1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

Every time we get a forecast from dealers/importer it seems to go back a month ! . Still if it`s May it will be just in time for my 87th birthday .

That way I`ll feel more easy in " splashing the cash ".

Don .

• Like 1

I have to admit that I had decided that I couldn't justify the cost of this.  Nor do I realistically have the space to store it once built, almost a metre's wingspan!  But having watched the video on Andy's HHQ, I was stunned by the model, the number of parts, the oil-canning effects, the detail, and now I'm thinking........... "what do I have to give up to get one?"

Still would have nowhere to display/store the model and still think that the price is out of my range, even if it works out way less than £1 per part, but I find myself wanting one.  Foolish - I've still got a 1/24 Mosquito and Typhoon in the stash to build with no sign of a start date for wither of them, what would I do with a 1/32 Lancaster??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I have to admit that I had decided that I couldn't justify the cost of this.  Nor do I realistically have the space to store it once built, almost a metre's wingspan!  But having watched the video on Andy's HHQ, I was stunned by the model, the number of parts, the oil-canning effects, the detail, and now I'm thinking........... "what do I have to give up to get one?"

Still would have nowhere to display/store the model and still think that the price is out of my range, even if it works out way less than £1 per part, but I find myself wanting one.  Foolish - I've still got a 1/24 Mosquito and Typhoon in the stash to build with no sign of a start date for wither of them, what would I do with a 1/32 Lancaster??

To tempt you Roland I would mention that the wings outboard of the inboard nacelles are detachable thereby easing the storage issue although it still applies if you want to display at home with wings on! I'm waiting for some enterprising cabinet maker to produce a not too expensive coffee table which incorporates a 1m x 70cm x 80cm glass or perspex box with an optional mirror base! Might also work for a B-17 but maybe we shouldn't go there?!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I'm waiting for some enterprising cabinet maker to produce a not too expensive coffee table which incorporates a 1m x 70cm x 80cm glass or perspex box with an optional mirror base! Might also work for a B-17 but maybe we shouldn't go there?!!

Due to the communication issues with written text I’m not sure if that suggestion is serious or tongue in cheek. It is though a good one either way Simon. Decades ago I saw coffee tables with glass centres with large ship models inside and always wondered about doing something similar 

I recall HK B-17 could be wall mounted. I wonder if such a mounting could be devised to put it (or any Lanc or similar model) in a wall mounted glass display cabinet with a mirror background rather like a 3d picture? 

42 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Due to the communication issues with written text I’m not sure if that suggestion is serious or tongue in cheek. It is though a good one either way Simon. Decades ago I saw coffee tables with glass centres with large ship models inside and always wondered about doing something similar 

I recall HK B-17 could be wall mounted. I wonder if such a mounting could be devised to put it (or any Lanc or similar model) in a wall mounted glass display cabinet with a mirror background rather like a 3d picture? 

It was quite serious John and it might get around the display problem. My thoughts had also extended to internal cabinet lighting (self contained and battery operated to avoid wires across floors and there are those who might incorporate vehicles or figures to make a diorama. Definitely all possible and it might serve to both protect a very valuable and potentially fragile model and also serve a useful purpose with 'the management'. After all you could always put a table cloth on top if you had non-modelling guests around - although I can't imagine why you would! And with longer legs it might also work well against a wall - if you had a home with the proportions that might allow it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

It was quite serious John and it might get around the display problem. My thoughts had also extended to internal cabinet lighting (self contained and battery operated to avoid wires across floors and there are those who might incorporate vehicles or figures to make a diorama. Definitely all possible and it might serve to both protect a very valuable and potentially fragile model and also serve a useful purpose with 'the management'. After all you could always put a table cloth on top if you had non-modelling guests around - although I can't imagine why you would! And with longer legs it might also work well against a wall - if you had a home with the proportions that might allow it!

Sold to me Simon. I’ll take two. When’s delivery? :rofl:

Good thinking mind

6 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Don't forget it's only 28cm wide with the outer wings removed.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3193

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Sold to me Simon. I’ll take two. When’s delivery? :rofl:

Good thinking mind

Ah, therein lies the rub!! I wonder how much one would cost? The best thing is to appeal to Ikea’s idea of the bizarre and then they can make one and call it Lanc - it must mean something in Swedish?

33 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Ah, therein lies the rub!! I wonder how much one would cost? The best thing is to appeal to Ikea’s idea of the bizarre and then they can make one and call it Lanc - it must mean something in Swedish?

