Jump to content

1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - pre-released - full release December 2021


Homebee

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Don149 said:

I see Hannants are off the fence at £ 558 on pre order ! . ( I`m tempted ) .

                                                                                                                    Don .

Where I live, that works out to almost $1000. Now I don't feel so bad about spending that much, just this morning, on a new set of all-weather tires for the Libbie before winter sets in.

 

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I`ve taken the plunge , put it Backorder , that will make three big Lancs . . Expecting the men in white coats any day now ! .

If memory serves , W/Wings were going to kick the " oilcanning " effect into touch , am I right ? .

                                                                                                                                                        Don .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well if Hannants have it at £558 and their normally well over the average prices around, what do they know that others don't then 😉

Still lovely kit but just nowhere to put it when and if it got built

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m out, just too big for me. I do wonder whether a polystyrene-cemented fuselage joint can be strong enough to bear the strain of the weight of two massive, no doubt very heavy wings pulling down on it from either side whenever it is lifted….

A real shame if reports are true that the nose section won’t be released as a separate kit now, I’m sure that would have sold exponentially more than the full kit will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, johnny akes said:

I’m out, just too big for me. I do wonder whether a polystyrene-cemented fuselage joint can be strong enough to bear the strain of the weight of two massive, no doubt very heavy wings pulling down on it from either side whenever it is lifted….

A real shame if reports are true that the nose section won’t be released as a separate kit now, I’m sure that would have sold exponentially more than the full kit will.

In my experience Wingnut kits are very well engineered so I don’t think you need to worry about the fuselage splitting under the strain. Colin mentioned the oil canning of the surfaces, well that’s one of the reasons why this model is so good. You look at a 1:1 Lancaster and that’s exactly what the surface texture is like and why this kit is a quantum better than the HKM in my opinion and that’s why I decided to not buy the HKM one. My view is that it is better to buy this kit whilst its available at this price. Whose ever heard of the price of a superb kit going down? I know you  can but an Airfix Tiffie or Hellcat for Jess than the RRP but they are not the same kind of package and I really can’t see this kit being sold at 3/4 RRP because Border have made too many and they can’t sell them. What is 

more likely is that the moulds get damaged at some point - it happened with SH’s 1/32 Typhoons - and Border don’t make any more. My view is ‘get it whilst you can’ because we don’t know what tomorrow may bring. I appreciate that a) it’s horribly expensive as b) storage/display might be an issue but I have decided to cross those bridges when I come to them and I believe we’ve got 4 months plus before any money has to be spent. It feels like a unique opportunity. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

In my experience Wingnut kits are very well engineered so I don’t think you need to worry about the fuselage splitting under the strain. Colin mentioned the oil canning of the surfaces, well that’s one of the reasons why this model is so good. You look at a 1:1 Lancaster and that’s exactly what the surface texture is like and why this kit is a quantum better than the HKM in my opinion and that’s why I decided to not buy the HKM one. My view is that it is better to buy this kit whilst its available at this price. Whose ever heard of the price of a superb kit going down? I know you  can but an Airfix Tiffie or Hellcat for Jess than the RRP but they are not the same kind of package and I really can’t see this kit being sold at 3/4 RRP because Border have made too many and they can’t sell them. What is 

more likely is that the moulds get damaged at some point - it happened with SH’s 1/32 Typhoons - and Border don’t make any more. My view is ‘get it whilst you can’ because we don’t know what tomorrow may bring. I appreciate that a) it’s horribly expensive as b) storage/display might be an issue but I have decided to cross those bridges when I come to them and I believe we’ve got 4 months plus before any money has to be spent. It feels like a unique opportunity. 

All good points Simon, and on reflection I guess we’d have heard from builders of HKM’s B17 and Lanc if this had been an issue. However as much as I’d like this I’ve enough loft insulation as it is, and this deserves to be built rather than being hidden away due to lack of space. I’ve plumped instead for HKM’s nose section as much as I’d like to see the oil canning effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same here I have a HKH nose section, shame about Border not doing the nose.I wonder if that one was a different mold completely which they don't have. Can't remember if the WNW complete kit on display at Telford has a joint around there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, johnny akes said:

All good points Simon, and on reflection I guess we’d have heard from builders of HKM’s B17 and Lanc if this had been an issue. However as much as I’d like this I’ve enough loft insulation as it is, and this deserves to be built rather than being hidden away due to lack of space. I’ve plumped instead for HKM’s nose section as much as I’d like to see the oil canning effect.

