1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

Yes, email from Jadlam today. I'm off to manacle myself to something imovable in a dark room,lock the door & throw the keys out of the window until this temptation ceases  

PS any one want to buy an HKM Lanc...going cheap!

• Haha 5

Just to check is this the 1/32 lanc kit that the experts said that if anyone bought one then Peter Jackson’s lawyers would personally visit each and every buyer in the night and steal all their after eight mints and replace the wrappers in the box/and or arrest the buyer, lock him in chokey and force him to break rocks in an orange jumpsuit in the Arizona sun? 

or was that a totally different 1/32 that was ‘never going to be released cos’ 

Just checking

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Just to check is this the 1/32 lanc kit that the experts said that if anyone bought one then Peter Jackson’s lawyers would personally visit each and every buyer in the night and steal all their after eight mints and replace the wrappers in the box/and or arrest the buyer, lock him in chokey and force him to break rocks in an orange jumpsuit in the Arizona sun? 

Just checking

TT

Yes 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Just checking

TT

Even if they did it wouldn’t worry me.   I laugh in the face of such threats

Now just the thought of Mrs T spotting a box  that size being delivered results in a change of undies. Now that’s what I call a threat.      

• Haha 10

13 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Just checking

TT

that’s fine, I’ve got Gollum as my security. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Just been notified that my one is being delivered by courier tomorrow  :frantic::yahoo:

And Mrs T is likely to be out all day  :pray:

:D

Result 👍

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sinnerboy said:

Result 👍

Ha - ha!!

I got the e-mail to but my bank is in the process of switching the cash to another bank account so I bet I have to wait until Monday!!

An update - checked the bank - money in, order placed!! As it was done in the evening I decided not to bother to pay for a 24 hour delivery - or pay £10 odd for a Saturday delivery - so, hopefully it will turn up on Monday!

I have decided to photograph the parcel as I receive its and as I unpack it just in case there is any damage. I certainly hope not but I feel the need to record exactly how it is on arrival!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I certainly hope not but I feel the need to record exactly how it is on arrival!

Yes...the various postings of smashed canopies so far haven't filled me with confidence 🤔

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

Yes...the various postings of smashed canopies so far haven't filled me with confidence 🤔

The UK importers Albion Alloys have opened each of the boxes the were supplied with before sending them on to distributors. I understand that they will replace any broken parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question that may have already been answered, but here it goes: how did Wingnut Wings/Border Models work out the 'oil-canning' effect on the external skin? Did they look at period photographs? Did they look at extant airframes? Did they do both? If they based the effect mainly on looking at 75-year-old plus airframes, then the effect might be overdone. From photographs I've seen of the Border Models Lancaster, I'm not sure if I like the effect or not. I suppose I'd need to see the model in person to be certain, but I'm not shelling out 800USD for the privilege, at least not yet.

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

I have a question that may have already been answered, but here it goes: how did Wingnut Wings/Border Models work out the 'oil-canning' effect on the external skin? Did they look at period photographs? Did they look at extant airframes? Did they do both? If they based the effect mainly on looking at 75-year-old plus airframes, then the effect might be overdone. From photographs I've seen of the Border Models Lancaster, I'm not sure if I like the effect or not. I suppose I'd need to see the model in person to be certain, but I'm not shelling out 800USD for the privilege, at least not yet.

Regards,

Jason

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I suppose it all rests on how long it takes for the effect to start showing due to stress and flying hours of individual aircraft. ( some nice close ups of new build aircraft would be useful)  I found this link which shows loads of close ups of Lancaster noses and fuselages and although the effect is clearly shown the 'severity' of it certainly varies. 

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/lanc/

Edited by keithjs
  • Thanks 1

I was talking to a chap a couple of weeks back who had the Border kit but we also building an HKM Dambuster. His view was that those airframes were so new that there would be very little tin canning. On the other hand, if you want to build a ton up Lanc then the more tin canning the better - horses for courses. 
Having been able to compare both kits directly at SMW I would say that the finesse of detail in the Wingnut kit was of a different order. A bit like Tamiya and Airfix in the 70’s if you can relate to that. At that point I had no doubt about which kit I wanted! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I was talking to a chap a couple of weeks back who had the Border kit but we also building an HKM Dambuster. His view was that those airframes were so new that there would be very little tin canning. On the other hand, if you want to build a ton up Lanc then the more tin canning the better - horses for courses. 
Having been able to compare both kits directly at SMW I would say that the finesse of detail in the Wingnut kit was of a different order. A bit like Tamiya and Airfix in the 70’s if you can relate to that. At that point I had no doubt about which kit I wanted! 

Indeed, I agree. Heres a couple of photos from my previous link.( I particularly like the 'gaffa tape' around the joint of the turret housing!) The B/W ones shows a quite extensive effect and the colour one very little. Both taken I would guess around the same time.?

52186047159_3eb3b68f17_b.jpgLancaster_KM-J_44_Sqn_damage_after_Peenemunde_raid

52185796266_c26470fd95_b.jpgLancaster_bomber_R5540_Waddington_2 

Edited by keithjs
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Alan P said:

I think that's the point...this is stressed skin due to the construction technique, not wear and tear! 

Thats good enough for me.

I was just on the point of ordering the Border Models kit when I realised that I wasn't willing to pay 800USD for a kit, even if it's of a subject I've always dreamed about having (a 1/32nd scale Lancaster). Instead, I ordered the Hong Kong Models Lancaster. Who knows, I may very well still end up ordering the Border Models kit, but for now at least, I saved myself 400USD, which buys a lot of other kits!

Regards,

Jason

Well mine has arrived at last. Tiny crease on one corner of the box top but the clear parts look absolutely fine and were well wrapped and packed. For those contemplating how to smuggle theirs in I can say the box is smaller than you would expect but it is quite deep. First glance at the skin wrinkling it looks quite subtle and it does it for me.

Probably the last model I will ever buy if my partner finds out how much it was.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Mine arrived and due to work there was a very cursory box open and look at the clear parts. A first quick look says no breakages and not spotted a flow line in the clear but will look again properly tomorrow 

I did spot a very slight scuffing on two of the bigger parts but nothing that a tiny bit of polishing won’t remove

Box is”deep” indeed

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 8:59 PM, Simon Cornes said:

An update - checked the bank - money in, order placed!! As it was done in the evening I decided not to bother to pay for a 24 hour delivery - or pay £10 odd for a Saturday delivery - so, hopefully it will turn up on Monday!

I have decided to photograph the parcel as I receive its and as I unpack it just in case there is any damage. I certainly hope not but I feel the need to record exactly how it is on arrival!

See Border have not only provided you us all with the opportunity to purchase the best quality made kit to date and in a subject most would like. They’ve also created the anxious disposition of whether your canopy will be cracked/scratched until you open your kit. It’s the whole host of emotional experiences🤪 = the 4 C’s;  cash/cracks/conceal from your partner/cannot build it(it’s too nice):lalala:

Edited by speedy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7