Jump to content

1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released


Homebee

Recommended Posts

I’ve just spoken to Albion

1. The release date by Border was originally December then it was January and the latest is March. I have read that it was the finalising of the instructions that was remaining to be completed before they went to print.

2. The chap at Albion said that they hoped to have the kit in early May but I suggested to him that June might be more realistic because MBK in Germany were anticipating early March when the kit was thought to be available in the Far East before Christmas. By extrapolation I end up with June so I’m managing my expectations and thinking I’ve got another 2-3 months to plan the heist!! 
 And if it does appear in early May, well hurrah!!

So that gives us another 3 months or so to continue to speculate!! Happy days!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

 

Yes.

 

4 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

And it includes blanks if you just want to fit the exhausts although I imagine you’ll have to fit the radiator

 Great thanks, I had obviously missed this but somewhere it now rings a bell.

 

I cannot imagine how good this kit might be and no need for aftermarket... if we're lucky 🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time we get a forecast from dealers/importer it seems to go back a month ! . Still if it`s May it will be just in time for my 87th birthday .

That way I`ll feel more easy in " splashing the cash ".

                                                                                  Don .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to admit that I had decided that I couldn't justify the cost of this.  Nor do I realistically have the space to store it once built, almost a metre's wingspan!  But having watched the video on Andy's HHQ, I was stunned by the model, the number of parts, the oil-canning effects, the detail, and now I'm thinking........... "what do I have to give up to get one?"

 

Still would have nowhere to display/store the model and still think that the price is out of my range, even if it works out way less than £1 per part, but I find myself wanting one.  Foolish - I've still got a 1/24 Mosquito and Typhoon in the stash to build with no sign of a start date for wither of them, what would I do with a 1/32 Lancaster??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I have to admit that I had decided that I couldn't justify the cost of this.  Nor do I realistically have the space to store it once built, almost a metre's wingspan!  But having watched the video on Andy's HHQ, I was stunned by the model, the number of parts, the oil-canning effects, the detail, and now I'm thinking........... "what do I have to give up to get one?"

 

Still would have nowhere to display/store the model and still think that the price is out of my range, even if it works out way less than £1 per part, but I find myself wanting one.  Foolish - I've still got a 1/24 Mosquito and Typhoon in the stash to build with no sign of a start date for wither of them, what would I do with a 1/32 Lancaster??

To tempt you Roland I would mention that the wings outboard of the inboard nacelles are detachable thereby easing the storage issue although it still applies if you want to display at home with wings on! I'm waiting for some enterprising cabinet maker to produce a not too expensive coffee table which incorporates a 1m x 70cm x 80cm glass or perspex box with an optional mirror base! Might also work for a B-17 but maybe we shouldn't go there?!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I'm waiting for some enterprising cabinet maker to produce a not too expensive coffee table which incorporates a 1m x 70cm x 80cm glass or perspex box with an optional mirror base! Might also work for a B-17 but maybe we shouldn't go there?!!


Due to the communication issues with written text I’m not sure if that suggestion is serious or tongue in cheek. It is though a good one either way Simon. Decades ago I saw coffee tables with glass centres with large ship models inside and always wondered about doing something similar 

 

I recall HK B-17 could be wall mounted. I wonder if such a mounting could be devised to put it (or any Lanc or similar model) in a wall mounted glass display cabinet with a mirror background rather like a 3d picture? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, JohnT said:


Due to the communication issues with written text I’m not sure if that suggestion is serious or tongue in cheek. It is though a good one either way Simon. Decades ago I saw coffee tables with glass centres with large ship models inside and always wondered about doing something similar 

 

I recall HK B-17 could be wall mounted. I wonder if such a mounting could be devised to put it (or any Lanc or similar model) in a wall mounted glass display cabinet with a mirror background rather like a 3d picture? 

It was quite serious John and it might get around the display problem. My thoughts had also extended to internal cabinet lighting (self contained and battery operated to avoid wires across floors and there are those who might incorporate vehicles or figures to make a diorama. Definitely all possible and it might serve to both protect a very valuable and potentially fragile model and also serve a useful purpose with 'the management'. After all you could always put a table cloth on top if you had non-modelling guests around - although I can't imagine why you would! And with longer legs it might also work well against a wall - if you had a home with the proportions that might allow it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

It was quite serious John and it might get around the display problem. My thoughts had also extended to internal cabinet lighting (self contained and battery operated to avoid wires across floors and there are those who might incorporate vehicles or figures to make a diorama. Definitely all possible and it might serve to both protect a very valuable and potentially fragile model and also serve a useful purpose with 'the management'. After all you could always put a table cloth on top if you had non-modelling guests around - although I can't imagine why you would! And with longer legs it might also work well against a wall - if you had a home with the proportions that might allow it!


Sold to me Simon. I’ll take two. When’s delivery? :rofl:
 

Good thinking mind

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I have to admit that I had decided that I couldn't justify the cost of this.  Nor do I realistically have the space to store it once built, almost a metre's wingspan!  But having watched the video on Andy's HHQ, I was stunned by the model, the number of parts, the oil-canning effects, the detail, and now I'm thinking........... "what do I have to give up to get one?"

 

Still would have nowhere to display/store the model and still think that the price is out of my range, even if it works out way less than £1 per part, but I find myself wanting one.  Foolish - I've still got a 1/24 Mosquito and Typhoon in the stash to build with no sign of a start date for wither of them, what would I do with a 1/32 Lancaster??

