1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

Pre-ordered on Hannants site. 

I may live to regret this.... 

But if not now, when? 

The HK Models cockpit I have will be finished as the B1 Special that we are making ay Boscombe Down, with no front turret and in day time colours. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Pre-ordered on Hannants site. 

I may live to regret this.... 

But if not now, when? 

Better to regret something you've done than not done.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, drake122 said:

My local hobby shop has this on preorder for 560 euros, but there is no way any bag of plastic is worth that much money 🤦‍♂️

Things are worth what customers are willing to pay. I'm able to afford it, I understand that there will be many who simply can't spend that much on a kit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drake122 said:

My local hobby shop has this on preorder for 560 euros, but there is no way any bag of plastic is worth that much money 🤦‍♂️

Lucky has it for $975 Canadian shipped to my house. I can afford it, I put aside the amount it was previously announced as ($500), but I’m not paying that. I hope the price is wrong. It is much higher than Wing Nut Wings was marketing it for.

Hmm mm…. :hmmm:  I’m pretty well off but that’s a fair chunk of cash for any model. Ok I will probably bite but I can see a rationalisation of the stash and an offload of circa 400 gbp of 1/32 models with aftermarket for projects I doubt I will find time to do. So some grown up decisions to be made. I really just hope that when this uber model arrives the only aftermarket that anyone could conceivably want or need is a change of decals and that everything is 100% accurate with no ifs or buts. It would be nice if it came with Master brass barrels for example. One can but dream. 

A perspective is what else does that money buy in terms of leisure activities?  Costs of - 

weekend away

how many football matches attended

cinema visits with family including pop corn, travel and maybe cheapish meal pizza on the night

Just thoughts

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

It would be nice if it came with Master brass barrels for example. One can but dream. 

It comes with its own set of "high-precision copper metal machine gun barrel x8" - look at the link previously posted in this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=874992886463701&id=339312286698433

No Master ones needed.

John

• Thanks 1

Those who are actually going to buy this are going to find the money anyway and those who will only talk about it wouldn't have found £500 for it either. Any price a state of the art injection moulded 4 engine heavy bomber is offered at is going to be an extravagance which makes no objective sense. It'll be an emotive purchase.

These things are huge and take up an obnoxious amount of space even in large houses so even money aside the market for 1/32 4 engine heavy bombers is very limited. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Border has taken a more conservative view on the number of units it can realistically sell and set the price higher on that basis. Let's also not forget that WNW's pricing was wrong, because they went bust which very simply means they spent more than they earned.

I think it's wonderful, but I admit I'll never buy it. I'd rather spend that time, money and space on other stuff. Speaking purely for myself models are nice but when they get to a size/cost/time investment that rivals a real thing I can actually use and interact with I'd rather do that. I'd rather buy a classic car project than a Pocher car kit. I'd rather build a sailing dinghy than build a 10ft long model ship that just sits there taking up space. YMMV.

• Like 10

Isn't announced price under WnW label around 350$ ? 700$/€ is totaly crazy and it is most expensive kit of all times. Yup , have a nice surface details, but the price tag is crazy. Meng have their WnW Dreidecker for -100% lower as was price tag of fighters under WnW and here is another -opposite - situation. Price tag is more higher. I planned a WnW Lanc and HP 0/400 was my last airplane kits, but with this exclusive price tag - i don't crazy.... it is a still a plastic kit... (and airfix have a pronnounced/ stressed surface on their 1/24) Tiffies & Hellcat and price was a 10% of 699$. This is a probably good times for scalpers when sell it for top notch prices... but not for ordinary collectors/ modellers.

A little sad....

Lanc looks still good, but i probably dont' bought it, despite it is a my dream kit. But 400$/€ is still my limit in my mind... and it was a be in my stash to my death, because a 700$ kit is too expensive for build...  

Maybe a investic plastic ? 

(I am a AFOL & can understand a 700$/€/£ price tag on gigantic LEGO set with thousands parts, but 700$ tag by plastic kit (300-500 parts ? ) is another league around 6000 10 0000brick...)

I'm curious i see a three of this kits really builded... Probably it is a never builded kit. But yup, maybe aspired a Holy Grail of scale modeling, as you bought an Rolls Royce Phantom extended platform or Bugatti Chiron... a real Culinan...in plastic...

• Like 1

For me, this is my magnum opus. This is what I’ve wanted since starting out on my model building journey.  Just before this was released, I got the HK Dambuster and a 1/32 Tamiya Mosquito.  For about the price of this one.  It’s not price gouging - you don’t have to pay it if you don’t want to and there is an alternative (which looks ok too!).  I’m far for comfortable with the price for this than a Lego Falcon (approx twice the price) or Star Destroyer!  Which is competing for the dollars for this one. Yes not everyone can afford/want/care/need it, but that price is fair for what you are getting.  WNW were bloody cheap kits! And they were a passion for its owner more than a business (see his other loves).  Heck, I’ve spent more than this on grog on a weekend away.  I haven’t even got a lot of memories of those nights - here I end up with, perhaps, the best kit ever produced.  Tamiya 1/32 planes are around 230ish where I live - this is a lot more plane and plastic than that.  All my other Lancasters will become training for this one.  Can’t wait 😛 (pretty sure my wallet doesn’t agree, but it’s happening). 

• Like 4

At one time I had a rule of thumb at $10 per engine but those days are a long ways in the past.  It was when I could build a model without glasses.  The price at Lucky Model is not bad and works if you can wait for the slow boat, which has worked for me in the past.  But anyway we may look back at this in 20 years (or maybe only 2 years ) as a great bargain when Tamiya paint will be $50 a bottle and we are all millionaires.

