1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

18 minutes ago, Chuuurles said:

A few of the clear parts are smashed and some have hairline cracks.

C29634AD-FE04-46C5-906A-C19F527A319F CE5459F4-A006-488D-AF57-182F32167423

Oh wow. That's really bad 😬

Please Mr Aftermarket, do your thing!

2022-02-24_10-12-17

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Oh wow. That's really bad 😬

Please Mr Aftermarket, do your thing!

2022-02-24_10-12-17

I don't think that those moulds have been properly polished. There was an Airfix Workshop feature last week about the new 1/24 Spit and they mentioned how moulds for clear parts had to be very highly polished but weren't by the toolmakers until Airfix had signed the shape and detail off as correct. I suspect that Border have economised and not had that final polish done because Wingnut would not have allowed anything but perfection and its not like these are tiny parts that are hard to finish.

I am wondering what arrangements Hannants have made with Albion to obtain a load of replacement clear sprues from Border? We modellers with an interest in this kit are now very aware that when our kits arrive early July the first thing we have to do is to check the clear sprues. Any breakages and I will be straight on to Hannants as the retailer - goods not of merchantable quality and all that. Thats one reason I decided to order via Hannants and not offshore - I hope that it will be easier to get replacement parts via them. But then Ali of AeroCraft may decide to make something wonderful in resin, but really it shouldn't be necessary.  This is just Border screwing up their box sizes and not having a separate box for the clear sprues. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Corky said:

I smell an Aerocraft models new release of a main canopy.....😩😆🤔

Not after spending over £500 on the original kit I don't think!  At that price parts have to be 'fit for purpose'

• Like 2

For what its worth, last night I emailed Hannants to make them aware of this 'possible' problem - in case they didn't know already. I wanted to see what provisions they have made to deal with broken transparencies and I assume that they get their stock from Albion. Logically Hannants should be talking to Albion - if they haven't already - so that everyone connected with the kits coming into the UK via the UK agent and then wholesaling them to retailers has a plan. Maybe only a few kits have damaged transparencies but it would make sense for Hannants at least to open every kit box to check the clear sprues for damage before shipping them on to the final customer. They might take the view that it is too much trouble and leave it up to 'us' to tell them if there's a problem, fair enough but as they now know there might be a problem then I would expect them to have enough 'spare' kits to supply replacements on demand. I have no intention of dealing directly with Border, its up to the retailers and importers to sort these matters out and 'they' have a good month to get their ducks in a row! Of course Hannants could always offer to cancel my order if I'm concerned but that's not an acceptable answer - I want my 10% off! 

As of now I've had no reply but I'll let you know what I am told, whenever that is!

As an aside, when I get my kit, assuming its all okay, I will make some provision to box the clear sprue to prevent damage whilst I have the kit. I intend to build it but if I wanted to sell it on I wouldn't want to do so with a damaged canopy. Who would want to buy it and how much would they want to pay? Not nearly enough I suspect!

Yes, another watching with interest and will check when it arrives.  Thanks @Chuuurles and @Simon Cornes for the warning !  The worry is what with all the discussion on it being a "limited edition" will there be enough spare clear sprues going around if the problem is widespread?  As has been said I imagine @Ali62 will have taken notice and be having a wee ponder :hmmm:to himself.

An update to my email to Hannants. They have replied as follows:-

"Good Afternoon,
Thanks for your email, I will get in contact with our supplier and let them know that some people have been having issues with these and what they plan on doing when they arrive.
Kind Regards
Sam"

That suggests that Hannants were not aware so maybe we have a better chance of receiving 'perfect' kits via Hannants - and other retailers in the UK if Albion are supplying to all, including Hannants?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI here is the response from Lucky:

"Sorry for the damage. 

You don't have to contact Border models, we have contacted them and they are preparing a batch of replacement parts to ship to us."

18 hours ago, colin said:

They don't look to be very well moulded, wonder if their having problems with later production ones due to the moulds 

Hm. I should clarify that it was (supposedly) packaged on May 6th and then sat at the warehouse for nearly a month, while shipping was arranged...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chuuurles said:

Hm. I should clarify that it was (supposedly) packaged on May 6th and then sat at the warehouse for nearly a month, while shipping was arranged...

