1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

13 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That phenomenon is why I don't keep them for long. I run the display on a 'one in, one binned' basis. 

I realise that I'm a little unusual in this. 🤪

Wow!

I have to say that’s actually a highly practical approach that would free many of us to build much bigger and more ambitious projects. I’m really quite impressed with this concept but don’t think I could ever bring myself to be that ruthless. 

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Wow!

I have to say that’s actually a highly practical approach that would free many of us to build much bigger and more ambitious projects. I’m really quite impressed with this concept but don’t think I could ever bring myself to be that ruthless. 

As the philosopher Bryan Ferry said, “It’s finding, not keeping, that’s the measure”. 🎶

I love acquiring a new kit, then building and painting it. Showing it off here and to anyone who is interested is fun too. 😁 I think of these as active pleasures. 

But storing it?

Either unmade in stash form or built in cabinet, keeping the many models that I ‘process’  would be a passive activity bringing little real pleasure. I actually believe that looking after them, paying for space for them, seems to mean that the models would almost own me. I would be their servant. 🙁

I do keep a single shoebox full of paper photos going back to the seventies though. I must also admit to owning far too many paints and tools. I can’t solve that particular clutter conundrum! 😁

It’s a family thing; most of the Psmiths travel light through life, but we do travel far and frequently. 🙂

p.s. I wish I had thought to photograph my annual Christmas cull for BM. Many members would have been horrified. 😳+😂!

Yes Bertie P , I need to do a big cull of my house full , but can`t summon up the courage to do it ! . I`ve just finished the Occre London tram

and that`s on its display base standing atop an Italeri truck-trailer model , ( I hope the trailer suspension holds out ) .

Don .

On 27/02/2022 at 16:03, Bertie Psmith said:

As the philosopher Bryan Ferry said, “It’s finding, not keeping, that’s the measure”. 🎶

Ah yes! To quote the great snake-eyes himself is a guaranteed path to wisdom. 🙏

• Haha 1

Model making and model storage are two opposite activities that do not sit well together with me. I am in agreement with Mr Bertie Psmith and frequently cull the dead wood.

I am always impressed when people produce a sticky little Airfix kit they made when they were 8 but mine have all long gone. I recently put 23 completed kits in the bin, which was a strangely liberating thing to do. 

Consequently I am nervous about my Wingnut builds I have and I will not be able to store a 1/32 Lancaster any where even though I would like to build one. 

I often see people with gigantic work rooms on Facebook that has display cabinets but ultimately I would just become tired of them all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bear Paw said:

Model making and model storage are two opposite activities that do not sit well together with me. I am in agreement with Mr Bertie Psmith and frequently cull the dead wood.

I am always impressed when people produce a sticky little Airfix kit they made when they were 8 but mine have all long gone. I recently put 23 completed kits in the bin, which was a strangely liberating thing to do. 

Consequently I am nervous about my Wingnut builds I have and I will not be able to store a 1/32 Lancaster any where even though I would like to build one. 

I often see people with gigantic work rooms on Facebook that has display cabinets but ultimately I would just become tired of them all. 

Let me know if you’re thinking of binning your Wingnut builds!!

10 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Let me know if you’re thinking of binning your Wingnut builds!!

Ha! I may not bin them.  
I was thinking of finding a range of Perspex box display cases for them.  
Does anyone know of a company that does them?   

Wow, that’s impressive! I assume that was made awhile ago - wonder how much it would cost now?!! Will you have a second glass - or Perspex - cover to fit over your big Lanc and sit on top of the existing frame? Might make looking out of the window difficult!!

On 2/28/2022 at 8:15 PM, Simon Cornes said:

Wow, that’s impressive! I assume that was made awhile ago - wonder how much it would cost now?!!

bit offtopic, but: I've seen some pretty reusable coffee tables at Goodwill stores. Most expensive bits are usually getting the glasswork to size, although sometimes you can get a good deal. Hardened glass for the top probably will cost 100, sides can be non-hardened and cheaper. 

• 3 weeks later...

I preordered the kit from the Border Model store on Ali Express in January and it shipped on Thursday (EMS)!  Currently at the Shanghai Mail Centre awaiting a plane down to NZ.  I can't wait and hope to have it by the end of the week or early next week at the latest!  To say I am excited is an understatement!  Interestingly it is still showing on the Ali Express site as a preorder and HobbyEasy HK show it as becoming available on the 26th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwimako said:

I preordered the kit from the Border Model store on Ali Express in January and it shipped on Thursday (EMS)!  Currently at the Shanghai Mail Centre awaiting a plane down to NZ.  I can't wait and hope to have it by the end of the week or early next week at the latest!  To say I am excited is an understatement!  Interestingly it is still showing on the Ali Express site as a preorder and HobbyEasy HK show it as becoming available on the 26th.

