1/32 - Avro Lancaster B.Mk.I/III by Border Model (ex-Wingnut Wings) - released

Homebee

2 hours ago, rowmk9 said:

As beautiful as this model is, I can't help but feel it's an expensive waste of plastic to all but a handful of people. Who has space to display a 1/32 Lancaster? I suspect 90% of the models sold will sit in stashes and then eventually get shifted around as collector's pieces. I mean if that's what you like...you do you I guess, but for me, this model doesn't make sense. 

How many do you think they are going to sell?  My guess is the production run is going to be less than 5,000 kits but more than 1,000. At £600 per kit, that’s total sales in the range of £600,000 to £3,000,000, of which maybe half will actually go back to the manufacturer. If I remember correctly, £3million is of the same order as total Airfix plastic kit sales.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Don149 said:

It`s now on Hannant`s future releases .

Order placed - if I chicken out then you have 10 days to change your mind when Hannants say they have it in stock. But release due around March - according to MBK - so almost 6 months to arrange a bank heist!!

16 hours ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

The UK RRP as not yet been released, one of the UK seller who does quite good discount normally is still out at £600ish 

Yesterday I made a guess at what the UK RRP would be and came up with £549 or thereabouts but seeing that I'm not so confident now!!

Duncan B

16 hours ago, rowmk9 said:

As beautiful as this model [sic] is, I can't help but feel it's an expensive waste of plastic to all but a handful of people. Who has space to display a 1/32 Lancaster? I suspect 90% of the models [sic] sold will sit in stashes and then eventually get shifted around as collector's pieces. I mean if that's what you like...you do you I guess, but for me, this model [sic] doesn't make sense. 

It's a kit. I don't really understand why we're questioning the sense of manufacturer making this or that kit. If you want one, buy it; if not then don't. I doubt I shall buy one but I love the fact that kits like this are out there. And you can guarantee it won't be a waste of plastic; anyone who owns one of these kits will cherish it! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jenko said:

I'm in a quandy ......... which is cheaper. ...... this  kit or a divorce ????

Don't you end up paying for both in this scenario 🤔

16 hours ago, rowmk9 said:

I suspect 90% of the models sold will sit in stashes and then eventually get shifted around as collector's pieces.

I suspect 90% of all model kits end up like this. I guess no model kit really makes sense if the ratio of built:bought is the metric you use 😂 Certainly means nothing to the manufacturer, so they might as well knock themselves out 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

After visiting the BBMF Lancaster and Just Jayne at East Kirby and watching the evolution of our 1:1 B1 special I have to do this. Between now and its release I will clear my WIP, cull my stash and start the model as I turn 70. 

I have a load of things I purchased for my HKM Lancaster, until I realised just how many errors needed correcting. 

• Like 4

I would love one, but there's no way i could justify spending that much. I would be too afraid to build it in case i cocked it up, so it would just sit in my stash (alongside my Wingnut kits 🙄😂) and that would be a waste - After all, kits are made for being built aren't they? 

For anyone who does get one though, and builds it, you are my hero. What a kit!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Where did that price come from.?

Good question, though I've seen people on FB saying £699 but I don't know who's showing it at that price. Too big for me anyway, but I might be interested if they are doing the nose only.

5 minutes ago, keithjs said:

“Price is to be confirmed  and subject to change”

Obviously people don't read that far, and so the rumours start!!!

As always, read the small print.🙂

52 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Where did that price come from.?

model kits for less on facebook has a sales post and rrp is stated at £699.99 plus other outlets are qouting the same price,plus the link above from homebee in the comments section that price is mentioned aswell.maybe i'm wrong but it doesn't look like it's going to be a cheap kit.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, keithjs said:

“Price is to be confirmed  and subject to change”

So it may be even higher.  I believe the distributor for Border Models in the UK is Albion Alloys, and from what I've heard, 700 quid is about the RRP they've set - taking into account all taxes, import duties and transportation costs for this limited edition. 

Leaving aside the fact I don't have the space for it, at 1/32 and with the amount of detail shown so far, not surprised at the amount of moolah involved. 
Ok, you could knock off 10-15% if you discard the recent price hike for other manufacturers, but even at pre-Covid, pre-tax reform times, this would not have been a 300 quid kit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

So it may be even higher.  I believe the distributor for Border Models in the UK is Albion Alloys, and from what I've heard, 700 quid is about the RRP they've set - taking into account all taxes, import duties and transportation costs for this limited edition. 

Leaving aside the fact I don't have the space for it, at 1/32 and with the amount of detail shown so far, not surprised at the amount of moolah involved. 
Ok, you could knock off 10-15% if you discard the recent price hike for other manufacturers, but even at pre-Covid, pre-tax reform times, this would not have been a 300 quid kit. 

If it was, say, £100 more than the HKM kit then that would be reasonable and could. E anticipated but not virtually twice the price. But, at the end of the day it will find it’s market price. I don’t know how much profit retailers make on a kit sale or what the wholesale price is but some expensive kits seem to end up being heavily discounted eventually because the retailer needs the turnover. Only time will tell. 

7 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Fair point (Thank you!) It may relate to the MBK price of 600 euros, then plus 20% vat gets you to £700

The MBK price of €599 includes VAT and above a certain price point shipping was free when I last bought from them.

11 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

That’s interesting, thank you for clarifying. 

If you type in the code NMB10 at Premium Hobbies you get a discount of 10% so that would knock £60 off the shown price.

I'd also like to think you'd get free P&P shelling out that kind of money as well