1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

27 minutes ago, nicholas mayhew said:

or not...

UK sellers seem to have moved back up to £595 (MJR), £599 (Jadlam), £620 (e-Models), although i appreciate the situation is somewhat fluid

Modelbau Koenig in Germany are Eur599 with free shipping btw, which includes VAT and works out at £510-520.

Does that include VAT then? And free shipping to? That is very good if true! I used MBK last year when they had a 'new' stock of Wingnut kits and they were very good. I am tempted to be sure!! Note that they are talking about availability in March next year

2 hours ago, nicholas mayhew said:

or not...

UK sellers seem to have moved back up to £595 (MJR), £599 (Jadlam), £620 (e-Models), although i appreciate the situation is somewhat fluid

Modelbau Koenig in Germany are Eur599 with free shipping btw, which includes VAT and works out at 

That depends on who's collecting the VAT and I'd be surprised if it's the model shop. If it's DHL there will also be a cost for them to collect it, £11 minimum charge. VAT is cheaper in Germany too, only 19%, so a slight increase for that too. Still cheap though, if you call over £500 for a kit cheap!

Edited by Richard123
Correct my English.

Here is the USA there's a shop, Andy's Hobby HQ, taking pre-orders with a $50 deposit and the rest, $549.99, is due in February when the BIG kit is due to arrive. The shop is in Arizona. I'm in California so I won't get charged any California sales tax, or Arizona tax, because I don't live there. I imagine that shipping will run about $40 -$50.  Out the door price would be about $649.99. 

Lucky Model is taking pre-orders. Their price is $599.99 plus $118.19 for shipping = $718.18!

I have a month to decide if I want to finance this! :elephant: :yikes::hypnotised:

40 minutes ago, Masinissa said:

Here is the USA there's a shop, Andy's Hobby HQ, taking pre-orders with a $50 deposit and the rest, $549.99, is due in February when the BIG kit is due to arrive. The shop is in Arizona. I'm in California so I won't get charged any California sales tax, or Arizona tax, because I don't live there. I imagine that shipping will run about $40 -$50.  Out the door price would be about $649.99. 

Lucky Model is taking pre-orders. Their price is $599.99 plus $118.19 for shipping = $718.18!

I have a month to decide if I want to finance this! :elephant: :yikes::hypnotised:

If I remember rightly Andy’s teamed up with MKB in Germany last year with what must have been the last order sent by Wingnut so I’m not surprised that they have an offer now. I thought imports of kits to the USA were duty free, being classified as toys?

I think the penny has dropped with quite a few UK sellers as the trade price is almost double that of the HKM version 3 in 1 kit, and if they sold it at £558 or there is one out there at £540 after their discount code, are basically making not a lot.

Based on what is the UK trade price the actual UK retail if they worked with normal Kit Margins would be £719.99 compared to the UK RRP for the HKM at £399.99.

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

I've just had a look at the Which guide to online shopping and it says this:-

If your order is over £135 you have crossed the threshold of where extra customs, VAT and delivery costs can start to kick in.

New VAT rules are one of the main sources of confusion for online shoppers now that we’ve left the EU. As a member of the bloc, the price at the checkout would be the final sum you would have to pay. Now though, you may have to cough up extra fees on orders worth over £135. Some consumers have been caught out by these unexpected fees.

Some of the fees you can expect to pay are:

Customs and import duties

Custom duties are a fee placed on gifts or goods sent to the UK from outside the EU. This only becomes payable if your order is over £135. The courier will pay this to HMRC on your behalf but you will likely have to pay this back when receiving your purchase.

The fee can range from 0 - 25% depending on the goods you’ve bought. For example a pair of trainers has a duty of 16% applied when brought into the UK. The rules for customs duties and the amount applied vary depending on the item, and finding out how much tariffs arecan be time consuming.

Customs charges should not be applied to products of EU origin, due to the ‘rules of origin’ agreement between the UK and the EU. This means that orders are customs duty exempt if products have been largely produced and manufactured in the EU. 

If you’re unsure, it’s a good idea to ask the retailer if the items you are ordering might attract any customs duties before you buy.

If you are hit with a customs duty that you think you shouldn’t have to pay, you can ask the retailer to send you an ‘origin declaration’ which sets out the proof of origin of the goods you’ve bought so you can prove that your order was made and manufactured in the EU.

Orders are customs duty exempt if products have been largely produced and manufactured in the EU.

Import VAT

Import VAT is a fee currently paid on goods sent to the UK from abroad, but instead of the normal VAT you would pay at the checkout for your items, you’ll pay ‘import VAT’ on the total cost of the item and shipping and handling costs accrued when the courier brings the purchase to the UK. The usual UK Import VAT rate is 20%. 

