1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

On 10/23/2021 at 11:05 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

It's a funny thing but every time I drop in to read this thread, I think I want to buy one of the Lancasters. This happens despite:

the cost, which is simply too much on my pension

my lack of interest in the subject, which I became bored with years ago after making lots of them including a couple of the 'big' Tamiya ones, as we called them at the time, in our innocence

my inability to sustain interest in anything for the year it would take me to build it

my one bedroom 'cosy' flat, which would probably fit inside the box the Lanc comes in

my almost total inexperience of 1/32 aircraft, caused by not liking them very much

my insight that I'm vulnerable, like most people, to a sort of child like desire to belong to the big kids gang by having the cool toys.

my fear of missing out, carefully nurtured by the advertising industry and the model manufacturers and traders

And right at this second, I really, really want one. Fortunately, this madness will go away in a minute or two but ain't people complicated things when it comes to their wants and needs?

Partly as a way to divert myself from inpulsively buying one of these incredibly attractive, but unsuitable for me, models, I bought the Hong Kong Models Nose Section model. 😁

This, for me, contains 80% of the interesting parts of the aircraft and looks almost as high in quality as the Bronco model will be. I bought some aftermarket too which took my spend to about £140. I'll build it as a model of a fictitious 'museum cockpit restoration' and be able to display it in my Billy bookcase with glass doors (Ikea). It's all arrived and looks lovely. I'm very happy. 🙂

Incredible irony is that Border Models' last big Facebook rant was complaining that Takom stole their IP and designs.

Now deleted but archived on this blog post.

https://spruepiewithfrets.wordpress.com/2021/06/30/about-that-border-rye-fields-takom-cat-fight/

From a sales point of view, it will be a boon to any supplier who does manage to get hold of the kits - given their potential seizure as part of a legal case, it could greatly increase demand (and thus the price people are willing to pay).

In my old days of collecting rare DVDs, an Italian film was released then copies were immediately impounded by a copyright dispute - so the few copies that did make it into the wild were very hot property, far above the value anyone would normally have expected to pay for them.

Edited by Tim R-T-C

2 hours ago, Mike said:

It's probably better for all sides in this stuggle to keep their own counsel to avoid adding grist to the mill of the opposing side.  It's also best that all the disinterested parties (aka the members and vendors) keep their gobs shut to avoid being dragged into the fracas.  No-one wants sueage. :fraidnot:

Oh yes I do !!!:D  I’ve a mortgage to 💰 :giggle:

Actually from a legal perspective this is really interesting and I’d love to know more hard facts 

And yes I do need to get out more :D

however on a serious note Mike is right in saying we should sit tight and watch but not pronounce. Least said soonest mended

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Crumbs- what a post from Border! Sounds very much to me that they are in the right- and I seriously doubt that WNW will have much fun issuing proceedings in China for breach of IP/copyright! Some of the world's biggest car makers have tried that and got nowhere !

TT

I think there are holes in the story, we only are hearing one side. I'm sure WNWs must have invested something into the molds.

Regardless, it is drama from both sides.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

It's probably better for all sides in this stuggle to keep their own counsel to avoid adding grist to the mill of the opposing side.  It's also best that all the disinterested parties (aka the members and vendors) keep their gobs shut to avoid being dragged into the fracas.  No-one wants sueage. :fraidnot:

Quite so just find it curious from a legal perspective a a C&D doesn’t mean they have a case nor that any proceedings will be issued and even if they were that any Court would grant judgement in their favour -  its often a common (and cheap scare tactic) 

but I respect your point and won’t comment further 

(It piques my interest , being a solicitor and all 🙂)

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I think that is sound advice. One thing I'd add is that folk should be aware there are issues before splashing out a large deal of money. It might be best to hold off for a wee while to see if this all blows over before splashing £600.