The gorillas need time to do their work, after all.

I hope this gets sorted out but just for info , if you buy from Hannants or your LMS your contract is with them. Please Border ride to the rescue.

7 minutes ago, KITCAT said:

I hope this gets sorted out but just for info , if you buy from Hannants or your LMS your contract is with them. Please Border ride to the rescue.

This is why it’s so important that Hannants and therefore Border know about a possible problem so that they have a chance to check kits before dispatch and also for them to check with Border regarding spares supply. It’s not in anyones interest to sell a kit which is faulty when it arrives in the U.K. Retailers offering mail order will have to improve their packaging to minimise the risk of damage in transit. Ideally the transparency sprue should be placed inside a hard box and if that means raising the lid of the kit box by an inch or two and then putting the box into a deeper carton then that’s what they should do - maybe?

Hello guys, Nigel from Nigels modelling bench here..

As Kris has mentioned above I have indeed been led to believe BM have improved the boxings with a taller box so the parts are not sitting above the level of the box lower half. They will also revisit the packaging of the clear parts.

It does seem very strange that so many kits are being delivered with damaged parts, my kit and one other sent to NZ arrived with just damage to the fragile canopy framing on Sprue B?? These were both very early production kits maybe even pre-production with the poor quality clears. So, it would appear that perhaps all kits sent out to worldwide distributors have the new packaging, whereas those sent to Ali express/Lucky Model etc had the old packaging?

In the last few weeks my communication with Border Model has been very erratic as they have been affected by the serious lockdowns apparently happening all over China. My build is getting to the point where it will be stalled awaiting the new clear parts unfortunately. There are apparently logistical issues in China at the moment, probably due to the fact distribution of plastic kits are not deemed "essential items"?

Nige

Edited by Nigels Modelling Bench
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 6/3/2022 at 7:42 AM, KrisW77 said:

Watching Nigels modelling bench he's heard that the kits coming into the UK will have bigger boxes so fingers crossed we won't have smashed clear parts.

Well, that will probably annoy modellers around the world!

You would think that all Border needed to do was to put an insert into the original box that was a coupe of centimetres deeper than the original and the problem is solved - not so pretty but a quick and easy fix but we will see what we get in due course!!

Good news guys.. I have received new clear parts and canopy framing today from Border Model.

The clear parts still aren't as good as the Stuka and 109 clears, but Border didn't design and make the tooling for the Lanc... whereas they did for their own kits.

Nige

Edited by Nigels Modelling Bench
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Nigels Modelling Bench said:

Good news guys.. I have received new clear parts and canopy framing today from Border Model.

The clear parts still aren't as good as the Stuka and 109 clears, but Border didn't design and make the tooling for the Lanc... whereas they did for their own kits.

I have made a video showing the new sprues.. I'm sure everyone will be more than happy with the improvements.

Nige

True Nigel but they could have arranged for the transparency moulds to have their final, pre-production polish, as I'm sure they did with the Stuka and 109 moulds? I must admit that this lack of concern - for such an expensive kit - is disappointing. You can't imagine Tamiya being so slap dash! Or HKM with their own Lanc for that matter!! Given how markedly superior this kit is - the Wingnut factor - then its rather sad.

12 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

True Nigel but they could have arranged for the transparency moulds to have their final, pre-production polish, as I'm sure they did with the Stuka and 109 moulds? I must admit that this lack of concern - for such an expensive kit - is disappointing. You can't imagine Tamiya being so slap dash! Or HKM with their own Lanc for that matter!! Given how markedly superior this kit is - the Wingnut factor - then its rather sad.

I agree 100% Simon. BM could have gone the extra mile and super polished the tooling.. I wonder why they didnt??

I'm sure there are those who will be happy with the parts as they are and some who will slate this as the worst plastic kit ever because of the clear parts.. 

I hate to say it, but yes the HKM clear parts are better, as clear mouldings, but the overall shape of the HK Canopy is not as nice.  Then we have those side blisters.. We shall have to see how it all looks once built.