As these charges are added up after purchase, the total cost of ordering your items will start to increase and could leave you with unexpected fees on items you’ve bought online.

Courier 'handling fees'

The new rules have also hit delivery firms and couriers have now brought in ‘handling fees’ which are used to cover the extra admin costs they’re having to deal with when taking items through customs. These fees vary depending on which delivery service you use.

DHL Express

DHL Express says it is charging UK customers 2.5% of the amount paid to clear customs, with a minimum charge of £11.

DHL Express is yet to confirm with Which? how it collects its payments.

DPD

A £5 'Customers Clearance Fee' is applied to parcels incurring import duty and tax payment transactions, to cover DPD’s additional processing costs.

Recipients are notified by email or text, with a web link to pay by card or PayPal. Payment must be made online before delivery is attempted.

Hermes

Hermes UK has not introduced additional costs directly for this model. Inbound parcels from the EU entering the Hermes UK network have the duty/tax costs cleared ahead of arrival. Hermes UK does not ask customers to pay additional import or delivery charges.

Any import costs are controlled by the retailers and depends on the terms of sale. Hermes UK does not take payment from customers for delivery or customs charges.

Royal Mail

For gifts over £39 and goods over £135, Royal Mail may collect the VAT and customs duties on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) from the recipient prior to delivery. Royal Mail charges an £8 handling fee to do so.

You’ll be sent a 'Fee to pay' card, which shows how much need to pay before you can receive your item. The easiest way to pay a fee is online. You have 21 days from the date on the ‘Fee to pay’ card to clear the charges. If you miss this deadline the item will be returned to the sender. If you’re paying online, you need to pay within 19 days of the date. Once paid, your item will be delivered or you can collect the item in person.

UPS

Due to the increased transportation, customs and brokerage, and network adjustment costs associated with goods movements in and out of the UK, brokerage fees are now applicable. You can find more info on these charges in UPS' country specific Tariff Guides and its Brexit guide.

UPS will try to phone in advance. If it can’t get through or doesn’t have contact info, it’ll ask you to pay in cash upon delivery. If you don’t have cash, it’ll ask you to pay over the phone and will redeliver the next day.

Putting it all together  a £150 pair of trainers will incur a 16% customs duty (£24), an additional 20% ‘import VAT’ set at the UK rate (£30, tallying £54) but say your order is delivered by Royal Mail who slap an £8 ‘handling fee’ on top of that, the delivery fee for the trainers will total £62. The total cost you might have to pay will become £212.

I hope Which don't object to this information being used here but it strikes me that buying this kit (or any other exceeding £135 in value) outside the UK brings a serious risk of getting hit by the above fees. I have asked MBK if they are dealing with UK VAT payments and so far they have not replied so I suspect not but then there are Customs and Import Duties and I think MKB use DHL so their 'cut' as well! Much as I would like to buy the kit from MBK for around £520, I think that I will hang on to my Hannants pre-order and pay £558 and so pay an extra £38 above the MBK price but then avoid paying maybe £100 on top (thats not calculated, just a guesstimate) if HMRC make the dreaded charge. I suppose we have to blame Brexit but we are where we are!

MBK have cancelled all UK trade order for this model (New post EU trade exclusivity)  but buying retail for your personal use if a different matter difficult to enforce,

As previous poster states if you can buy from the UK from£550.00 ish its pointless buying this huge kit from overseas.

If you do buy from overseas here some free info from me from me, (Get your overseas supplier to use the HF Traiff code of 9503003500 this is Scale Models that cannot be disassembled after assembly) this is zero rated for kits.  You still have to pay UK Vat at 20% but no import duty.  

If you do get clobbered for import duty of about 5% if due to the fact your supplier as used 9503003000 which is plastic construction toys that can be disassembled after assembly I.E Lego  

Us trade cannot hide.

47 minutes ago, ocatlub said:

A seller on Ebay has them for sale now for £620 +£10 shipping no indication of preorder. Deliver by 26/10

£620 is the RRP that Albion Alloys have confirmed. You are better off putting in a pre order to Hannants as they’ll give you 10% off that plus free shipping I imagine. £630 posted is probably the worst case price but it won’t be available in the U.K. until early March at best so that’s 4 months plus!! Unless they’re going to grow them on a tree on the back garden then 26/10 is a crazy suggestion! Border are talking about a December release so this sounds like a scam!!

1 hour ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

If you do buy from overseas here some free info from me from me, (Get your overseas supplier to use the HF Traiff code of 9503003500 this is Scale Models that cannot be disassembled after assembly) this is zero rated for kits.  You still have to pay UK Vat at 20% but no import duty.  

