Vehicle markings for TRE (Telecommunications Research Establishment)

Mancunian airman

I am considering having a small vehicle in attendance with a Mosquito that has been fitted with some 'secret' equipment  designed by the boffins from TRE. Gee & Radar for example.

I would be interested to know if such vehicles existed and if the carried any kind of marking to recognise the fact they came from another GROUP of sorts ???

Was there an RAF Signals Command ??

Initially I would imagine that equipment was fitted on site from the people who invented such equipment and before enough RAF radar mechanics had been trained.

Just random thoughts that a fellow enthusiast/modeller might be able to shed light upon the subject, somebody who is better informed than me  . .. . .

Ian

• Like 1

Is your diorama of a TRE-related base like Defford or a bog-standard airfield with an aircraft used by TRE dropping by?  If the latter, I doubt whether they would have brought their own ground support equipment (valuable fuel expended to no obvious benefit).  Moreover, if you're a sneaky-beaky unit trying to merge quietly into the background, the last thing you want is your own distinctively-marked vehicles: at worst they attract the attention of the curious, at worst they compromise your identity.

There was a Signals Command but it did not form till 3 Nov 1958 out of 90 (Signals) Group, which formed 25 Apr 1946 from 26, 60 and 100 Groups plus 80 Wing.  Of those wartime units only 100 Group (offensive EW) had aircraft and thus, presumably, ground support equipment.

Its for a 'bog standard' airfield.

I was thinking along the lines of initial installation and 'back-up' was required for installation and testing. Gee and H2S radar

A box vehicle that carried either hydraulics or electrics to run the system(s).

I have no doubt that the Austin K2 Instrument type body would have been available a short time later but I am earlier than that stage.

15 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

CMSC and (I think) MMS both produced kits of the Austin K2 instrument workshop.   It seems possible that such a vehicle could have been used, if anything more then a Tilly was required.

I built a conversion of such a K2 vehicle but sadly MMS are no longer producing anything .

Edited by Mancunian airman

I wouldn't have thought that this K2 variant was later than Gee and H2S, but I don't know that.  It was said recently that Barry was still selling off excess stock. I picked up my CMSC example at the recent Salmesbury show but obviously that was just chance.

I'd have thought that installation and work-up would have been done at an MU rather than an operational airfield.