1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

Why would they advertise this with "Full Interior" when ist doesn't have full interior? It appears that everything between the midupper-turret and the main-spar is not included. This isn't going to stop me from buying it, but why advertise with something that it hasn't got.

Thanks for the gen @PhoenixIIbut a ‘cease and desist’ notice holds no weight- it’s a warning. A cease and desist order is from a Court - which clearly must be in the operating jurisdiction of the respondent in question. I’m not convinced that his lawyers will be able to issue against all importers in every jurisdiction worldwide no matter how much money he has. 

if, as they say, they have seized the moulds under lien he would have a weak case! 

mind you it’s been a while since I practiced IP and media law 🙂

in any event it would appear they’ve reached Europe...

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see so many options being available within the kit, two sets of props, two main wheels; weighted and normal, additional SBC's for a change in bomb load but what I do find strange although it may well become apparent, is the separate sections for the top deck and bottom section of the fuselage ?? Perhaps this is a future option for different Marks of the Lancaster or even the modified versions Grand Slam etc  . . . Very disappointed to see the examples of the decals available, something 'NEW' would have been very welcomed.

Overall the detailing is phenomenal and I wonder how many will include all the bit and for that matter ' How long will somebody be prepared to take the time to build such a detailed kit that sadly alot of which will not be seen  . . .   

Its gonna make one hell of a kit when finished and on display   . . . . . . .

Looking at that video it just makes me more sorry that Border Models are not issuing the nose section as WNW had planned to do.  The full kit is too big and too expensive for me, but the nose section would have been doable.  Oh well, :(

• Like 2

Yes , and sad to say there will be a lot of parts left over for the "parts dept. ". I normally build fast , but this one will be built more slowly .

I wonder where the guy doing the demo. got his issue from ?.

2 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

.  Well now i need to sell everything i own and i must have one!!!!!  Noooooooooo!

Just buy one,turn the heating off for a couple of days and you'll be quids in 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just watched that video - sadly I don't speak German but I skimmed it and got what I wanted from it. Wow, what a kit! Having seen the prototypes at SMW I knew what to expect but a couple of points spring ti mind - I noticed a spelling mistake on the decal for the dinghy hatch - one letter out so hardly the end of the world ! I also noticed the throttle and mixture levers incorporated into the instrument panel moulding. Certainly very durable but there is bound to be an aftermarket replacement with etch levers. Lots of options included and I quite fancy a later airframe using the H2S radome and that will require aftermarket decals. I think its been said before that the roundels and squadron letters look a bit 'bright' in both the red and blue but that was a Pre-production kit so maybe thats been improved for production. Also the clear sprue in this example showed scratches and cracks here and there so whilst its pretty clear it may not be 'Tamiya perfect'. But hopefully the production examples will be fine. One hell of a kit though but I wonder how long we'll have to wait for later versions? The breakdown would certainly allow a 'nose only' kit but I wonder what Border's thinking is and whether they have the financial clout to invest in developments of the basic kit? But then, excluding B.II's, you can pretty much make any BI/III from introduction to the end of the war. You'd need bulged bomb doors and alternative tail turrets - Rose for example - but its just decals after that. I doubt we'll ever see the likes of this kit again and its just sad that its not being released under the Wingnut name but thats progress I guess!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

....  I knew what to expect but a couple of points spring ti mind - I noticed a spelling mistake on the decal for the dinghy hatch - one letter out so hardly the end of the world ! 

Maybe that has to do with the lighting.

It was a little dingy.

🤣

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

. I doubt we'll ever see the likes of this kit again and its just sad that its not being released under the Wingnut name but thats progress I guess!

I greatly suspect we will. If this sells out and makes money, other firms will doubtless look to make their own version. Kit design is a business and if it makes more than it costs, its worth doing.

Big models naturally attract attention and free publicity - this kit is probably the best known new release of 2022 even amongst modellers who have no intention to buy it.

I watched this video in awe!  I usually skip around, look at a couple of shots of the surface detail, the decals and maybe the concluding comments but I rarely if ever watch the whole thing.  I watched all 50 minutes of this video amazed at the achievement with this tooling while the gentleman droned on in German (mostly) and me not understanding much of anything he was saying.  Even with the language barrier I could sense that he is as amazed by this plastic as I.  This must be a crowning achievement for the plastic model trade.  The interior details with wiring etc., the molded in seat belts, the stressed skin etc. is better than anything I have seen done in plastic before now.  I didn't think details of this sort were even possible to do in plastic.  I am amazed by this achievement.  It really is a shame though that it will not see the full WnW treatment.  Imagine what they would have done with the rest of this package.  I bet a glorious full color booklet with history and instructions would have been included.  I suspect the decal sheet would have been much better than what Border has given us as well.  I understand that these thoughts are useless speculation, but i can't help but feel a sense of loss that WnW did not live to see this through and what the full package presentation would have been like under their label.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