If you do get clobbered for import duty of about 5% if due to the fact your supplier as used 9503003000 which is plastic construction toys that can be disassembled after assembly I.E Lego  

Thanks for the tip but I think that you've got the duty on the Hs Codes the wrong way round; 9503003500 is subject to duty @ 4%

whilst 9503003000 is @ 0%.

I'm not clear however which code should apply to a scale model kit made from plastic.

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9503003500

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9503003000

17 hours ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

(Get your overseas supplier to use the HF Traiff code of 9503003500 this is Scale Models that cannot be disassembled after assembly)

That would  then leave you liable to HMRC for duty if you left the wings removable for transport and storage! :evil_laugh:

18 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I've just had a look at the Which guide to online shopping and it says this:-

If your order is over £135 you have crossed the threshold of where extra customs, VAT and delivery costs can start to kick in.

New VAT rules are one of the main sources of confusion for online shoppers now that we’ve left the EU. As a member of the bloc, the price at the checkout would be the final sum you would have to pay. Now though, you may have to cough up extra fees on orders worth over £135. Some consumers have been caught out by these unexpected fees.

Some of the fees you can expect to pay are:

Customs and import duties

Custom duties are a fee placed on gifts or goods sent to the UK from outside the EU. This only becomes payable if your order is over £135. The courier will pay this to HMRC on your behalf but you will likely have to pay this back when receiving your purchase.

The fee can range from 0 - 25% depending on the goods you’ve bought. For example a pair of trainers has a duty of 16% applied when brought into the UK. The rules for customs duties and the amount applied vary depending on the item, and finding out how much tariffs arecan be time consuming.

Customs charges should not be applied to products of EU origin, due to the ‘rules of origin’ agreement between the UK and the EU. This means that orders are customs duty exempt if products have been largely produced and manufactured in the EU. 

If you’re unsure, it’s a good idea to ask the retailer if the items you are ordering might attract any customs duties before you buy.

If you are hit with a customs duty that you think you shouldn’t have to pay, you can ask the retailer to send you an ‘origin declaration’ which sets out the proof of origin of the goods you’ve bought so you can prove that your order was made and manufactured in the EU.

Orders are customs duty exempt if products have been largely produced and manufactured in the EU.

Import VAT

Import VAT is a fee currently paid on goods sent to the UK from abroad, but instead of the normal VAT you would pay at the checkout for your items, you’ll pay ‘import VAT’ on the total cost of the item and shipping and handling costs accrued when the courier brings the purchase to the UK. The usual UK Import VAT rate is 20%. 

As these charges are added up after purchase, the total cost of ordering your items will start to increase and could leave you with unexpected fees on items you’ve bought online.

Courier 'handling fees'

The new rules have also hit delivery firms and couriers have now brought in ‘handling fees’ which are used to cover the extra admin costs they’re having to deal with when taking items through customs. These fees vary depending on which delivery service you use.

DHL Express

DHL Express says it is charging UK customers 2.5% of the amount paid to clear customs, with a minimum charge of £11.

DHL Express is yet to confirm with Which? how it collects its payments.

DPD

A £5 'Customers Clearance Fee' is applied to parcels incurring import duty and tax payment transactions, to cover DPD’s additional processing costs.

Recipients are notified by email or text, with a web link to pay by card or PayPal. Payment must be made online before delivery is attempted.

Hermes

Hermes UK has not introduced additional costs directly for this model. Inbound parcels from the EU entering the Hermes UK network have the duty/tax costs cleared ahead of arrival. Hermes UK does not ask customers to pay additional import or delivery charges.

Any import costs are controlled by the retailers and depends on the terms of sale. Hermes UK does not take payment from customers for delivery or customs charges.

Royal Mail

For gifts over £39 and goods over £135, Royal Mail may collect the VAT and customs duties on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) from the recipient prior to delivery. Royal Mail charges an £8 handling fee to do so.

You’ll be sent a 'Fee to pay' card, which shows how much need to pay before you can receive your item. The easiest way to pay a fee is online. You have 21 days from the date on the ‘Fee to pay’ card to clear the charges. If you miss this deadline the item will be returned to the sender. If you’re paying online, you need to pay within 19 days of the date. Once paid, your item will be delivered or you can collect the item in person.

UPS

Due to the increased transportation, customs and brokerage, and network adjustment costs associated with goods movements in and out of the UK, brokerage fees are now applicable. You can find more info on these charges in UPS' country specific Tariff Guides and its Brexit guide.

UPS will try to phone in advance. If it can’t get through or doesn’t have contact info, it’ll ask you to pay in cash upon delivery. If you don’t have cash, it’ll ask you to pay over the phone and will redeliver the next day.

