1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

18 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I am fortunate enough to live where all season m&s rated tires suffice, however even if it was a B-17, I wouldn’t pay that much for something that I would ultimately have to hang from the ceiling. What a travesty that would be, in either case. Possibly my local BC Aviation Museum may purchase one if they can make a Mk.IX out of it. The real thing they are restoring is going to be in post war RCAF bare metal with all the colours. That, would show off the stressed skin in spectacular fashion.

BTW @Scooby, I drove a 74 Triumph Spitfire when I lived in Namao. It had Pirelli P3 Cinturato’s, no hardtop, no block heater, no battery heater. I had to take the battery out when I got home and store it inside until I had to leave again. The seat was hard as rock and cold as ice, and I swear the tires were square. (During the winter months)

British racing green, with a Union Jack painted across the front of the “bonnet”. The original “Shagfire” baby yeah! Haha Pulled into a service station outside of Calgary with it one day. The attendant, a tall lean fellow in coveralls, chewing gum with the peak of his ball cap turned up, said, “is that one of those Italian sports cars?” I guess the Union Jack wasn’t a clue in.

Too funny, must of been a Flames fan. I had Triumph TR7s, just sold my Mini a few weeks ago, it had the Union Jack and racing stripes. The AT tires went on my Tacoma. I need them where I live.

• Like 1

Which country , I guess Far East , are Border Models in and are their AFVs re pops ? .

Don .

On 10/24/2021 at 10:55 AM, FG2Si said:

Lucky Models' has just announced their holiday sale. Use code Holiday22 and get 22% off the price.  

They're still offering the $20 surface shipping special too. 

Carl

Can you use the discount on pre-orders?

21 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Yes!

Use HOLIDAY22 for orders over $150, HOLIDAY15 for orders over $100 and HOLIDAY12 for orders over $50.

The Lancaster from LuckyModels shipped by snail mail ($20) is: $519.19!

Order TotalUSD$659.99

Non-Promotion Total

Discount/CouponUSD$140.80

Net TotalUSD$519.19

:eat:🤪:yikes:🎅:xmasparty:

Edited by Masinissa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

As others have posted, yes you can use it on preorders. I've done it in the past with several orders from them. 

Also surprisingly, the air mail option is 1/3 less to Canada than the US for some reason. It's $78 US to Canada but $118 to the States. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Don149 said:

Which country , I guess Far East , are Border Models in and are their AFVs re pops ? .

Don .

I believe Border are China based. My Chinese is very rusty and I've forgotten how to read most of it sadly.  Their kits aren't re-pops but all original tooling. I've got their Panzer IV and Tiger 1 kits in the stash and they're both nice. 

On 10/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, FG2Si said:

Lucky Models' has just announced their holiday sale. Use code Holiday22 and get 22% off the price.  

They're still offering the $20 surface shipping special too. 

Carl

Just note Lucky did put the preorder price up by 40usd to offset the discount of 22%

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Corky said:

Just note Lucky did put the preorder price up by 40usd to offset the discount of 22%

Interesting. I just checked my pre-order and it's at $599USD so the change list have just happened. 

Hobbyeasy has changed their price on the kit as well. They've lowered theirs a bit. I think this is the second reduction I've seen from them. 

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/dqnsmkhtxe8uo2rhbfnh.html?t=1635249478?t=1635249535

52 minutes ago, Corky said:

Naughty - not allowed to do that in the U.K. The discount has to have been from the price for the previous month. Pretty cute - we’d better watch out for that - fiendish!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=897164157579907&id=339312286698433

Today BORDER MODEL will issue a statement about Lancaster.

We released the 1/32 AVRO Lancaster w/full Interior 2 months ago. We did not mention any words about WINGNUTWINGS in all our official presentations. And did not use any rendering used by their company. The only BOXART used is from Mr. Mark Postlethwaite, the artist from whom we purchased the rights to use this Lancaster painting. Although all modelers know that this kit first belonged to WINGNUTWINGS.

But the true story is that WINGNUTWINGS has never paid for the Lancaster molds since they announced their closure in 2020. (...). The factory owners are already on the verge of closing down because of the COVID19 in 2020 and the 2021 China's power restriction policy. One of the factory owners who helped WINGNUTWINGS to make the Lancaster molds is our friend. They complained to us that the department that WINGNUTWINGS has not responded to emails for a year and a half since 2020. They don't pay fees and would not say anything about the reason. Finally in June of 2021, the factory owner sent them a final email, which probably read: If you do not pay for the tooling and give a reasonable response and explanation within a month. We will dispose of LANCASTER's molds by ourselves.

