1:48 Tamiya Mk1 Supermarine Spitfire

Gadget2012

Deep breath, swallow your pride and just post the pictures!!!

So........ Hi everyone! I've been hiding in the shadows admiring the amazing skills on show on this forum and have finally decided to share my partial WiP Mk1 Spitfire.

She started life as a Tamiya Mk1 Supermarine Spitfire, purchased from Duxford in support of The Blenheim Society:

IMG_20180925_211638

Whilst I have carried out some minor additions to the pit, and have painted and weathered it, I forgot to take pictures!! 😤

IMG_20180903_155913IMG_20180903_161353

So she miraculously jumped to this.....

IMG_20180912_140310

the wings fitted nicely without much fuss.

IMG_20180912_165629

This will be the first Spitfire I have built with an open cockpit so a steep learning curve for me!

• Like 6

There were only minor joints that needed sanding (to my untrained eyes anyway!)

IMG_20180912_165638

I pre-shaded panel lines using my el-cheapo airbrush. I'm still learning the finer points of airbrush use, and forgot to take decent pics! 😠

IMG_20180924_221244

IMG_20180923_223405IMG_20180924_221244

I never know if I have left enough pre-shading, or just completely covered with the layers of paint. Here she is after clearcoating the underside. I had already started masking for the upper surfaces.

IMG_20180925_210917

Her first coat of Vallejo Dark Earth, again I'm not sure if I have left enough of the pre-shade showing through.........

IMG_20180925_205530

Compared to some of the models being crafted on here, I have a looooong way to go, but she is so much nicer that the hand painted kits of my youth!

My attempt at adding some detail to the undercarriage legs..... you might notice photography is not one of my strongest skills! 😜

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Tip for the future decalling, if you're going to use the kit's decals, make sure to soak them in hot water.

Thanks for the tip Sturmovic, I am a long way from applying any decals but will take your advice into consideration

• Like 1

I always think the same, but decalling comes really fast, especially for 48 fighters (as long as they aren't Eduard Profipack models). Proof are the photos above. 

You should also pair the Spit with a Bf 109E too in the future.

It has taken me about a month to get this far, I just haven't gathered the courage to post until now! 

I have already completed an FW190d

IMG_20180903_205123

And a Spitfire F Mk22/24

IMG_20180802_185247

She will be followed by a Mossie, Hurricane and P38 Lightning. I'll try and take some more detailed pics of them. I always get too carried away though 🤤

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Less is more I tend to think with pre shading, a panel line wash can bring it out a lot.

Excellent stuff so far, and those other two look great. Really good finish on the MK22/24 especially!

Will be watching with interest! :popcorn:

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Looking good for sure. I had my first go at painting over pre-shade mottling today as well. Worked out well, but I think it needs another light coat. Looks like as it dries the mottling shows through more. 

The other two models look really good as well.

• Thanks 1

Your modelling is really good I especially like your Spitfire 22.  Keep doing what you're doing, it going really well.

To understand if your finish looks right find photographs of the real aeroplane and try to copy it.  Please don't compare your model to other models, otherwise you end up building a model of a model not of the real thing.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Gadget2012 said:

I’m not sure if I have left enough of the pre-shade showing through.........

With weathering Less is more. You can always add. But its real hard to remove.  BTW They all look good to me. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind words! It's always great to get inspiring words from fellow modelers!! :D

So I followed advice and gave the Mk1 another light coat of Dark Earth and allowed that to dry, it did make all the difference. Then I started applying some Dark Green, initially free hand, then I realised that my hands are that steady anymore! 😏

IMG_20180929_103918

IMG_20180929_103929

IMG_20180929_112915

I applied some masking and gave her another coat, a bit cleaner this time I think.......

IMG_20180929_125655IMG_20180929_125704

And as she sits now. I am waiting until daylight tomorrow before applying the clear coat, just in case I'm not happy with the final effect. Really looking forward to applying some weathering! Not the best photo but I'm not sure if that's the bottle of red or dodgy lighting!! 😜

IMG_20180929_205303

• Like 7

So over the past couple of evenings I have gloss coated and added the decals 

IMG_20181002_100317IMG_20181002_100308

Like an eeedjit I forgot that I was building her with the cockpit open so had to temporarily attach the door whilst I added the decals. One they had set I carefully cut around the door and removed it again. 

Here and is with the final gloss coat applied to the upper surfaces, ready for lower then weathering. 

IMG_20181003_080300

Any suggestions for media to add the aerials? I have seen suggestions for stretching thin wire from a vga cable or possibly even thin cotton thread..... 

Edited by Gadget2012
  • Like 6

I decided on using individual wire taken from a Cat 5 network cable, I don't know if it's too thick but it's the first time I have taken this extra step......I'm happy with the results but more than happy for constructive criticism! :thumbsup:

These were taken post weathering and final matt coat, once again I forgot to take photos during the processes.

IMG_20181005_153155IMG_20181005_153022IMG_20181005_153033IMG_20181005_153209

IMG_20181005_153042IMG_20181005_153140IMG_20181005_153115IMG_20181005_153121IMG_20181005_153125

I must admit that I struggled with the wire aerials and might have knocked the cockpit door, aerial and pitot tube (shown in the bottom picture) off on a couple of occasions....I thought I had left it long enough in the build before fitting them, but lessons learned!! :facepalm:

Edited by Gadget2012
  • Like 9

Looks really nice Gadget. I think that your paint job is subtly done. Speaking as anther newbie here, lurking in awe, your admonition to “swallow your pride and post the picture” is excellent advice. I too have struggled with the wires and finally discovered E-Z line, an elastic thread which makes it all much easier. Plus it gives if you accidentally hit it after installing it!

Great work. Thank you for sharing it!

Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sprueloose said:

"E-Z line, an elastic thread which makes it all much easier. Plus it gives if you accidentally hit it after installing it!"

Thanks Terry, I will have to keep my eyes open for that product, the amount of times that I knocked the wire after getting it straight😡:angry:

Great looking model except for the aerial. Get yourself some EZline. Use the fine one on 1/48 and below. I used the heavier one on my He 51 and it looks too heavy. I also had major problems with CA. glue. Most people find it sticks EZline very well. I. Just have a problem with CA. generally. Tried to stick a canopy last night and ended up giving up and used Microclear instead.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. I will defo have a look for EZ line products. 

Thinking about it I have some thin plastic rod, but reckon it might droop to much over a run like that.... Hmmm mm, do I try and retrofit, or leave it as is and take it as a lesson learned.... 

Edited by Gadget2012

Great job all round,I must get some EZ line everyone raves about it I'm a bit of a miser so tend to just stretch sprue,love the fact you've added the

fuselage wire's too I'mnot that brave.Excellent work on the Tamiya classic!

• Thanks 1