1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

12 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I wonder if the two mouldings are the same thickness? I'm no plastic moulding expert and I don't know if the HKM kit has a separate canopy frame but I get the feeling that the Bordernut kit is at the limit of plastic injection moulding technology. If I saw a Bordernut Lanc built and knew nothing about the issues that are topical right now I probably wouldn't think there was anything wrong. Maybe we are looking for something perfect? I would say that it is Wingnut quality and I'd be interested to know how Richard Alexander would have tackled the canopy issue. They might have redesigned the mould and done something less ambitious but now that I have glazing without cracks I feel quite happy with the situation.

The problem with the HK kit is that the cockpit is a work of fiction.

12 minutes ago, avro683 said:

Oh, well in that case the small imperfections in the BorderNut canopy are no big deal! 
I must admit I didn’t know that so much work was required with the HKM kit but the BorderNut cockpit looked lovely the first time I saw it!

On 06/07/2022 at 08:44, Ali62 said:

THE NEXT BIG THING, just remember that a full set of clear cast resin parts will probably start setting you back in the region of possibly £40-£50.00 PLUS SHIPPING (pure guess / estimation) BUT how many of you would be prepared to pay that?

Ali - just got mine from Hannants, no cracks but quite a few of the could mould lines, and the big radome thing has a lot of what looks like scraping on it

I would be up for an upgrade set at that sort of pricing

Hi Ali, I've already sent a PM via your website, but to confirm here that I will definitely be interested in buying a set from you if released.

Cheers!

This might interest some people, it has certainly kept me occupied for a few days!

I have compiled a parts list. Basically I have gone from one end of the instructions to the other and made a list grouped from 1 to ..... for each sprue. Why?  Well the sprue maps in the instructions are practically useless and I was interested to know if there were any 'unused' parts on the sprues which might indicate another release - maybe a Dambuster? In truth, if the moulds only last for a short run then maybe Border won't get that far ! 

This is sprue A:- 

1 Gee whip aerial mount / Drift recorder

2 Z Equipment rings to fit into bomb aimer’s blister - 2 of (Post June 1944)

3 Vertical component - left hand cockpit sidewall / component fitting to F9

6 Nose turret - gun mounting part

8 Nose turret - gun mounting part

9 Nose turret - internal frame - left

10 Control columns yoke

11 Navigator’s angle poise light

12 Control panel at left of bomb aimers position forward nose

13 Bomb sight component

14 Bomb sight component

15 Pitot tube - late - from Mid 1944

16 DF loop

17 Rebecca aerial - late - vertical dipoles - 2 of (mid 1944, replaces Lorenz)

18 2 of - bomb aimers equipment tubular frame

19 Forward Mandrel aerial pole -100 Group only

20 Bomb sight component

21 Frame for bomb aimers camera

22 Left hand cockpit floor (below pilot’s seat) vertical support

23 Unidentified component and pipes fitted to right rear of pilots seat floor

24 Radio gear

25 Nose/Upper turret - internal frame for reflector gun sight

26 Cockpit floor below pilot’s seat - right hand

27 Window dispenser - late 1943 - right lower nose

28 Step from leading edge of mainplane to cockpit floor

29 Navigator’s seat

30 Pilot’s seat - back and base padding - no belts

31 Pitot tube - early — before mid 1944

32 Vertical pole - attaches to G10 navigator’s table

33 Unidentified component fits to left fuselage side above radio operators position

34 Nose turret ammunition box x 2

35 Bomb aimer’s equipment

36 Bomb aimer’s floor padding

37 Cockpit instrument - attachment to left front canopy frame

38 Unidentified box - port side of cockpit wall above navigators station

39 Vertical part in front of DF loop (Late 1942)

40 Vertical part behind DF loop

41 Unidentified component fitted to roof above radio operators position 

42 Throttle/Propeller box

44 Nose turret ammunition box x 2

45 Radio gear and navigator’s gear

46 Pilot’s seat - back and base padding - moulded belts

47 Right Browning .303 - nose/upper turret

48 Left Browning .303 - nose/upper turret

49 Bomb release controls - right side of bomb aimers position

50 H2S component

51 Pilot’s seat rear armour plate

52 Oxygen bottle - rear of pilot’s seat/ below navigator’s seat / at right of bomb aimers

position     

53 Bomb Aimer’s position - left fuselage side frame

54 Bomb Aimer’s position - right fuselage side frame

55 Bomb Aimer’s position - left fuselage side frame

56 Bomb Aimer’s position - left fuselage side frame

57 GEE component

58 Nose turret - gun mounting part

59 Bomb Aimer’s position - right fuselage side frame

60 Bomb Aimer’s position - left fuselage side frame

61 Bomb Aimer’s position - right fuselage side frame

62 Bomb Aimer’s position - right fuselage side frame

63 Nose/Upper Turret - right hand component

64 Nose turret - gunner’s seat

65 Nose turret internal frame - right

66 Nose/Upper  turret left hand component

67 Nose turret - gun mounting part

68 Nose turret - gun mounting part

69 Bomb aimer’s arm rest

70 Nose turret - gun mounting part x 2

71 unidentified component on left hand cockpit side wall

72 Elevator trim wheel mechanism (at side of pilot’s seat) left side

73 Elevator trim wheel mechanism (at side of pilot’s seat) right side

74 Nose turret - gun cradle

75 Nose turret - left gun turret elevation bearing

76 Nose turret - right gun turret elevation bearing

77 Nose turret - gun mounting part

78 Nose turret - gun mounting part

As you can see - gaps! Now I haven't got any bits out of the bags to know what they are and I have an idea that some bits may have been wrongly identified, for example I'm sure that part A1 - the drift recorder at least - is on one of the clear sprues because it looks clear in the instructions but no doubt someone can say what the missing/unused bits are? Oh and I might have misidentified some things or deliberately simplified things but the list might be useful as the build progresses. I also appreciate that Neil in his You Tube videos may well have already mentioned all of this but I haven't had the time to watch the videos yet! 