One month later, the factory had not received any positive response and certainly no payment. Subsequently, for many reasons, including helping the factory to recover its costs and BORDER also very much hope that this LANCASTER can be successfully launched, because it is the dream of many modelers including us!Then we signed a contract to purchase the mold on July 29th 2021. From now on, the 1/32 scale LANCASTER molds belong to BORDER MODEL!

But it was not an easy project. First of all we didn't have any CAD drawings of the Lancaster, and we used a special method in order to finish the assembly instructions. It took a lot of time and money to complete the instructions. Secondly, the molds for the Lancaster were not finished. There are many parts of such a huge bomber that contain many mistakes. Some details were missing, and some parts could not be assembled. We spent more time and money tweaking and repairing the molds because we didn't want such an epic product to come to market with flaws!

Our high retail price is also due to the above reasons. High tooling costs, more modification tests, difficult assembly instructions and all kinds of unforeseen risks. And we didn't think there would be great sales for such a huge aircraft.

Then in October, we received a letter from the lawyer of Peter Jackson, the founder of WINGNUTWINGS.

The lawyer's letter claims that we stole WINGNUTWINGS' molds and violated their intellectual property rights. The lawyer's letter (...) claims that "BORDER obtained the molds from WINGNUTWINGS". Everyone knows that all official statements of BORDER do not mention even one word about WINGNUTWINGS. And our molds were legally purchased from the mold factory!

Then we replied and explained everything, but got no reply! After another half month, all BORDER agents around the world received a letter from Peter Jackson's lawyer. He threatened our agents not to allow them to sell BORDER 1/32 LANCASTER, which made us very angry! The lawyer's letter slandered us as thieves and said we were infringing their intellectual property rights.

First of all, according to the contract between the factory and WINGNUTWINGS, the ownership of the LANCASTER mold belongs to the factory until the payment is completed made. The factory finally sold the molds to BORDER legally after a year and a half of communication without any response and learning that WINGNUTWINGS had closed down and sent an ultimatum. So 1/32 of LANCASTER's molds belong to BORDER without any doubt!

Secondly, the article about infringement of intellectual property rights is even more ridiculous. Everyone knows that military models are not copyrighted. Neither we nor the factory keep or use any of their company CAD drawings (which I think WINGNUTWINGS employees know), the factory only has 3D drawings of the parts used to design the molds. We have relied on a unique approach to creating the instructions. And we have modified many bad designs of the mold. The overall design has also undergone some modifications due to problems with the mold and the injection process. This is already a completely new development, so WINGNUTWINGS has no so-called "intellectual property" for this mold!

A final word about Peter Jackson and WINGNUTWINGS: Many people at WINGNUTWINGS knew in advance that we had purchased the LANCASTER mold, and they were all very happy to have this product available and helped us out a lot. They are all very wonderful and friendly people. (...)

(...) these lawyers' letters make us out to be criminal thieves and liars. Seriously damaging the image of our company and intimidating our agents! However, it is you who can do such a bad thing without knowing everything, or maybe you think that Chinese model companies and mold factories only steal your poor "intellectual property". And you are free to break the contract and default on the money that the factory depends on? So next time before you send a lawyer's letter, please make sure you are a responsible and trustworthy person.

At the end, I really hope Peter Jackson can reopen a modeling company, we would love to compete and battle with you in this industry. If not, then I think it's better for you to make movies.

BORDER's 1/32 LANCASTER will be released worldwide in December 2021, we have finished all the mold modifications, finished all the instructions, decals, painting instructions, and are in full production and packaging!

Either way we will release LANCASTER !!!!

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

Despite Border Models' claims Wingnut Wings haven't closed down, they have stopped producing models but they are very much alive as a Corporate entity. 

Border Models may well continue to produce the kit but will they be able to sell them on to foreign Importers without those Importers facing their own law suits from the US? If it goes to Court in the US it could take years to sort out.

Duncan B

Well I read the Border facebook comments

. Man what drama. But frankly I couldn't give a crap about lawsuits US or other. If the the model is released it will get delivered to many of us around the world. Peter Jackson sounds like a real winner.

