1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

11 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

If WnW owes Border Models money for work done and has not been paid

As I understand it, WNW allegedly defaulted on some of their final payments to the (un-named) Chinese factory which was developing the Lancaster moulds for them. After a period of time and absence of completed payments, the factory then sold the moulds to Border Models, to help cover their costs. Of course, we might never know the entire, un-embellished story.

Cheers. 

Chris.  

57 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Would you lot please stop the borderline libellous character assasination and talk about the damn kit instead?

Paul.

Very good point. Let’s take the view that Sir P made some excellent films that were enjoyed by millions all around the world  - but not everyone likes everything and that’s okay!

Those who want to buy it know that the plastic of this kit is superb. Hopefully the decals will be okay to but we can procrastinate about that when we actually have them in our hands and let’s hope that’s sometime in April ( this year for those in any doubt!)

Looks like Hannants are still keeping faith in the outcome

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Don149 said:

Looks like Hannants are still keeping faith in the outcome

12 minutes ago, Don149 said:

So far - lets stay positive here!

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

Would you lot please stop the borderline libellous character assasination and talk about the damn kit instead?

Paul.

Agreed Paul.

To try and get back on track, has anyone started planning little things like how much paint will we need?

I’ve ordered 3 bottles each of SMS Forest Green (pl77) Dark Earth (PL 85) and Camo Black (PL 33), hopefully I’ll have plenty left over for a Spit or 2, but time will tell :)

I’ve got a bottle and a half of Alclad gray primer, I might just buy another bottle to be sure 

47 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Hopefully the decals will be okay to but we can procrastinate about that when we actually have them in our hands and let’s hope that’s sometime in April ( this year for those in any doubt!)

I know that there won’t be the decals I want in the box (Lanc B1 G for George W4783) so that takes some of the stress out of that issue, and to be honest, on a kit like this, is anyone going to use decals for the roundels?

1 minute ago, Smokeyr67 said:

Agreed Paul.

To try and get back on track, has anyone started planning little things like how much paint will we need?

I’ve ordered 3 bottles each of SMS Forest Green (pl77) Dark Earth (PL 85) and Camo Black (PL 33), hopefully I’ll have plenty left over for a Spit or 2, but time will tell :)

I’ve got a bottle and a half of Alclad gray primer, I might just buy another bottle to be sure 

I painted a 1/16 Tiger tank last year and I used around 3 bottles of Tamiya acrylic 'Dunkel Gelb' to get a 100% coverage. I'm an enamels man really but Ive just read the Wingleader book on the Lanc by Richard Alexander and there are some great photos that show how quickly Lancaster paint got worn goo I think that this model will several shades - and sheens - of black depending on the basic finish applied to the airframe you're building and then how keen you are to weather but even airframes only a few weeks old showed a tremendous amount of tonal variation - its really a weathering experts perforce subject. I don't think I'm that good but I also think that a model of this size gives a huge amount of scope to try things out.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Smokeyr67 said:

I know that there won’t be the decals I want in the box (Lanc B1 G for George W4783) so that takes some of the stress out of that issue, and to be honest, on a kit like this, is anyone going to use decals for the roundels?

Probably, if I think they look right, colour-wise but I'm also thinking about Kits World decals for national markings and stencils because I have a gut feeling that the red isn't 'brown' enough - and its the same ink for the stencils - and that the blue might be a bit bright. Once upon a time Modeldecal  could have been relied upon to get the right shade but I have an idea that Fantasy print Kits World and you cant beat Fantasy Printshop decals for colour fidelity - but I guess you'll use masks?!!

1 minute ago, Smokeyr67 said:

Yep, I’m planning on using masks for everything I can, if only because those roundels will be the size of a dinner plate so laying down a decal that size is scary !

Ha! I've used masks once - to do 1/32 EE Lightning nose markings and I found the paint was a bit thick - almost 3D! - after I'd sprayed it so I'm not sure about spraying roundels and fin flashes.