Can't recommend this course of action enough.  No-one take any risks out there, please folks? :pray:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

(It piques my interest , being a solicitor and all 🙂)

It does mine, and I'm just a prole ;) I was talking about it earlier with a fellow modeller, and just trying to get the who owns what part straight is tricksy.  Lawyers will make bank on this case if it gets to the courts. 🤐

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Lawyers will make bank on this case if it gets to the courts. 🤐

It seems to me that rather none of us is able to check the truthfulness of the companies' statements.

On the other hand, if the design or moulds ordered by company X have not been paid for and calls for payment have been ignored by company X for a very long time, it will be a bit difficult to prove that company X is the owner of the design and/or moulds.
In such a case, lawyers are unlikely to make much money.

I'm not sure why they decided to air their dirty laundry to the model world.

Kind of pointless. As a modeller just tell me release date and I'll leave it to my supplier shop to tell me when its shipped.

On the other hand I still have a HK Lancaster if the Border Lanc never shows up. 🤓

I'm going to put this one on the back-burner until something concrete appears.  The only thing we're going to achieve by leaving it open is as follows:

• The death of millions of innocent electrons in a pointless fashion
  • The possibility of arguments.  "There's enough to worry about in the real world" Paul Thompson
  • The possibility of someone putting their foot firmly in the :poop: and adding themselves to the legal process.  Libel is alive and well on the internet, and more people should take that into account when wiggling their fingers on a keyboard
  • It's a moderating nightmare, and it's a burden we can just as well do without.  It's a modelling site, not a legal site

So, I'm going to shut it down, but if something real and tangible appears on the subject, drop the Mods a line with a brief note as to what the update is, and we'll consider re-opening it.  Please don't start any more threads on the matter, as they'll just get closed down, which is more moderating for us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - pre-released - full release December 2021
  • Mike locked this topic
  • Mike unlocked this topic

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=902151220414534&id=339312286698433

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=899663170663339&id=339312286698433

The first batch of our limited 1/32 Lancaster will soon be sold out. This is the latest packaging renderings and test painting sample.

A huge box 

255753531-899663093996680-43711186104130

256377605-902151327081190-73714333347457

254895624-902151390414517-80340622686925

255408260-902151397081183-50913770278019

255324473-902151343747855-81229254055176

255385591-902151960414460-34612059211890

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 15

That text painting sample is really something to see. While it's fun thinking about building something like that, it's a whole lot more model than I could cope with; I don't have the skills to capitalize on what could be done with it. I am looking forward to see what Britmodeler's best do with it though.

• Like 1

Yes Keithjs , I dropped a clanger when the HK B17F was coming out , `wanted one as"The Knockout Dropper " so bought the Kits World sheet

before the kit was released , and there the very markings were in the box ! . I did at lease get the stars / bars with red outlines , which were the

smartest looking markings of the USAAF , in my opinion . Once bitten- twice shy , eh ? .

Don .

• Haha 1

I think you will be in luck , Mr T . One of the test shots has one with the modified forward bomb bay and the drive wheel for spinning the mine .

Don .

11 minutes ago, Phil Gollin said:

Does either/any 1/32nd Lancaster model manufacturer offer an H2S scanner as an option ?

Thanks.

The HKM kit does I think so there aught to be a few H2S bits floating about as spares if you ask!

• Thanks 1

On my second HK Lanc . I put on the H2S scanner and put in a half round part left over from something or other to represent the rotating dish ,

but with most of the " bump " being painted over , with just the rear bit left clear to show the downward signalling lights , you have to really look

to see it . The new one will be built as a mark 3 , but unless the dish and mounting are in the kit I`ll give it a miss , just fit the housing .

Don .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Reportedly four Merlin complete engines  . . . 

Thats interesting - Wingnut were going to include only one and 3 sets of plates to hold the exhaust stubs in 3 nacelles but then offer additional Merlins as aftermarket parts. Theres a certain logic to that - who wants to detail 4 Merlins - unless you want all the cowlings off? Okay, maybe a lot would! Not sure if I could detail a Merlin 4 times though.

• Like 1

I got a good chuckle after reading that. Thanks Alan!

Just reminded me what a DB Klaus was back then.

Someone will make a pile of money with a Border Lancaster on Ebay once they are gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1