1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

Well, after watching the video and looking again at the HK nose section kit, I decided order one.... I didn't order it from BNA, but can tell you that from Sydney to Brisvegas shipping was $14. Never thought I'd unload that many pacific pesos on a chunk of plastic... but there you go :D

I've been told they are on the dock waiting to ship out so it will be another 6wks away before we see them here in OZ...   I was hoping it would be sooner because I plan to use it for reference as I finish my 1/9 scale Lanc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ticketec said:

Well, after watching the video and looking again at the HK nose section kit, I decided order one.... I didn't order it from BNA, but can tell you that from Sydney to Brisvegas shipping was $14. Never thought I'd unload that many pacific pesos on a chunk of plastic... but there you go :D

I've been told they are on the dock waiting to ship out so it will be another 6wks away before we see them here in OZ...   I was hoping it would be sooner because I plan to use it for reference as I finish my 1/9 scale Lanc

Yke Rusticus plans?

You know, the one thing I can't understand with this kit is the lack of bulged bomb doors. It's got pretty much everything to make a later war machine, I suppose its a matter of putting all the variations on the clear sprue? No doubt the likes of Iconicair will produce a set of bulged doors - just in case Border don't get around to it!

37 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

You know, the one thing I can't understand with this kit is the lack of bulged bomb doors. It's got pretty much everything to make a later war machine, I suppose its a matter of putting all the variations on the clear sprue? No doubt the likes of Iconicair will produce a set of bulged doors - just in case Border don't get around to it!

Simon, I suspect you know but Iconicair do bulged doors for the HK Lancaster as well as a Tallboy. Not sure if they would work with the new Lancaster of course. The answer is get one of each. You only live once :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JohnT said:

Simon, I suspect you know but Iconicair do bulged doors for the HK Lancaster as well as a Tallboy. Not sure if they would work with the new Lancaster of course. The answer is get one of each. You only live once :D

Hi John 

No, I didn’t know that Iconicair did bulged bomb doors!! The should certainly fit shouldn’t they!! Graham is very particular about accuracy and I doubt Wingnut would have got it wrong !! I’ll PM him on LSP to ask him I think.

Thanks again

Simon

3 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Hi John 

No, I didn’t know that Iconicair did bulged bomb doors!! The should certainly fit shouldn’t they!! Graham is very particular about accuracy and I doubt Wingnut would have got it wrong !! I’ll PM him on LSP to ask him I think.

Thanks again

Simon

Fancy Simon?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/iconicair-combined-lancaster-tallboy-and-bulged-bomb-bay-doors--1324379

On 11/5/2021 at 6:23 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

In my old days of collecting rare DVDs, an Italian film was released then copies were immediately impounded by a copyright dispute - so the few copies that did make it into the wild were very hot property, far above the value anyone would normally have expected to pay for them.

Yep, I found obtaining a copy of "Naughty Nymphos in Naples" quite a challenge! I can't wait for the Director's Cut version....

Chris. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

May well - about £40 inc postage. Pity they’re not included with the kit ☹️

There are also suitable aftermarket decals for a Tallboy Lanc from Kits World.  Ask my bank manager how I know all this but not Mrs T  please

I always think the roundel colours are a bit "off" or am I wrong?

18 hours ago, Cammer625 said:

Hey Ticketec - wondering where you got yours from?? Cheers

Creative models Australia....  He contacted me via FB and said he had 2 without names on them in his allotment. 

$979 AUD plus $14 shipping.   

23 hours ago, Smokeyr67 said:

Yke Rusticus plans?

Tony Nijihus Plans...  132" (3.3m) span version... but I feel like i will end up building the 17ft one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There are also suitable aftermarket decals for a Tallboy Lanc from Kits World.  Ask my bank manager how I know all this but not Mrs T  please

I always think the roundel colours are a bit "off" or am I wrong?

Agreed about the roundels and I suspect it’s the same red for the stencils so aftermarket may be mandatory. Now is it the Tallboy in the standard BI/III and then the Grand Slam in the Special in the day colours? I think so. Mmmm….. maybe  a Tallboy Lanc then!! 

