1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Perhaps they could knock up a nice 1/144th version and include it in every boxing. Then you can build this before you commit the rest of the kit to the depths of the stash and you'll have something that actually fits on the shelf!

Well, a 1/72 will do as well as 1/48. But 1/32 is too big! 

52 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

For those who commented on the box art it’s by Mark Poselthwaite- a print can be yours for £50 🙂👍

https://www.posart.com/shop/veterans

TT

Thats a much better deal. 😄

Edited by stalal

18 hours ago, stalal said:

....   A 1/32 Lancaster although it sounds great but I wonder how many of us could it buy it, build it and then display it. It will not need shelf space. It will need a room to display. ....

Ahhhhh !

That's where ship modellers have the advantage, their kits will fit on shelves easily.

😋   😋   😋

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bear Paw said:

It could like some one has mentioned previously be hung on a wall? 

At that price I'd want it in a glass cabinet for protection and to keep the dust at bay 😁

And just a thought the flippen case would cost the same as the kit 🙄

• Like 1

I asked them about releasing a nose section and the reply was

If there is not enough order quantity, we will not release it.

I think they mean if the orders for the full kit are not enough? Lost in translation a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

At that price I'd want it in a glass cabinet for protection and to keep the dust at bay 😁

And just a thought the flippen case would cost the same as the kit 🙄

I've been thinking about a floor standing glass cabinet for a year or 2 now - 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep and about 6 foot high. All for 1/32 kit storage including Lanc, B-17, B-24 etc. That would cost around £1,000 which is pretty horrifying but a £700 Lancaster suddenly makes it sound not so expensive! But you have to have a piece of floor 3' by 2' to locate it on and thats surprisingly hard to find, for me at least! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Julien said:

I think they mean if the orders for the full kit are not enough? Lost in translation a little.

I can't see that happening at all. Take no notice of all the whinging about the price, i'd like to bet half of those people doing that would have had no intention of purchasing the kit anyway. 

You get this with any scale that's released, even pocket money 1/72 ones!

34 minutes ago, Julien said:

It was certainly an idea put to Richard Alexander but as you say, Border are going to be guided by sales. Equally, we don't want them to wear out the fuselage mould by popping just nose sections from it although HKM obviously have a separate mould for theirs. Maybe everyone should buy the HKM 'Nose art' kit first as a 'try out' for a Border-Nut Lanc?

9 hours ago, Julien said:

OK Folks, last warning on the off topic comments or the thread gets closed.

I think you’re wrong Julien, this is all related to the forthcoming Lancaster kit and it’s a lively discussion so I don’t see any problem with that.  ...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tank152 said:

You'd be forgiven for thinking this one is a foot bigger than the HKM kit with all the going on about it's size! 

Apparently it's under 30cm wide sitting on its undercarriage with the outer wings removed.

It's still 66cm long though.

Just like a lot of shelves. 

We and others were going to get this model from a European Supplier, but recently we were told that since leaving the EU, that supplier as no right to sell to UK trade customers. or even retail customer if push came to shove.

(Territorial exclusive agreements now back in force) these were basically illegal while we were in the EU.

Hence the Lancaster by Border models was cancelled to UK traders from their EU supplier, (Expect this to happen across all Hobby Brands in future) we were not the only ones and before 31 Jan 2021, there was nothing wrong or illegal with the practice of buying from which ever supplier you wanted as long as they were in the EU.

If we had got this model then based on what we were buying it at the retail would have been close to £699.99 including all UK Taxes and Duty and delivery) and it would have been up to the retailer to what discount they offered, hence some were on or about £600.00

This was our retail not the RRP to be set by the UK Distributor, they are free to set the RRP at what ever they want.

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED
  • Like 1

Do they pitch the U.K. rrp based on anticipated sales? I suppose they know how many they have in order - maybe 50 say? So they probably think they can get away with a U.K. price not an EU one? 

A small part of it yes, but not the major part.  Most importers set the RRP based on the FOB or Ex Work price from the Manufactures, plus exchange rate, plus shipping rate plus import duties and finally your profit margin.

If this had been our import, the first thing I would have asked is not the price, but how big is it and how much does it weigh, this would help me work out the Cubic Capacity within our logistic system.

On this model we would have purchased may be 250 ( based on previous imports of more expensive models)

Then I would have hedged my USD to cover the basic cost of 250 Lancaster's if we sold more than 250 the fluctuations in the currency would have not been a bigger issue with a few extra sales as the lions share would have been covered.

From the FOB Cost, USD Cost and shipping cost, I would have given our trade customers a RRP within 72 hours of me finding out the price.

We sold 24 of these Lancaster's within one day to may be 4 out of our 200 or so plastic kit trade customers, before we cancelled them

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

On 10/7/2021 at 10:24 AM, Julien said:

Hmm, not the clearest of responses, but yes I agree with your interpretation.

tbh I'd have thought a cockpit & nose turret kit would be a much bigger seller than the full aircraft on the basis of size of the completed model and cost.

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

tbh I'd have thought a cockpit & nose turret kit would be a much bigger seller than the full aircraft on the basis of size of the completed model and cost.

Have to agree totally. 

But it would be nice if this started a trend and nose sections were a new craze. Certainly in this scale for the bombers.

Just a thought and hopefully not to far off topic.

Dick

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, keithjs said:

Jadlam and Emodels now both doing a pre order price of £558…Wonder where that came from?

I heard it through the grapevine that the Albion RRP is £620 so 10% pre-order discount equals £558. I’m waiting for Hannants to confirm the same but they seem slightly reluctant. Note that I believe both eModels and Jadlam require payment up front whereas Hannants will invoice when in stock if you’ve preordered with them. So does that mean that Hannants are not 100% sure about this £620 RRP so don’t want to commit in case it’s wrong? MBK in Germany don’t t expect to have it until March so that’s 5 months in which anything might happen. And, if the RRP went up, would eModels and Jadlam honour the preorder or would they refund the money? 
Let’s hope £620 is correct and Hannants get off the fence soon. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I heard it through the grapevine that the Albion RRP is £620 so 10% pre-order discount equals £558. I’m waiting for Hannants to confirm the same but they seem slightly reluctant. Note that I believe both eModels and Jadlam require payment up front whereas Hannants will invoice when in stock if you’ve preordered with them. So does that mean that Hannants are not 100% sure about this £620 RRP so don’t want to commit in case it’s wrong? MBK in Germany don’t t expect to have it until March so that’s 5 months in which anything might happen. And, if the RRP went up, would eModels and Jadlam honour the preorder or would they refund the money? 
Let’s hope £620 is correct and Hannants get off the fence soon. 

Thanks, that makes sense. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

After Vat is removed to the actual price those quoting £558.00 will be £465.00 (£465.00 plus 20% vat is £558.00) still it will hack off those who have ordered from Overseas trying for a saving.

or not...

UK sellers seem to have moved back up to £595 (MJR), £599 (Jadlam), £620 (e-Models), although i appreciate the situation is somewhat fluid

Modelbau Koenig in Germany are Eur599 with free shipping btw, which includes VAT and works out at £510-520.