I watched this video in awe!  I usually skip around, look at a couple of shots of the surface detail, the decals and maybe the concluding comments but I rarely if ever watch the whole thing.  I watched all 50 minutes of this video amazed at the achievement with this tooling while the gentleman droned on in German (mostly) and me not understanding much of anything he was saying.  Even with the language barrier I could sense that he is as amazed by this plastic as I.  This must be a crowning achievement for the plastic model trade.  The interior details with wiring etc., the molded in seat belts, the stressed skin etc. is better than anything I have seen done in plastic before now.  I didn't think details of this sort were even possible to do in plastic.  I am amazed by this achievement.  It really is a shame though that it will not see the full WnW treatment.  Imagine what they would have done with the rest of this package.  I bet a glorious full color booklet with history and instructions would have been included.  I suspect the decal sheet would have been much better than what Border has given us as well.  I understand that these thoughts are useless speculation, but i can't help but feel a sense of loss that WnW did not live to see this through and what the full package presentation would have been like under their label.

Totally agree but I think that the instruction booklet will be better than in the video as the chap said it was a set of preproduction instructions. But they’ll have to go the extra mile to even match Wingnut! 

Hannants are saying April or May release here . I`ve nearly finished the Occre London tram and only have its display base and the re issue 

Italeri 1/24 th scale Jeep in the stash . The eagerly awaited 1/32nd Beaufighter and Vampire 5 will not be out for some time . What`s a chap to do ? .

Downcast Don .

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

Hannants are saying April or May release here . I`ve nearly finished the Occre London tram and only have its display base and the re issue 

Italeri 1/24 th scale Jeep in the stash . The eagerly awaited 1/32nd Beaufighter and Vampire 5 will not be out for some time . What`s a chap to do ? .

Downcast Don .

That’s about the timescale I was thinking of Don. Should have been released before Christmas and MKB were estimating early March availability so call it 3 months from release in the Far East to European availability. April/May’s about right I would say.

Wonder how much the Vampires and Beau will be? It also occurred to me that if they are anything like the Helldiver then Infinity will release basic kits that then need the Infinity ‘upgrade sets’ but I hope not - I prefer the Special Hobby approach where it’s all pretty much there. But I digress - roll on the Lanc!!

• Like 1

Well I took the plunge and won an online auction for a WnW's LVG Cv1 for the grand total of £175. What a relief I'm not chasing a big Lancaster,

40 minutes ago, KITCAT said:

Well I took the plunge and won an online auction for a WnW's LVG Cv1 for the grand total of £175. What a relief I'm not chasing a big Lancaster,

That’s a very good price these days ! Well done

I love the 'oil canning'- I appreciate its the done thing to bash Airfix these days 🙄 but is it fair to say that their 1/24 Tiffie was the first time oil canning (as opposed to fabric effects which have been around for decades) had been actively added to a mainstream kit?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I love the 'oil canning'- I appreciate its the done thing to bash Airfix these days 🙄 but is it fair to say that their 1/24 Tiffie was the first time oil canning (as opposed to fabric effects which have been around for decades) had been actively added to a mainstream kit?

I think that's fair, they took it to the next level with the Hellcat, so I'm looking forward to the Spitfire next :eat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not a kit for me (I don't need a Lanc/B-17 etc any larger than 1/72) but I am genuinely excited for those builders who have been waiting for it, excited to see their elation at receiving it, and excited to follow along with their builds. The kit itself is a remarkable achievement.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

I think that's fair, they took it to the next level with the Hellcat, so I'm looking forward to the Spitfire next :eat:

Very good point and I hope the Spit is as good as it should be. I queried with Airfix if the upper cowl line is right. You know how the  cowl ‘bulges’ upwards forward of the top fuel tank? No reply. I hope they’ve got that right otherwise it will wind me up!!

On 2/10/2022 at 4:22 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

I greatly suspect we will. If this sells out and makes money, other firms will doubtless look to make their own version. Kit design is a business and if it makes more than it costs, its worth doing.

Big models naturally attract attention and free publicity - this kit is probably the best known new release of 2022 even amongst modellers who have no intention to buy it.

I suspect that if the initial 500 kits sell out as rapidly as it seems they will, then we’ll see another run and perhaps even another version (Dambusters?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

Unquestionably a stupendous kit, but I won't be getting one. I've got nowhere to put it and, at a price well north of a thousand Pacific pesos, it's too rich for my pocket.

Yep, it’s $1150 in our money, then add the cost of a semi to ship it from BNA to my Brisvegas model workshop and it”s certainly not cheap!

Well, Powerballs up to $80 mill next week, I’ll split a ticket with you and if (when) we win, we can buy all 500 of them AND build a couple of hangars to house them in

• Haha 4