Don't forget it's only 28cm wide with the outer wings removed.

 

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3193

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JohnT said:


Sold to me Simon. I’ll take two. When’s delivery? :rofl:
 

Good thinking mind

Ah, therein lies the rub!! I wonder how much one would cost? The best thing is to appeal to Ikea’s idea of the bizarre and then they can make one and call it Lanc - it must mean something in Swedish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Ah, therein lies the rub!! I wonder how much one would cost? The best thing is to appeal to Ikea’s idea of the bizarre and then they can make one and call it Lanc - it must mean something in Swedish?

Well they did have 1 

from good old wiki

 

Försökscentralen (Swedish Test Establishment) at Malmen near Linköping received one Lancaster I (ex-RAF RA805) designated Tp 80 and the SwAF/n 80001. Aircraft was modified by Avro company for jet engine testbed duties and delivered from UK in May 1951. The only Swedish Lancaster crashed in 1956.[6]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Well they did have 1 

from good old wiki

 

Försökscentralen (Swedish Test Establishment) at Malmen near Linköping received one Lancaster I (ex-RAF RA805) designated Tp 80 and the SwAF/n 80001. Aircraft was modified by Avro company for jet engine testbed duties and delivered from UK in May 1951. The only Swedish Lancaster crashed in 1956.[6]

Seems as though the closest thing is the word Lan and that means ‘county’ so I’m not sure how well that would sit with IKEA furniture naming!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

To tempt you Roland I would mention that the wings outboard of the inboard nacelles are detachable thereby easing the storage issue although it still applies if you want to display at home with wings on! I'm waiting for some enterprising cabinet maker to produce a not too expensive coffee table which incorporates a 1m x 70cm x 80cm glass or perspex box with an optional mirror base! Might also work for a B-17 but maybe we shouldn't go there?!!

You mean like this? 

 

y4mgYl_rwjUrDe7f3XMrJz1OC9ufSQU3q3367wi0

 

Mike

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

You mean like this? 

 

y4mgYl_rwjUrDe7f3XMrJz1OC9ufSQU3q3367wi0

 

Mike

Sort of. In my mind the top of the case would be flush with the coffee table top so the bulk of the case would be below but that is very impressive. It has to be said that it’s dammed big too!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine those aren't cheap. I got the table from eBay (£150?) then had the perspex box fabricated, and that was several hundred, if I recall correctly. However, it makes a nice presence in the living room. God, my wife is accommodating! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Funny, I was just looking at these this evening...

https://glassfurniture.co.uk/model-display-tables-display-coffee-tables/

That is definitely worth checking out. Might just do the job mind you I almost bought a display case designed for a period ship. It was about 4 feet tall , 3 feet long and maybe a foot deep and when I saw it, it wouldn’t fit into my car!! Just a touch too big but only £30 !! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Ah, therein lies the rub!! I wonder how much one would cost? The best thing is to appeal to Ikea’s idea of the bizarre and then they can make one and call it Lanc - it must mean something in Swedish?

If you draw it up in CAD,  create a cut list, make it from ply and / or MDF, the most expensive part will be the glass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I have to admit that I had decided that I couldn't justify the cost of this.  Nor do I realistically have the space to store it once built, almost a metre's wingspan!  But having watched the video on Andy's HHQ, I was stunned by the model, the number of parts, the oil-canning effects, the detail, and now I'm thinking........... "what do I have to give up to get one?"

 

Still would have nowhere to display/store the model and still think that the price is out of my range, even if it works out way less than £1 per part, but I find myself wanting one.  Foolish - I've still got a 1/24 Mosquito and Typhoon in the stash to build with no sign of a start date for wither of them, what would I do with a 1/32 Lancaster??

 

I was in the same boat as you until I saw the MBK unboxing video and I was sold.   

 

Not sure that I will ever build it, but I do want it for reference.

 

Anyways, If I can convince wifey that this is a great coffee table I might be more inclined to build it!

https://www.showfront.com.au/collectors/ct900-coffee-table-display-case

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing a spectacular and spectacularly well hyped model like this does is generate spectacular ideas about what to do with it. A £600 kit in a cabinet for £1000; what's wrong with that?

 

My unspectacular building skills for one thing. 😉

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

One thing a spectacular and spectacularly well hyped model like this does is generate spectacular ideas about what to do with it. A £600 kit in a cabinet for £1000; what's wrong with that?

 

My unspectacular building skills for one thing. 😉

Ah well you should go for the table with solid sides and top then!! 🤩 I suspect that you underestimate your own ability 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

 

 

My unspectacular building skills for one thing. 😉


Still better than mine :D

 

An expensive case to show off, sorry edit “display” ones models is not a bad thing come to think on it. I suppose in a world where kit prices, sizes and sophistication have increased exponentially as well as effort and build time it makes sense to do fewer kits but give them better display facilities. I recall a shelf lined teenage bedroom with models all round the room collecting dust and the evil eye of my Mum plus duster with me doing a “they shall not pass” rearguard.   Days long gone. If I take a year or more to build a 1/32 Lanc it makes sense to do something to keep it safe, clean and on view

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, JohnT said:

 If I take a year or more to build a 1/32 Lanc it makes sense to do something to keep it safe, clean and on view

Exactly John, with the cost of top line kits and the detail complexity of them now,I don't think you can compare them to kits built years ago hanging from the ceiling or stacked on shelves.

If you have put the time and effort into creating something you want to display a dust free environment is a must nowadays

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...