43 minutes ago, Don149 said:

It appears the bulged bomb bay doors have been scrubbed from the website . Maybe he is waiting to get his hands on the BMs one 

to check the accuracy ! .

If you have a look at the listing for the Tallboy you'll find the bomb bay doors there as well. You can buy the doors separately or with the bomb at a slightly lower combined price. Still a pity that BorderNut didn't include them with the basic kit but I suppose you could say that the Tallboy should be in there to and you have to draw a line somewhere I suppose!

On 2/16/2022 at 1:38 AM, Ticketec said:

Tony Nijihus Plans...  132" (3.3m) span version... but I feel like i will end up building the 17ft one. 

Wow, very nice! What are you going to power it with? I’d go for a set of Rotomotor 85 twin inlines, they’ll only set you back around 6000 Euro 😀 (I’m great at spending other peoples money)

Massive, a lot of detail, but the sprues have more flash than i'd expect, based on WnW experience... quit a lot of cleanup is going to be needed. 

Why didn't we see the transparencies? 

I look forward to the first "build story"...

13 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

rp set by WNW was around 300

I have a feeling that this price was nothing more than an internet rumour. When you look at the unboxing videos of the new Border's Lanc, I think that WNW would have lost a lot of money if they had ever actually brought their version of this model to market. 

Chris. 

2 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Is the kit worth x5 Airfix Typhoons or Hellcats in 24th scale, or 3,5 Tamiya Mosquitos in 32nd?...originally rrp set by WNW was around 300, now its 600...if it sells other brands will follow with such outrageous pricing policies.

WNW are not in business any more possibly because of the pricing policy where as Airfix and Tamiya have to make money. 
As for the question about how many Airfix 1/24 scale kits the Lancaster is worth that is a question only you can answer.  
Having built the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon and a few WNW kits I know what I think about that question.  
Other brands may try to ask for more money for their products on the back of this but do you think people will pay for for anything that is of inferior quality ?  

3 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Is the kit worth x5 Airfix Typhoons or Hellcats in 24th scale, or 3,5 Tamiya Mosquitos in 32nd?...originally rrp set by WNW was around 300, now its 600...if it sells other brands will follow with such outrageous pricing policies.

Yes, I remember that - it was about $399 if I recall on Wingnut website and that was the same price as the HKM Lanc at the time. Normally the dollar price translated to the same price in GBP for Wingnut products and when I compare both kits at SMW in 2018 the HKM kit was nowhere near as good as the Wingnut. At that point I decided not to buy the HKM kit and as I only want one Lanc, there is only one kit for me! Out of pure curiosity, I winced how much the Bordernut kit might be worth in 4 or 5 years time? Will it still be available? We know what happened to Wingnut prices so who would dare wait a few years? I wouldn't I know that, so to answer Thomas V's question 'Yes it is' !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bear Paw said:

WNW are not in business any more possibly because of the pricing policy where as Airfix and Tamiya have to make money. 
As for the question about how many Airfix 1/24 scale kits the Lancaster is worth that is a question only you can answer.  
Having built the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon and a few WNW kits I know what I think about that question.  
Other brands may try to ask for more money for their products on the back of this but do you think people will pay for for anything that is of inferior quality ?  

Technically Wingnut are not in business because the owner decided to stop trading. They are not bankrupt and they have not been wound up by court order, having said that various injection moulders have taken ownership of the moulds - I'm thinking Meng - because they were owed money by Wingnut and Border may have come to an arrangement with the mould maker who was doing the tooling for the Lancaster. Its true that WNW kits were the Rolls Royce of injection moulded kits but core of modellers bought their products, even though they were very expensive but compare the prices being charged by HpH or Lukgraph. I know we're not exactly comparing apples with apples but they are all expensive and not targeted at the mainstream. Even Copper State are only around £10 cheaper than comparable WNW kits but they have a very different financing model. But as Mr P says, its up to the individual to decide if they want to sell a limb or a close relative to fund a Lancaster kit!