Putting it all together  a £150 pair of trainers will incur a 16% customs duty (£24), an additional 20% ‘import VAT’ set at the UK rate (£30, tallying £54) but say your order is delivered by Royal Mail who slap an £8 ‘handling fee’ on top of that, the delivery fee for the trainers will total £62. The total cost you might have to pay will become £212.

I hope Which don't object to this information being used here but it strikes me that buying this kit (or any other exceeding £135 in value) outside the UK brings a serious risk of getting hit by the above fees. I have asked MBK if they are dealing with UK VAT payments and so far they have not replied so I suspect not but then there are Customs and Import Duties and I think MKB use DHL so their 'cut' as well! Much as I would like to buy the kit from MBK for around £520, I think that I will hang on to my Hannants pre-order and pay £558 and so pay an extra £38 above the MBK price but then avoid paying maybe £100 on top (thats not calculated, just a guesstimate) if HMRC make the dreaded charge. I suppose we have to blame Brexit but we are where we are!

As I understand it this means for all items below £135 the seller has to charge the UK VAT which means the have to register with HMRC. That's why a number of European dealers refuse to sell into the UK. If it's over £135 they can sell it without charging VAT. This means they don't charge any VAT and it's up to the recipient to pay it. That means if you buy it from Europe you will be charged the tax free price, the carrier then usually pays the relevant duty and VAT and an extra charge for collecting the money. I did this last year with a small shop in Germany as it was the only way to get their products. It still means the MBK price is competitive despite the messing around. As Tiger Hobnies said, get them to use the correct import code and you wont get charged import duty, just the VAT. Hope this helps.

10 minutes ago, Richard123 said:

As Tiger Hobnies said, get them to use the correct import code and you wont get charged import duty, just the VAT. Hope this helps.

But what IS the correct Hs Code for a scale model kit made from plastic?

The HMRC site which I gave links to a couple of posts above is either ambiguous, 

or I just can't get my head around it 😕.

52 minutes ago, elderly said:

But what IS the correct Hs Code for a scale model kit made from plastic?

The HMRC site which I gave links to a couple of posts above is either ambiguous, 

or I just can't get my head around it 😕.

I'd use 9503003000 for "reduced-size (scale) model assembly kits". You can't say it's not one of those, I'm no expert though, and it's subject to zero import tax. You'd probably have to get the seller involved though to make sure they use it.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:16 PM, Masinissa said:

If you go with the surface post option at Lucky - it's only $20 - and use the discount code OCT15, to get 15% off, the total is $529.99

Edited by Kagemusha
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard123 said:

I'd use 9503003000 for "reduced-size (scale) model assembly kits". You can't say it's not one of those, I'm no expert though, and it's subject to zero import tax. 

That's you way I would read it too BUT, it could be interpreted as only applying to electric trains ??????

"Electric trains, including tracks, signals and other accessories therefor; reduced-size (scale) model assembly kits."

Sorry my mistake, but the correct one for our models is found under the general heading of Electric trains and then sub heading of scale models, the other one is for plastic construction toys.

So 9503003500 is plastic toys i.e Lego type of thing  9503003000 is our code found under the general heading,

We have a claim going in for a few bob to claim back over paid Duty as it was noticed that some imports were coming in under 9503003500 and some under 9503003000

As stated by other posters it is sometimes clear as mud, as many of these tariff go back when kids played on little bikes and scooters made of rusty metal,

For Diecast is slightly clearer  at 9503008500 Scale Miniature Model of metal which is subject to Duty.

Life’s so short, but thankfully there are companies and people out there risking and making the extraordinary possible (usually from passion), and this is extraordinary, i respect those of you who get it, we’re very lucky and should enjoy that this is actually happening. Cheaper than a mass produced iphone too (if i can figure out the economics above) 🙃

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, elderly said:

That's you way I would read it too BUT, it could be interpreted as only applying to electric trains ??????

"Electric trains, including tracks, signals and other accessories therefor; reduced-size (scale) model assembly kits."

I see what you mean but I don't think so, the semicolon splits the two phrases so I believe it means electric trains etc. and scale models. I reckon a Hornby Flying Scotsman and an Airfix Vulcan are covered by the same code. But that's just my interpretation. I think I might have a go with MBK they quoted me €467 which works out about £410 add on £82 for VAT and £11 for the privilege of the courier to collect means I should get one for a little over £500.

Edited by Richard123

I see Hannants are off the fence at £ 558 on pre order ! . ( I`m tempted ) .

Don .

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

Don .

Good - this is what I expected. 4 months to arrange the heist!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Don149 said:

Don .

Where I live, that works out to almost $1000. Now I don't feel so bad about spending that much, just this morning, on a new set of all-weather tires for the Libbie before winter sets in.

John