I understand where you’re coming from totally. You could always have a go at ‘oil canning’ your HKM nose? There’s a lovely build review on LSP by a chap whose done a lovely job of oil canning the entire airframe and the model looks excellent. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 6:40 PM, Don149 said:

I see Hannants are off the fence at £ 558 on pre order ! . ( I`m tempted ) .

                                                                                                                    Don .

 

So am I. And it's 23 times cheaper than the new bike Honda have just announced (NT1100) and which I'm pretending I could find the funds for.  

 

Suddenly, the Lanc seems doable. 😁

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, IanC said:

 

So am I. And it's 23 times cheaper than the new bike Honda have just announced (NT1100) and which I'm pretending I could find the funds for.  

 

Suddenly, the Lanc seems doable. 😁

Just don’t buy 23 of them!!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Just don’t buy 23 of them!!

 

That's more or less a squadron, isn't it?

Imagine that... 

 

If I did get one, I'd change the markings a bit. Perhaps add some unique nose art. Make it my kite... 😀

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything I buy I justify in ciggie dollars.  As an ex smoker, 4 * 50 packs a week (and some tobacco) a week, currently about $70 a pack (Australia has Somewhat a high tax on ciggies), means one of these magnificent kits is only 11.42 packs or just under 3 weeks worth of said ciggies.  Bargain for what you are getting. Compared to 11.42 packs of ciggies.  Just need to remind my wife of how much I’ve saved over the last 10 years 😬

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Cammer625 said:

Everything I buy I justify in ciggie dollars.  As an ex smoker, 4 * 50 packs a week (and some tobacco) a week, currently about $70 a pack (Australia has Somewhat a high tax on ciggies), means one of these magnificent kits is only 11.42 packs or just under 3 weeks worth of said ciggies.  Bargain for what you are getting. Compared to 11.42 packs of ciggies.  Just need to remind my wife of how much I’ve saved over the last 10 years 😬

I kind of reversed that logic - I spent my entire 1/32 Lancaster budget on a new set of tires. (But installed on a 2007 Jeep Liberty, I don't think I'll be "smoking them" much...:winkgrin:)

 

John

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick update on the import cost thing. Ive just ordered something from the Aviation Megastore. It cost £205 ex VAT and is being carried by UPS. UPS asked me to pay £51.62 which is made up of £40.12 'Government charge' (which os about right based on purchase price - which includes shipping) plus £11.50 'Broking Charge' which is UPS's handling fee. So that might help to establish what a purchase from MBK might ultimately actually cost?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a funny thing but every time I drop in to read this thread, I think I want to buy one of the Lancasters. This happens despite:

 

the cost, which is simply too much on my pension

 

my lack of interest in the subject, which I became bored with years ago after making lots of them including a couple of the 'big' Tamiya ones, as we called them at the time, in our innocence

 

my inability to sustain interest in anything for the year it would take me to build it

 

my one bedroom 'cosy' flat, which would probably fit inside the box the Lanc comes in

 

my almost total inexperience of 1/32 aircraft, caused by not liking them very much

 

my insight that I'm vulnerable, like most people, to a sort of child like desire to belong to the big kids gang by having the cool toys.

 

my fear of missing out, carefully nurtured by the advertising industry and the model manufacturers and traders

 

And right at this second, I really, really want one. Fortunately, this madness will go away in a minute or two but ain't people complicated things when it comes to their wants and needs?

  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

Just a quick update on the import cost thing. Ive just ordered something from the Aviation Megastore. It cost £205 ex VAT and is being carried by UPS. UPS asked me to pay £51.62 which is made up of £40.12 'Government charge' (which os about right based on purchase price - which includes shipping) plus £11.50 'Broking Charge' which is UPS's handling fee. So that might help to establish what a purchase from MBK might ultimately actually cost?

