Can't believe I've done it again!

Sjd80

we all do it sometime, Just a thought, put the wing upto a strong light and hopefully you will be able to see location holes...………..if 100 watt doesn't work, try the headlights on your car

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sjd80 said:

Thanks for the advice about the light i just gave it a try and think itll be fine. This being only my 2nd build in about 20 odd years that's 100% record doing this since getting back into it. 

Free advice ... When i buy a kit and finally decide what scheme/motif i want. I then go through the kit going step by step opening holes or removing things, not used on that particular subvariant or block of aircraft. That way its already done by the time i build it. 

• Like 1

I feel your pain. I did that with an Academy MiG 21 MF and I ended up posting a plea to the Britmodeller Hive Mind and someone posted a picture of their model which gave a good idea of where to drill the holes.

I’ll never do that again..........🙁

Trevor

A change on a theme, I'm part way through an Airfix 1/48 Bucc (enough said!) and I had all the right holes in place then used so much bl***y fller trying to get the wings looking half right that all the holes have been filled in! Didn't notice until after the undercoat had been sprayed on! No trace of those damn holes!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (insert suitable unprintable words here)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've scratch built stuff , took ages ,blood (sharp tools) sweat (stitches) and tears ( stitches hurt coming out) only to find that the bits I made had already been made for the kit by the kit makers and were rolling around at the bottom of the box. Not on the instructions M'Lud . Mine were better though ! I was only about 10

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The thing about this site is somebody will generally prove you wrong if you put the location holes in the indicated place!!!!  A build I regularly come across is the Sabre, I have a couple in the stash, so keep my eyes on Sabre builds, there are some nice builds on here of the Sabre, but, the builder usually has it brought to their attention that the kit location holes beneath the wing are wrong!  They need to be 2 more mil to the left or 3 mil to the right and to prove it, they usually have the works drawings to show you...………….If memory serves me right, somebody had the rocket firing platform of a Gannet - two or three mm out and this was brought to their attention, so...………….., before you go punching holes make sure you know where the holes are going, or, if your like me, if they look correct, they are correct

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Free advice ... When i buy a kit and finally decide what scheme/motif i want. I then go through the kit going step by step opening holes or removing things, not used on that particular subvariant or block of aircraft. That way its already done by the time i build it. 

Ah! Planning and forethought. If only that came naturally to me. I have to plan to plan out my plans, using plans.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree if it quacks like a 🦆, walks like a 🦆, looks like a 🦆, then its a 🦆!

Or, just possibly, it could be a ferret in a cunning disguise.

Just sayin'.

;)

• Haha 2

I suppose the next thing is that somebody will say that you should read the instructions, rather than putting your mug on them to absorb the drips.

Real modellers never read the instructions but rely on their own abilities to mess things up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4