This is great and I think we’ll all be watching what happens next for you!! I’m not expecting to see my kit in the U.K. for 6 or 7 weeks at best!!

On 2/28/2022 at 12:52 PM, Chaotic Mike said:

My aunt used to be his PR lady, and her sister was married to Brian Eno. This inormation has helped my alternative career in music not one jot... 

I used to work with his (their?) daughter, with similar results...

• Haha 3

My Border Model 1/32 Lancaster arrived today! It’s big and heavy (6 kgs in the snug packaging box).  If any of you have watched Nigel’s Modelling Bench and his recent review, what I got was identical.  The box had the addition to make it taller, the brass machine gun barrels were minus the covers/housing (sorry I don’t know the correct term) and the clear parts had shallow scratches and weren’t crystal clear.  I have to admit my excitement turned to a little disappointment as unlike the review samples, one of which Nigel received, I paid full price from Border Models store on Ali Express as well as 15% GST (VAT) and about NZ$150 to get posted by EMS.

I see that Hobby Easy in HK shows it as available next month and Ali Express still shows it as pre order so all I can conclude is that what I was sent is not the final retail version?

I will email Border Model and ask and update this post when I hear.  I will also attempt to put up some pictures when I get to my desktop computer (I am posting off my phone) and figure out how to do it.

Don’t get me wrong, the model looks amazing and I will make do with what I got but for the price I would have expected the clear parts (which I my biggest concern) to be clearer and not scratched.  I have aftermarket gun barrels so not a major but the box looks a bit rough after opening so not something you could sell after opening.  If you haven’t watched Nigel’s You Tube review have a look and what I said should make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just received a response from Border Models after I just posted the above - super fast from them which was great. It says "hello, yours and the one on the YouTube are the same batch of transparent parts. We have received feedback and will reproduce new transparent parts. I will send them to you again".

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 5:41 AM, Kiwimako said:

Woooooo hooooooo, I think… I can’t wait for mine to find it’s way to Aus, into the shop, out of the shop and track it as it bounces around from mail centre to mail centre and back again! On the down side, my Vodka budget’s going to be slashed for a year or so, but hey, I might grow a new liver in that time😂👍

• Like 1

Border Model has told me the new clear parts that they will send me will be ready in 2 - 3 weeks so I am guessing the final Lancaster for retail will be ready in about 4 weeks.  They are also sending me an updated instruction manual when the clear parts are sent.  Their customer service has been amazing and timely with responses to my several queries within hours.  I feel really lucky and privileged to have the kit already and the more I look at the parts realise it is a magnificent model that I am glad I ordered!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 7:29 PM, Don149 said:

Which country , I guess Far East , are Border Models in and are their AFVs re pops ? .

Don .

They are a Chinese company and as far as I am aware all of their kits, except for the Lancaster, are new tools designed and produced by them.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any further updates on whether the kits have shipped to the distributors yet? 

I asked the LHS I bought mine from the other day if they had heard anything and received bit of a rude response, saying they are still waiting to hear that they have been shipped out from the factory 

1 hour ago, Ticketec said:

Has anyone had any further updates on whether the kits have shipped to the distributors yet? 

I asked the LHS I bought mine from the other day if they had heard anything and received bit of a rude response, saying they are still waiting to hear that they have been shipped out from the factory 

There’s a Facebook page - 1/32 Lancaster Factory - or such like covering the HKM and Border Lancs. I looked at it last night and there was a comment about Covid causing a further delay. I wasn’t expecting the kit in Europe until the end of this month anyway and more like mid-May for the U.K. so I’d give your lms a bit of slack!!

• 3 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid06SZFCiE9tv1Qp6wR2UBYMv7sWNjGg3aroovBN5ni2NPjSUKsdgWYvwWVBghAan9Zl&id=339312286698433

Lancaster has been dispatched and our agents all over the world will receive the goods within a certain time, due to Covid 19 and some mold problems, we have been delayed for a long time. And after this batch of Lancaster is sent, it will not be able to be produced again for a long time. Large molds are very troublesome to repair.

279450717-1001218110507844-4483887450806

V.P.

• Like 2