If you want a copy of the list, which runs to 12 pages of A4 and shows that there is no Sprue E (we have E1) or H - then PM made and I will email you one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

If you want a copy of the list, which runs to 12 pages of A4 and shows that there is no Sprue E (we have E1) or H - then PM made and I will email you one.

PM sent, Simon.

Okay guys, I won’t reply to your PMs ill just email you as quickly as I can!!

I did the list using my iMac so I hope that people can open the document? If you have a problem then give me a shout and I can copy and paste it into a long email!!

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I did the list using my iMac so I hope that people can open the document? If you have a problem then give me a shout and I can copy and paste it into a long email!!

Simon save it as a PDF then everyone can open and print it, just a suggestion 

21 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

I opened it on my iPad and all was good, but to print it via my PC and its printer, 

I had to change it/save it as a 'Word' document.

I'm not sure how I did that, but it was successful !

The advantage of printing it from 'Word' is that it's simple to 

dedicate each page to a sprue (if you should want to do such a thing 🙃.

4 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi Ali

Just had a look. I don't have saving as a pdf as an option with my Mac - unless someone can tell me otherwise!

Cheers

Simon

16 minutes ago, Spooky56 said:

Simon,

check your emails when you get a chance I’ve just sent them to you in pdf and word. See if they work for you, seem to be ok on my iPad 

Rick

Thanks Rick - now to find somewhere to save them!!

7 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Just had a look. I don't have saving as a pdf as an option with my Mac - unless someone can tell me otherwise!

Cheers

Simon

Simon - open the Pages doc, click on the file tab to open the first pulldown menu, scroll down to "export to" and click on that to open a smaller pulldown which will give you format options, then click on "pdf" or "Word".

You can do something similar with Numbers to export as a .csv or .xls file (and I think .pdf as well...)

The key command here is "export to", not "save/save as".

.pdf is probably the better option when sending a file to folks using a Windows system who are going to "read only" , as word docs and excel files created by using a Mac's export function will open but sometimes look a bit wonky on a Windows machine.

HTH

3 hours ago, LanceB said:

................. , as word docs and excel files created by using a Mac's export function will open but sometimes look a bit wonky on a Windows machine.

HTH

Simon's list that somehow I've saved as 'Word' document on my PC looks okay,

and so if anybody wants that, pm me with your email address. 

On 7/13/2022 at 10:26 PM, Simon Cornes said:

Simon maybe you ought to get out a bit more

7 hours ago, LanceB said:

Simon - open the Pages doc, click on the file tab to open the first pulldown menu, scroll down to "export to" and click on that to open a smaller pulldown which will give you format options, then click on "pdf" or "Word".

You can do something similar with Numbers to export as a .csv or .xls file (and I think .pdf as well...)

The key command here is "export to", not "save/save as".

.pdf is probably the better option when sending a file to folks using a Windows system who are going to "read only" , as word docs and excel files created by using a Mac's export function will open but sometimes look a bit wonky on a Windows machine.

HTH

Hi Lance, thanks for that - there's so much about my Mac that I don't know about ! I had a look so I see what you mean now. Regarding this particular document, someone has already kindly converted it to both Word and pdf formats for me so I can email any one of three different formats now!

3 hours ago, KITCAT said:

Simon maybe you ought to get out a bit more

True ! I have a garden to weed and tame and an old MG that hasn't see the road this year - I am 'busy' but I wanted this list for my own use - mad maybe - and now its done its done! I have a Mirage 2000 on the bench that also needs work - not enough hours in a day!

On 13/07/2022 at 02:57, avro683 said:

That's just a wee bit harsh, don't you think Mr. Chadwick? Oh well, I suppose I'll have to bin the HKM Grand Slam Lancaster I just spent over 400USD on. Live and learn.

Best Regards,

Jason

12 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That's just a wee bit harsh, don't you think Mr. Chadwick? Oh well, I suppose I'll have to bin the HKM Grand Slam Lancaster I just spent over 400USD on. Live and learn.

Best Regards,

Jason

I fortunately bought just the 'nose art' version but I found it very disappointing and did bin it after a couple of sessions. I should add that I'd really lost interest in aircraft so maybe I was a bit harsh too.

5 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I fortunately bought just the 'nose art' version but I found it very disappointing and did bin it after a couple of sessions. I should add that I'd really lost interest in aircraft so maybe I was a bit harsh too.

Now what you should have done was sold it on - or given it away! I’m sure someone would have been prepared to give it a go!! Ah well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't worry Simon about mine - I have no intention of binning it. Now to add something of value to this discussion. I have both the Bordernut Lanc and the HKM Lanc and I can say that although the Bordernut clear parts are remarkably thin, the HKM clear parts are by no means thick, and I think thin enough for this scale. If it's the thinness of the Bordernut clear parts that made them have the cold fronts (which really don't bother me overly as they're not that visible), then I think they made a mistake in making them so thin. This attempt to replicate some sort of scale thinness is also contributing to the breakage problem. The parts really are quite thin. Sometimes having parts a bit overscale is a necessary compromise.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor change.
  • Like 2