6 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Isn't announced price under WnW label around 350$ ? 700$/€ is totaly crazy and it is most expensive kit of all times. Yup , have a nice surface details, but the price tag is crazy. Meng have their WnW Dreidecker for -100% lower as was price tag of fighters under WnW and here is another -opposite - situation. Price tag is more higher. I planned a WnW Lanc and HP 0/400 was my last airplane kits, but with this exclusive price tag - i don't crazy.... it is a still a plastic kit... (and airfix have a pronnounced/ stressed surface on their 1/24) Tiffies & Hellcat and price was a 10% of 699$. This is a probably good times for scalpers when sell it for top notch prices... but not for ordinary collectors/ modellers.

A little sad....

Lanc looks still good, but i probably dont' bought it, despite it is a my dream kit. But 400$/€ is still my limit in my mind... and it was a be in my stash to my death, because a 700$ kit is too expensive for build...  

Maybe a investic plastic ? 

(I am a AFOL & can understand a 700$/€/£ price tag on gigantic LEGO set with thousands parts, but 700$ tag by plastic kit (300-500 parts ? ) is another league around 6000 10 0000brick...)

I'm curious i see a three of this kits really builded... Probably it is a never builded kit. But yup, maybe aspired a Holy Grail of scale modeling, as you bought an Rolls Royce Phantom extended platform or Bugatti Chiron... a real Culinan...in plastic...

Yes, it was originally announced at $350 US by WingNuts.

Interesting psychology about the cost of our little hobby on display here 🤔 Is it really the large amount of money for one purchase that's making people balk? 

This is coming from us, modellers who probably have a stash of permanently unbuilt kits worth thousands of pounds already 🤣

This might be a once in a lifetime opportunity to own the ultimate WW2 aircraft kit. The outlay is probably close to what I've spent on new kits/aftermarket in a year, so it would not be an extravagance if it was the only purchase I made for the next year. Yeah, I'd probably never build it, and if I did I'd have to sell or donate it immediately because there's nowhere to put it.

But heck, what an epic, ultimate build it would be. Can I afford to miss out 🤔

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Yes, it was originally announced at $350 US by WingNuts.

But, as noted above, Wingnuts didn't survive with their pricing strategy.  One might suggest that the much higher prices of their kits circulating on eBay are what the "market" sees as the correct price and WNW underpriced all their models.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, malpaso said:

the much higher prices of their kits circulating on eBay are what the "market" sees as the correct price and WNW underpriced all their models.

Exactly. If this limited-release behemoth retails at £700 initially, that's the lowest price it's ever going to be 😃 1/24 Mosquito, anyone 🤔

The original price I recall was 399 USD and Wingnut prices always came out at the same figure in Sterling so £399. That’s why there was no way I was going to shell out on the HKM kit - which had the same price but I had seen the two kits within 50 feet of each other and the HKM kit looked like an enlarged Tamiya kit but the WNW kit was at another level. 
Bear in mind that WNW did not cease trading due to insolvency. Sir P chose to cease trading and the assets of the company belong to him and his wife. We are all probably familiar with the bigger picture but WNW is not insolvent. 
The price of WNW kits on eBay is just a reflection of limited supply versus perpetual demand. Most now sell for probably twice their original rrp - watch the Fokker D.VII that’s on eBay now. Auction finishing in around 6 hours and only £101 now but I rather doubt it will sell for that eventually!!

PS - the Fokker sold for £150 including postage. Actually I think that’s a bit low but someone will be very happy I should think!!

• Like 3

I have a feeling that over the next few days there will be emails from various UK retailers flying around revising their original prices for those who have pre-ordered. The prices being spread around were being based on a trade price from the EU Distributor. The UK has it's own Border Models Distributor who has exclusive rights to sell in the U.K. and as far as I'm aware (i.e. I haven't had an email from them yet) they have not set a price for the UK. We have yet to see what the U.K. RRP is going to be set at so any other prices stated are speculation based on EU or Far Eastern Prices.

Duncan B

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I have a feeling that over the next few days there will be emails from various UK retailers flying around revising their original prices for those who have pre-ordered. The prices being spread around were being based on a trade price from the EU Distributor. The UK has it's own Border Models Distributor who has exclusive rights to sell in the U.K. and as far as I'm aware (i.e. I haven't had an email from them yet) they have not set a price for the UK. We have yet to see what the U.K. RRP is going to be set at so any other prices stated are speculation based on EU or Far Eastern Prices.

Duncan B

Well said Duncan. Probably better to wait and see - and then moan with full knowledge!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One other thing to add - as I live in the country of the lucky country and have a large house and large sheds I can find somewhere to put these behemoths. I do appreciate how difficult it could be in a flat or small house.  And we don’t all think you’re all whinging poms 🤣 I seriously can’t wait for this. Starting to save again 👍 bring on December!!

13 minutes ago, Cammer625 said:

One other thing to add - as I live in the country of the lucky country and have a large house and large sheds I can find somewhere to put these behemoths. I do appreciate how difficult it could be in a flat or small house.  And we don’t all think you’re all whinging poms 🤣 I seriously can’t wait for this. Starting to save again 👍 bring on December!!

I have 400 1/72 kits to get rid of. Been meaning to do it for ages so it could be a King Kit deal and that might help a Lanc a bit!! But MBK in Germany say March 2022 so I think December might be optimistic for U.K.?

• Like 1

I'm not going to purchase the kit but on the subject of price I would suggest that for the cost of the kit you should measure it against how much time and enjoyment you're going to get out of building it and doing the moulding justice . It's not going to be built quickly unless you've got the time to spend all day every day on it. If you build it over nights/weekends it's realistically going to take a good few months so if you measure the cost against that it's not going to be that excessive. 

• Like 8