1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

6 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

£2.50? £2.50? Cor, you was brought up in a posh house......

I'd have said closer to 2/6d

Don't jump the gun too soon!

Think your viewing through rose tinted specs......

around 5/6d - 6/- !

The original Airfix Lancaster was 7/6d as was the Halifax.

The Sunderland and Stirling were 10/6d.

Thats where my Christmas and birthday money went.

Well, multiplying by 20 isn't *too* tricky! Admittedly, I don't know *what* to multiply by 20! The price in guineas would be harder... Was it 21 or 22 shillings to the guinea? 

(edit) 21, and Google is my friend. But 21? What were they thinking? 

Edited by Chaotic Mike
Tweak

Learstang, the answer assuming an RRP of £300 is 6,000 shillings.

Chaotic Mike it's very simple....when you know how! it's just a smidge over 285 Guineas.

Give the man 286 and he can have a fish supper and 1/2 pint of mild with the change!

The Guinea is alive and well and to be found at all horse racing courses, it's the only way to place a bet, don't you know!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sundowner14 said:

Two things. 

First, the negative comments and almost self-righteous indignation of those that seem to question the right of a company to produce something out of what appears to be outside an idea of a price bracket amazes me. It looks like it will be a fantastic kit and why can’t that just be celebrated. But no one will be forced into buying one. Fact.

Second, (and I’ve thought long and hard about posting this but a previous comment pushed my button) as one of the few people on this forum (a guess based on probability I admit) who has been called the same name (in anger) as Gibson’s dog, why does that always have to come into the narrative!? The dog’s name was not politically incorrect. At the time Gibson and most of the general population knew no better and it was a reflection of society attitudes that it was accepted. Personally, I’m glad (and have benefitted I suppose) of the fact that times have changed, but I don’t agree that in the context of Gibson’s story, that the word should be erased from history. To make light of it though and bring it into this forum and others,time and time again, is boring. 

For the record and back to modelling, I will struggle to prevent myself from buying one. It’s a potential game changer for the hobby, in many respects.

That is all.

Sundowner, you Sir are a Gentleman of the first order, AND speak an awful lot of sense, Thank YOU!

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Peak of Plastic Injection Modelling ?   …, 

...yes, it will be. Even non 32nders or AFV modellers already have itching finger tips to go into this $/€/L 400 project (with another 100 for surrounding items). With an estimated batch of 1000 models sold in a year, summed up that will make half a Million - gone from the global customers modelling budget. Will that really be without Impact on the other brands ? Will the purchaser of a WNW Lanc invest another 100-200 into a ZM Henschel 129 or a Toryu ??? - or into 60 to 100 into high end models from KH,GWH,Tamiya,Kinetic  or others ????  There is more brisance in this announcement than initially percepted. From my estimation, only those models in the price tag from 15 to 35 will be unhurt concerning sales figures. 

Well, just another aspect of this coming kit.

I am wondering if I shall wait for a new decent 48th Lanc (which I will surely buy) or shall I....?

There is a "shock" factor. Brisance is a little pessimistic if you think it will blow away spending on other models.

What I'm concerned about is that Eduard and Aires will start pumping out endless sets for the 1/32 vier motors and ignore recent releases like the 1/48 Kitty Hawk Voodoos.

Polyurethane resin and etch gravitates towards money, otherwise the Czechs couldn't afford parties with scantily-dressed lovelies swinging in bathtubs.

Tony 

9 hours ago, tony.t said:

Polyurethane resin and etch gravitates towards money, otherwise the Czechs couldn't afford parties with scantily-dressed lovelies swinging in bathtubs.

Any visual proof of this allegation?!

• Haha 5

At least WNW is giving a sensable option of allowing the wings to be removed, one wing on the other off would almost fit in the display case of mine.

But then I thought the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon was a good idea, but ended up selling it on as I just didn't have anywhere to display it when done.

These will sell by the shed load and then like me people will come to their senses and think where the hell am I going to put it, but that wing removel bit now let me think 😋

43 minutes ago, colin said:

At least WNW is giving a sensable option of allowing the wings to be removed, one wing on the other off would almost fit in the display case of mine.

But then I thought the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon was a good idea, but ended up selling it on as I just didn't have anywhere to display it when done.

These will sell by the shed load and then like me people will come to their senses and think where the hell am I going to put it, but that wing removel bit now let me think 😋

Colin, I assume you don't know that the wings of the HKM Lanc come off as well? As per their B-25 and B-17 kits. WNW have done a better job though of splitting the wings at the dihedral break so allowing you to keep the model sitting on its wheels rather than in a cradle and also allowing the possibility of a Manchester conversion. The HKM imagery on LSP still shows it to be an excellent kit and we would all be loving it if WNW hadn't chucked their grenade through the door!!

Simon

• Like 2

Ah ,okay Colin. Yes you are right, WNW have done a better job in that respect to be sure. If you can take the outboard props off for storage then even better for keeping the entire airframe safe. I think HKM have been blinkered by their approach to earlier kits and missed the blindingly obvious in the process

22 hours ago, tony.t said:

There is a "shock" factor. Brisance is a little pessimistic if you think it will blow away spending on other models.

What I'm concerned about is that Eduard and Aires will start pumping out endless sets for the 1/32 vier motors and ignore recent releases like the 1/48 Kitty Hawk Voodoos.

Tony 

13 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

Any visual proof of this allegation?!

Well said Nick.  At last some sanity in this thread and good old fashioned British common sense - yes  come on Tony - lets see the proof or its never happened

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mind blowing level of detail having seen it today. The turrets are models in their own right, plus the stressed skin effect and beautiful optional Rolls Royce and Packard merlins on display. Heard it said price would be over £300 but ‘hopefully not too much’.

Mike.

• Like 1

The nose sounds a more realistic prospect for me, but it’s all depends on price.

As for colour schemes, I suppose it will come down to nose art. The 100+ club are the obvious ones, plus others like Mickey the Moocher, Uncle Joe (Stalin) and R5868. Post war RCAF MR.10 would be nice too. 

I hope that the stand shown with the display reflects how they intend to release it.

Trevor

• Like 1

On Wednesday, October 03, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Britman said:

There's hope for our wallets!  That nose section would make a decent kit on its own,would it not? 

Keith. 

I feel responsible now! OK what else do we want? Tongue firmly in cheek, ha ha!

Keith.

• Haha 1