Those excerpts from the instructions are very interesting. Just looking at the turret construction shows that it will be a complex job which will require time and patience and I wonder how much information there is on the fuselage halves with regard to holes for aerial location? Not one to be rushed that's for sure. And how good will Border be for spare parts? Just imagine what would happen if you broke a clear part?!!

One thing that Wingnut don't seem to have addressed is the canopy astrodome. If I remember rightly there was a tall one and a shallow one? The kit seems to have the shallow one? Strange given that the kit includes later and earlier bomb aimers blisters and optional side blisters for the canopy?

I was thinking about storage and display this morning and, with the outer wings off, its not to big a chunk really and it struck me that if you had a single display case you could include a draw in the base to contain the removed wing panels, you'd just have to make sure that the propellors were detachable and could be stored flat with the wing but that should work I think.

With all of this legal threatening going on I just hope that Sir P doesn't turn into a real spoiler through his actions. It strikes me that if Wingnut owed a significant amount to the Chinese manufacturers for mould making work then there's hope for the likes of the O/100 and O/400 kits if a similar scenario exists there?

Patience!!

• Like 1

Crumbs- what a post from Border! Sounds very much to me that they are in the right- and I seriously doubt that WNW will have much fun issuing proceedings in China for breach of IP/copyright! Some of the world's biggest car makers have tried that and got nowhere !

TT

I am sure WNW know that and its not the Chinese folks they are going to go for but any Distributor/Model Seller outside China.

So for the moment I would not touch this model with a barge pole, until it is sorted out.

If we did get a Cease and Desist letter we would then take legal advise, and any sellers who have received such a letter and does not take basic legal advise is a fool.

We did not get such a letter as we did not try to sell this model after been turned down by our Euro Supplier ( nothing like dodging a bullet )

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED
  • Like 2

If WNW proceed then it smacks of 'Biting the hand that feeds' - and who has been loyal to him over the last 12 years if its Sir P who is pulling the strings! If the debts are of this magnitude then you would consider WNW to be insolvent and could be forcibly wound up? Maybe the law in NZ is different? But that could go on for years and be the vilest form of sour grapes. A lot of people who respected and supported Sir P may change their opinion.

21 minutes ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

I am sure WNW know that and its not the Chinese folks they are going to go for but any Distributor/Model Seller outside China.

So for the moment I would not touch this model with a barge pole, until it is sorted out.

If we did get a Cease and Desist letter we would then take legal advise, and any sellers who have received such a letter and does not take basic legal advise is a fool.

We did not get such a letter as we did not try to sell this model after been turned down by our Euro Supplier ( nothing like dodging a bullet )

I'd like to see on what basis they issue against distributors based on a non-determined contractual dispute in a separate jurisdication! :D

TT

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

If WNW proceed then it smacks of 'Biting the hand that feeds' - and who has been loyal to him over the last 12 years if its Sir P who is pulling the strings! If the debts are of this magnitude then you would consider WNW to be insolvent and could be forcibly wound up? Maybe the law in NZ is different? But that could go on for years and be the vilest form of sour grapes. A lot of people who respected and supported Sir P may change their opinion.

There was never any question of Wingnut Wings being insolvent and the company is very much still active (Google it). What happened is that the company took the decision to close the model making part of its business, which was not a core part of the Wingnut Wings company portfolio. Had Wingnut Wings been insolvent then Administrators would have been appointed to either try to salvage the company to be sold on or to sell off the assets to pay creditors. 

We can only speculate on the reasons why Wingnut Wings have asked their Lawyers to issue cease and desist letters to Border Models and their Distributors but they obviously feel they have some sort of case. The bottom line is that I will not be even considering parting with my money to stock these kits until it is very clear that they will actually appear and that I will not be getting chased by Lawyers from the US for doing so.

Duncan B

It's probably better for all sides in this stuggle to keep their own counsel to avoid adding grist to the mill of the opposing side.  It's also best that all the disinterested parties (aka the members and vendors) keep their gobs shut to avoid being dragged into the fracas.  No-one wants sueage. :fraidnot:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's probably better for all sides in this stuggle to keep their own counsel to avoid adding grist to the mill of the opposing side.  It's also best that all the disinterested parties (aka the members and vendors) keep their gobs shut to avoid being dragged into the fracas.  No-one wants sueage. :fraidnot:

I think that is sound advice. One thing I'd add is that folk should be aware there are issues before splashing out a large deal of money. It might be best to hold off for a wee while to see if this all blows over before splashing £600.

Duncan B

• Like 1