Nige

23 hours ago, Nigels Modelling Bench said:

Hello guys, Nigel from Nigels modelling bench here..

As Kris has mentioned above I have indeed been led to believe BM have improved the boxings with a taller box so the parts are not sitting above the level of the box lower half. They will also revisit the packaging of the clear parts.

It does seem very strange that so many kits are being delivered with damaged parts, my kit and one other sent to NZ arrived with just damage to the fragile canopy framing on Sprue B?? These were both very early production kits maybe even pre-production with the poor quality clears. So, it would appear that perhaps all kits sent out to worldwide distributors have the new packaging, whereas those sent to Ali express/Lucky Model etc had the old packaging?

In the last few weeks my communication with Border Model has been very erratic as they have been affected by the serious lockdowns apparently happening all over China. My build is getting to the point where it will be stalled awaiting the new clear parts unfortunately. There are apparently logistical issues in China at the moment, probably due to the fact distribution of plastic kits are not deemed "essential items"?

Anyway, if you haven't seen my videos on the kit pop over and take a look on You Tube. Progress is slow but very detailed as I am making the videos as a "builders guide", both to work alongside the instructions and also help the newer modellers out there who wish to tackle this monster. Also, if you are getting this kit, be sure to catch up on a video I will release soon, covering ALL the issues and omissions in the manual wrapped up in one video. There are build sequence errors, parts missing from the manual and incorrectly numbered parts. I have also done the same video build video series and instruction errors video for the Border Model 1/35 Stuka.

I am in no way trying to portray myself as an expert modeller or a "know it all", but I am fortunate in that I have been given the opportunity by Border Model to build this kit and the Stuka, so I can spot the errors and share with the world.

My motto is, "If I mess up, you don't have to"... or words to that effect..

Nige

Thanks for all the effort you have put into making this build series Nigel! Hoping you get some replacement plastic soon mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigels Modelling Bench said:

I agree 100% Simon. BM could have gone the extra mile and super polished the tooling.. I wonder why they didnt??

I'm sure there are those who will be happy with the parts as they are and some who will slate this as the worst plastic kit ever because of the clear parts.. 

I hate to say it, but yes the HKM clear parts are better, as clear mouldings, but the overall shape of the HK Canopy is not as nice.  Then we have those side blisters.. We shall have to see how it all looks once built.

Nige

It's a mystery why BM didn't get the mould polished, especially after they received test shots and then sent out pre-release copies to wholesalers and commentators such as yourself who I'm sure would have fed back?

I'd have been happy to wait a couple more months to give them time to finish the job. I was only aware about polishing from a recent Airfix Workshop email which concerned the new 1/24 Spitfire and the writer mentioned how the test shots were physically quite rough because the moulds hadn't been fully polished in case corrections were required. That sounds sensible and I'm sure that exactly the same process occurred when Wingnut were the custodians of the moulds. Given that other Border Models kits don't have that problem it makes you think that perhaps the mould polishing is lead by the mould makers, not Border and the company who made the Stuka and 109 moulds knew what was required whereas the Lancaster mould makers either didn't know out didn't do anything else because Border didn't prod them - as Richard Alexander definitely would have done!

A case of spoiling a ship for a h'aporth of tar, except that this 'ship' cost slightly more than a h'aporth! You're right though - the possible poor clear parts will be locked on to very rapidly as a major failing. Makes you wonder if Border will realise their mistake and get the necessary 'finishing' work done? I actually hope so and then I will join the queue of customers asking for a free replacement!! You know, it might be worth emailing Border right now to start the ball rolling!

But the upside is that the clear plastic might not actually be cracked, if Border have improved the box!! 

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, Simon Cornes said:

It's a mystery why BM didn't get the mould polished ...

... A case of spoiling a ship for a h'aporth of tar, except that this 'ship' cost slightly more than a h'aporth! 

Surely it is the tar that is worth the ha'penny, not the ship.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, New Tool said:

Surely it is the tar that is worth the ha'penny, not the ship.

Well yes but if the ship sinks for the lack of tar then you lose everything!! That’s what the term means!!

• Like 1