time soon has now gotten a bit worse or may even disappear altogether. Let's face it, if the Lancs fly off the shelves the company might well decide to concentrate most if not all their efforts on the WWII era. WWI modellers aren't naive and we know all too well that it's a minority sport which must limit the units sold and hence the profitability compared to manufacturing more 'sexy' later aircraft.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I think the thing that has hit the WWI fans, myself included, is that WnW are pretty much the only game in town for those wanting to build a lot of different models from that war

I did not realise that Roden has not produced a new 1/32 Great War aircraft kit since the Nieuport 24 in 2011. 

I didn't realise it was that long either but it has been a while. The only other company in recent times that has done much of anything in 1/32 for WWI is Special Hobby and, while their efforts have been gallant they simply don't come close to the standards that WnW set. Given the limited market I doubt any of the other kit manufacturers felt they could even compete with Wingnuts.

WNW is not a conventional model company.

You just have to understand that and accept it. They have no contract  to only produce WW1 subjects. 

The Lancaster announcement tells us anything is possible if it’s of interest to their founder...

Accept it and move on...

• Like 8

Oh I, and I don't doubt, most other understand that very well but we tend to build our hopes up that Sir Peter's tastes just might produce something that we want and we start to hope that that marque we have been dying to see will be announced.

Still, as I said before, it gives me a break from saving my pennies to buy their products and I can concentrate on getting the loot together to buy that expensive guitar I have been hankering for. 

12 hours ago, WV908 said:

It’s been mentioned on Facebook that the third announcement is a Manchester. Not sure how much travel that rumour has, but there you go. 

I can’t be the only person that thinks this Lanc is absolutely pointless? The HKM Lanc is literally in production now / will be within the next few weeks and there is already a dambusters conversion for it. People may push the detail aspect, but I can seriously see this thing being North of £500, if not £600. Surely WNW would have been better off doing a Halifax, Stirling or Wellington or sticking closer to home with an 0400 or a Vimy? No?

Cheers,

WV908 

Totally agree.   The HK kit will probably be very good and it's not even out yet.   Would have much preferred a Halifax Mk1 but obviously the Lanc's a more famous aircraft.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

@Mike has anyone volunteered to do the build review of the review samples.......?

Trevor

If they send us one, I'll be all over it like flies round :poop: I could be convinced to do a build review (very easily), and it would also be my first ever WNW kit. :o

Hi, only recently got into WNW although I did make a few smaller scale WW1 models a few years ago. My main interest is inter war and fifties aircraft and a bit disappointed that WNW may be branching into WW2 when I was hoping for silver wings types. Agree that there are lots of poorly kitted or unkitted WW1 types, many very important subjects such as the 504, DH6 etc. Beardie put it very well in his post.

Cheers, Paul

The simple answer to the dilemma of poorly kitted types is as follows.

1. Become very successful in your chosen career with ample financial reward.

2. Invest your money into your own model kit company.

3. Produce the kits that interest you to a superlative standard and critical aclaim.

4. Watch the ‘internet’ comment on your choices and wish you did other stuff.

That seems to work....

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Plasto said:

It’s got nothing to do with  ‘a Halifax is a better bet’ or ‘we absolutely need a sterling’ 

If it interests Peter Jackson then that’s what they do. No secret established fact. 

That's no doubt true.   I wonder if he knew about the HK one?

Maybe maybe not. 

I wonder if revell knew about the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D when they chose to kit that or if they knew about the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IXc before they kitted that? Did ZM know about the Hasegawa  Raiden before they kitted that? Etc etc etc...

Its open season out there. 

Edited by Plasto

On 9/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, Homebee said:

Three new Wingnut Wings kits in development to be announced at the All Japan Model & Hobby Show in Tokyo - 28-30 September 2018.

Source: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

- ref. 32043 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III : 1/32 - http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3193

- ref. 32044 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.III "Dambusters" : 1/32 - http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3194

- ref. 32062 - New Model in Development - Scale: 1/32 - http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3195

@Homebee

Talking about whatever the mystery third announcement will be, have a look here, troops:

https://hobbylink.tv/the-latest-scale-model-news-from-the-all-japan-model-hobby-show-2018/

If you scroll halfway down the page you'll see three photos from the WnW stand - there's a test-shot of the new Halberstadt.  But in the background... there's the artwork for two Halberstadt Cl.II kits - both "early" and "late" versions.  You can see most of the marking options, too.

Given that #32049 is already announced as a Halberstadt kit (no mention of if it's "early" or "late"), I'm guessing that the mystery #32062 will also be a Halberstadt Cl.II.

• Like 1

Further to my last:

IMG_4849.jpg?x53881IMG_4847.jpg?x53881

Hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by hotlinking to another site... I had a quick look in the Forum Rules, and couldn't see anything saying that it's verboten!  😇

Also... this thread has changed from being about the three mystery WnW releases to being about the Lanc(s)... apologies for appearing to go off-topic, but I'm loathe to start a new topic myself; perhaps @Homebee might have an idea?

Edited by type40
  • Like 2

Can't wait to hear the whining when Peter Jackson releases a 1/32 diorama kit of Hobbiton...... 

His money, his company, his choices. I don't care much for WWI subjects (Although I do have both the Camel and Snipe), but I don't begrudge you your niche. I am pleased and will probably acquire one. Whether I'll build it is another matter entirely......  It will be a seriously big beastie - nearly 1m in span - 3 feet in old money!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Plasto said:

The simple answer to the dilemma of poorly kitted types is as follows.

1. Become very successful in your chosen career with ample financial reward.

2. Invest your money into your own model kit company.

3. Produce the kits that interest you to a superlative standard and critical aclaim.

4. Watch the ‘internet’ comment on your choices and wish you did other stuff.

That seems to work....

You forgot a step:

5. See large fortune turn into much smaller fortune

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JimF said:

Myself, I could care less, I'm not a WNW devotee, just enjoy modelling WWI aircraft.

However, I can understand the negative comments, as a kit released of something a modeller does not want, or care about, means a kit he does want isn't being announced.

Jim F

But it will leave more time for the Wingnut collectors to get on with actually building something from their stash :)

Duncan B

• Haha 6

After sleeping on it what is now making me wonder is what will the difference between the HK 1/32 Lanc and the WNW 1/32 Lanc be?

Ok there is the obvious

1  The WNW Lanc will be  more expensive on past pricing.  Probably about what £250 more based on what they charge for large WW1 models eg the Felixstowe.  But thats not a given certainty.  The pricing of the HK Lanc might influence the WNW pricing - maybe?

2  The WNW Lanc will probably be released much later than the HK one.  I think a reasonable guess is 12-18 months allowing for the WNW dambuster model coming out first

3  One would expect the  WNW moulding to be more refined and detailed.

So if you are going to go for a 1/32 Lancaster is the WNW one likely to be a better model worth waiting for and paying more?  From what we know the HK team have put back their Lancaster several times in order to get it "right".  Lets assume that they will produce one to at least the standard of their B-17.  

Perhaps the best comparison is between the HK Mosquito and the Tamiya Mosquito.  There the Tamiya product is superior however the price points are not so far apart these days.  That being the case one may well elect to spend ones cash on the Tamiya model if only buying one.

With the Lancaster options its not quite so straightforward.  Pricing on the two will most likely have a goodly stretch of clear water between them.  Will the WNW Lanc and its anticipated improvement on the HK Lanc be worth the expected large difference?  Or will WNW surprise again with a competitive price structure????

Only time will tell

PS Glad to see Marty (aka Beardie) and the other WW1 fans get a new model as well so smiles all round in the end

• Like 1