Just over £500 I reckon. If you check my post yesterday at about 18:00 I did a quick breakdown.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 2:21 PM, John Thompson said:

Where I live, that works out to almost $1000. Now I don't feel so bad about spending that much, just this morning, on a new set of all-weather tires for the Libbie before winter sets in.

 

John

 Exactly. I said the same to myself. I bought four all terrain tires for my truck instead before winter set-in, the tires were cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Richard123 said:

Just over £500 I reckon. If you check my post yesterday at about 18:00 I did a quick breakdown.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Thanks Richard. I am undecided!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, John Thompson said:

I kind of reversed that logic - I spent my entire 1/32 Lancaster budget on a new set of tires. (But installed on a 2007 Jeep Liberty, I don't think I'll be "smoking them" much...:winkgrin:)

 

John

Looks like three of us bought tires instead. I had money set aside for the WNWs announced cost. Not this amount. It almost doubled.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Looks like three of us bought tires instead. I had money set aside for the WNWs announced cost. Not this amount. It almost doubled.

I am fortunate enough to live where all season m&s rated tires suffice, however even if it was a B-17, I wouldn’t pay that much for something that I would ultimately have to hang from the ceiling. What a travesty that would be, in either case. Possibly my local BC Aviation Museum may purchase one if they can make a Mk.IX out of it. The real thing they are restoring is going to be in post war RCAF bare metal with all the colours. That, would show off the stressed skin in spectacular fashion.

BTW @Scooby, I drove a 74 Triumph Spitfire when I lived in Namao. It had Pirelli P3 Cinturato’s, no hardtop, no block heater, no battery heater. I had to take the battery out when I got home and store it inside until I had to leave again. The seat was hard as rock and cold as ice, and I swear the tires were square. (During the winter months)

British racing green, with a Union Jack painted across the front of the “bonnet”. The original “Shagfire” baby yeah! Haha Pulled into a service station outside of Calgary with it one day. The attendant, a tall lean fellow in coveralls, chewing gum with the peak of his ball cap turned up, said, “is that one of those Italian sports cars?” I guess the Union Jack wasn’t a clue in.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Looks like three of us bought tires instead. I had money set aside for the WNWs announced cost. Not this amount. It almost doubled.

Hahaha - just checked and still cheaper than reshoeing my old 80 series Landcruiser.  So in the tyre economy, it’s about 3 tyres worth. Luckily my tyres do a good 100,000+ km.  Done 60,000 so far and not half worn yet.

However, I do understand the comments about affordability and where to put this thing.  Dining table? Bar? Specially built coffee table (that would be so cool). With the help of some creative accounting, I think I might be able to wrangle 2.  Maybe, need to see the final price.  Let’s be honest, a kit like this will take an average (me - sorta down near the mediocre end) at least 12 months of hard yakker to get built.  I spend a lot more than that on models during the year.  So now I just buy nothing until this is acquired, built and displayed. Giving up buying kits is harder than it was giving up the smokes! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's a funny thing but every time I drop in to read this thread, I think I want to buy one of the Lancasters. This happens despite:

 

the cost, which is simply too much on my pension

 

my lack of interest in the subject, which I became bored with years ago after making lots of them including a couple of the 'big' Tamiya ones, as we called them at the time, in our innocence

 

my inability to sustain interest in anything for the year it would take me to build it

 

my one bedroom 'cosy' flat, which would probably fit inside the box the Lanc comes in

 

my almost total inexperience of 1/32 aircraft, caused by not liking them very much

 

my insight that I'm vulnerable, like most people, to a sort of child like desire to belong to the big kids gang by having the cool toys.

 

my fear of missing out, carefully nurtured by the advertising industry and the model manufacturers and traders

 

And right at this second, I really, really want one. Fortunately, this madness will go away in a minute or two but ain't people complicated things when it comes to their wants and needs?

So your going to buy one then. Your kidding yourself and the inner you has already made your mind up, probably like the rest of us.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2021 at 1:32 AM, John Thompson said:

I kind of reversed that logic - I spent my entire 1/32 Lancaster budget on a new set of tires. (But installed on a 2007 Jeep Liberty, I don't think I'll be "smoking them" much...:winkgrin:)

 

John

Or 5 tanks of fuel…….

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - pre-released - full release December 2021
  • Mike locked this topic
  • Mike unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...