The Kits World national markings and stencil sheet actually looks quite bright in my eyes to so maybe the Bordernut ones will be fine!

On 2/21/2022 at 3:03 AM, Thomas V. said:

Is the kit worth x5 Airfix Typhoons or Hellcats in 24th scale, or 3,5 Tamiya Mosquitos in 32nd?...originally rrp set by WNW was around 300, now its 600...if it sells other brands will follow with such outrageous pricing policies.

Kit worth is set by the individual...  You appear to think it's not worth that.  Others will differ

The market will decide if the pricing is "outrageous"..... Just because you say it's outrageous doesn't mean it is... 

Nor is your idea that other brands will suddenly be upping their prices on kits based in anything but hyperbole... All brands know exactly how much their products cost to produce and how much they need / want to make.. In a capitalist system not everything has to be accessible to all. And toys fit into the "don't need to survive" category. 

Edited by Calum
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

If WnW owes Border Models money for work done and has not been paid, despite attempts to get payment, then the answer may be to get a judge in New Zealand to rule that in lieu of payment Border models can use to moulds to produce kits to offset their loss.

But I doubt the legal costs would make the exercise worthwhile. 

Sir P J holds all the cards, but he is behaving badly. 

But as I. mentioned previously, wealthy people believe they can do as they wish, as we are seeing in Russia. 

Border Models was not the original maker of the Lancaster moulds. That company is still unidentified but, apparently, WnW did not pay for the Lancaster moulds before they went dormant and then the moulds were sold on to Border who completed the tooling work and made them production ready. Sir PJ doesn’t really have a leg to stand on. Not only that, the cease-and-desist letter doesn’t talk about the ownership of the Lanc tooling, it complains that Border is using WnWs IP without proper licensing. Good luck to them if they think they can win an IP case against a Chinese company. 

All along, this has seemed to me like a way for PJ to get some payment for the design work WnW did on the Lanc tooling. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Smokeyr67 said:

Thanks, that narrows it down :)

Sorry not to be a twit. A few guys at our club have been painting roundels and flashes using Xtracolor and results look very good. Im not sure what else is available.

There must be other options with all the new paints these days.

Edited by Corky
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Corky said:

Sorry not to be a twit. A few guys at our club have been painting roundels and flashes using Xtracolor and results look very good. Im not sure what else is available.

There must be other options with all the new paints these days.

Corky, I was just posting to try and deflect the conversation away fro WnW, Border , Sir PJ and all that other boring crap!

Xtra colour should be great, but to be honest I’d prefer lacquer instead of enamel, we’ll see what’s available in 5 years or so when I finally get around to painting the exterior :)

Excellent! I was half asleep typing..... I really like lacquers too.

So many paint options these days.  🤔

thanks

cheers 

Edited by Corky
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Smokeyr67 said:

So, does anyone know the correct colours for the roundels, fin flashes and interior?

AK's Real Colours book on WWII aircraft gives paint chips and details on the colours. As with everything RAF it seems different shades for different periods of the war.

I’ve just spoken to Albion

1. The release date by Border was originally December then it was January and the latest is March. I have read that it was the finalising of the instructions that was remaining to be completed before they went to print.

2. The chap at Albion said that they hoped to have the kit in early May but I suggested to him that June might be more realistic because MBK in Germany were anticipating early March when the kit was thought to be available in the Far East before Christmas. By extrapolation I end up with June so I’m managing my expectations and thinking I’ve got another 2-3 months to plan the heist!! 
 And if it does appear in early May, well hurrah!!

So that gives us another 3 months or so to continue to speculate!! Happy days!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Yes.

4 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

And it includes blanks if you just want to fit the exhausts although I imagine you’ll have to fit the radiator

Great thanks, I had obviously missed this but somewhere it now rings a bell.

I cannot imagine how good this kit might be and no need for aftermarket... if we're lucky 🤞