Well they did have 1 

from good old wiki

Försökscentralen (Swedish Test Establishment) at Malmen near Linköping received one Lancaster I (ex-RAF RA805) designated Tp 80 and the SwAF/n 80001. Aircraft was modified by Avro company for jet engine testbed duties and delivered from UK in May 1951. The only Swedish Lancaster crashed in 1956.[6]

37 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Well they did have 1 

from good old wiki

Försökscentralen (Swedish Test Establishment) at Malmen near Linköping received one Lancaster I (ex-RAF RA805) designated Tp 80 and the SwAF/n 80001. Aircraft was modified by Avro company for jet engine testbed duties and delivered from UK in May 1951. The only Swedish Lancaster crashed in 1956.[6]

Seems as though the closest thing is the word Lan and that means ‘county’ so I’m not sure how well that would sit with IKEA furniture naming!!

5 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

To tempt you Roland I would mention that the wings outboard of the inboard nacelles are detachable thereby easing the storage issue although it still applies if you want to display at home with wings on! I'm waiting for some enterprising cabinet maker to produce a not too expensive coffee table which incorporates a 1m x 70cm x 80cm glass or perspex box with an optional mirror base! Might also work for a B-17 but maybe we shouldn't go there?!!

You mean like this? 

y4mgYl_rwjUrDe7f3XMrJz1OC9ufSQU3q3367wi0

Mike

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

You mean like this? 

y4mgYl_rwjUrDe7f3XMrJz1OC9ufSQU3q3367wi0

Mike

Sort of. In my mind the top of the case would be flush with the coffee table top so the bulk of the case would be below but that is very impressive. It has to be said that it’s dammed big too!! 

I imagine those aren't cheap. I got the table from eBay (£150?) then had the perspex box fabricated, and that was several hundred, if I recall correctly. However, it makes a nice presence in the living room. God, my wife is accommodating! 

24 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Funny, I was just looking at these this evening...

https://glassfurniture.co.uk/model-display-tables-display-coffee-tables/

That is definitely worth checking out. Might just do the job mind you I almost bought a display case designed for a period ship. It was about 4 feet tall , 3 feet long and maybe a foot deep and when I saw it, it wouldn’t fit into my car!! Just a touch too big but only £30 !! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

If you draw it up in CAD,  create a cut list, make it from ply and / or MDF, the most expensive part will be the glass.

14 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

I was in the same boat as you until I saw the MBK unboxing video and I was sold.   

Not sure that I will ever build it, but I do want it for reference.

Anyways, If I can convince wifey that this is a great coffee table I might be more inclined to build it!

https://www.showfront.com.au/collectors/ct900-coffee-table-display-case

One thing a spectacular and spectacularly well hyped model like this does is generate spectacular ideas about what to do with it. A £600 kit in a cabinet for £1000; what's wrong with that?

My unspectacular building skills for one thing. 😉

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

One thing a spectacular and spectacularly well hyped model like this does is generate spectacular ideas about what to do with it. A £600 kit in a cabinet for £1000; what's wrong with that?

Ah well you should go for the table with solid sides and top then!! 🤩 I suspect that you underestimate your own ability 😊

31 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Still better than mine :D

An expensive case to show off, sorry edit “display” ones models is not a bad thing come to think on it. I suppose in a world where kit prices, sizes and sophistication have increased exponentially as well as effort and build time it makes sense to do fewer kits but give them better display facilities. I recall a shelf lined teenage bedroom with models all round the room collecting dust and the evil eye of my Mum plus duster with me doing a “they shall not pass” rearguard.   Days long gone. If I take a year or more to build a 1/32 Lanc it makes sense to do something to keep it safe, clean and on view

35 minutes ago, JohnT said:

If I take a year or more to build a 1/32 Lanc it makes sense to do something to keep it safe, clean and on view

Exactly John, with the cost of top line kits and the detail complexity of them now,I don't think you can compare them to kits built years ago hanging from the ceiling or stacked on shelves.

If you have put the time and effort into creating something you want to display a dust free environment is a must nowadays

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Still better than mine :D

An expensive case to show off, sorry edit “display” ones models is not a bad thing come to think on it.

The problem for me with that style of display is that I'd be looking at the model every day, possibly for hours. I have a cabinet, a Billy bookcase with glass doors, but it's not directly in front of me, and I look into it once a week maybe. The more I look at a model the sooner I use up my interest and start noticing the bits that I could have done better. That phenomenon is why I don't keep them for long. I run the display on a 'one in, one binned' basis. 

I realise that I'm a little unusual in this. 🤪

• Like 1

Well, that display case isn't in pound sterling.... that price is in pacific pesos:D.     but yes, expensive.  I would think that if a modeler is buying a model of this price/caliber, that it would not be their first rodeo, and would have honed their skills on other models before tackling this beast. P.S. I'm suggesting I feel ready to jump straight into this one just yet!!

To me, my models are my artwork. I pour all my skill and energy into creating the best model I can, so displaying them is something that gives me pride in my work, but a model of this size also presents the issue that it doesn't easily fit into the vast majority of display cases, so a coffee table sure does sound like a nice solution. I would like to find something that looks less industrial though.