1/700 Flyhawk HMS Hermes D95

Exkiwiforces

Have a couple of questions,

Has anyone here built this model, if so do you have any tips or pit falls I need to watch out for?

Is the colour scheme on the back of the box is correct for 1942?

The other is do with Malcolm Wright’s 3 books, as I have a number of RN and Commonwealth Naval Ships unbuilt atm not including my wife’s Pop’s Ships (RAN WW2 1939 to 1956) and from what I’ve gathered so far since I’ve joined here, his colour plates on HM’s RN and Commonwealth Ships are not worth the paper they are printed on?

If so where can I get an updated version of the correct paint schemes? Or if I’m in doubt have cuppa tea and then crack on.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

Re your questions:

1. I have not built the kit.  

2. I would go with this colour scheme (you have to scroll down to it):   https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes Note the comments re portside hull. Of the four flight deck options given, the first (bronze grey) makes most sense to me.

3. I think most people with knowledge of RN WW2 paints and paint schemes would agree.

4. There are various sources of more accurate information but it does depend on the ships in question. You might find your answer by using the search function of this forum http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/index.php. If you cannot find the answer you can always try asking either here or in the Camouflage and Coatings section there. 

• Thanks 1

I have mostly built the kit (not quite finished it) and it is excellent and highly recommended. One of the best 1/700 kits out there. The painting instructions in the kit are based on Alan Raven's interpretation on how she was painted so you could go with that or with the above mentioned scheme as suggested by Sovereign Hobbies, who have done plenty of research of their own.

thanks

Mike

dickrd there knows a thing or two also, I must add ;)

You may find some coincidence between the forum name and the key contributors credited on the profile :D

Here's a direct link to the file which hopefully will just appear as an image:

HMS_Hermes_1942_Sovereign.png?9083820594

I hope dickrd will agree that we are  fairly comfortable with the colour choices and are confident with the starboard side camouflage noting that our camouflage panels differ on the island, tripod mast and spotting top somewhat from Alan Raven's, Profile Morskie's and Flyhawk's. Whilst not possible to distribute them due to the ownership of them our starboard side is supported by some fairly clear photographs.

As for the port side, we caveated as succinctly as possible to fit on a single page profile, but with the possibility to write more here I would like to point out that our port side of the island differs from others' schemes too and again this is derived from one photograph taken from the flightdeck looking forward obliquely towards the island which clearly shows a complex panel of MS1 up forward that the other profiles all missed. Knowing it was definitely there, our scheme shows our best interpretation of the photograph  that we can make from the less-than-ideal angle it was taken from. We can't claim it's 100% correct, but it's undoubtedly closer to correct than being absent.

Hermes%20Adventure%20by%20Rex%20Morgan.j

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mikemx said:

I have mostly built the kit (not quite finished it) and it is excellent and highly recommended. One of the best 1/700 kits out there. The painting instructions in the kit are based on Alan Raven's interpretation on how she was painted so you could go with that or with the above mentioned scheme as suggested by Sovereign Hobbies, who have done plenty of research of their own.

thanks

Mike

Yes I have to agree on that one, Flyhawk are the bees knees atm, I also have HMS Naiad in a box somewhere and also Peter Hall’s resin kits along with his PE coming in by a neck as well. Was a bite late at trying to get my hands on his Ark Royal, but I moving house and going through Med Discharge from the RAAF at the time.

i hope you can post a few pic’s once you have finished HMS Hermes?

19 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

dickrd there knows a thing or two also, I must add ;)

You may find some coincidence between the forum name and the key contributors credited on the profile :D

Here's a direct link to the file which hopefully will just appear as an image:

HMS_Hermes_1942_Sovereign.png?9083820594

I hope dickrd will agree that we are  fairly comfortable with the colour choices and are confident with the starboard side camouflage noting that our camouflage panels differ on the island, tripod mast and spotting top somewhat from Alan Raven's, Profile Morskie's and Flyhawk's. Whilst not possible to distribute them due to the ownership of them our starboard side is supported by some fairly clear photographs.

As for the port side, we caveated as succinctly as possible to fit on a single page profile, but with the possibility to write more here I would like to point out that our port side of the island differs from others' schemes too and again this is derived from one photograph taken from the flightdeck looking forward obliquely towards the island which clearly shows a complex panel of MS1 up forward that the other profiles all missed. Knowing it was definitely there, our scheme shows our best interpretation of the photograph  that we can make from the less-than-ideal angle it was taken from. We can't claim it's 100% correct, but it's undoubtedly closer to correct than being absent.

Hermes%20Adventure%20by%20Rex%20Morgan.j

Hi Jamie,

i enjoy using your paints and is just as well, as I hate mixing and usually make a hash of it. My supplier down in Sydney thinks I drink the stuff as I usually buy in bulk.  We in the NT are renown for our beer drinking among other things, but drinking paint is not one of them unless you live in the long grass and I’ve a few stories of the long grass.

Anyway  back to tropic, it’s look like Pen and Sword seen me coming IRT Mal’s books. I had another look at your website today when it too hot to work for information and I’m wondering are you looking at doing a similar set of books to Mal Wight’s by any chance? 

One last question, I have the German Naval Camouflage book series, by John Asmussen & Eric Leon. Are both books to your or anyone else’s knowledge accurate?

23 hours ago, dickrd said:

Re your questions:

1. I have not built the kit.  

2. I would go with this colour scheme (you have to scroll down to it):   https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes Note the comments re portside hull. Of the four flight deck options given, the first (bronze grey) makes most sense to me.

3. I think most people with knowledge of RN WW2 paints and paint schemes would agree.

4. There are various sources of more accurate information but it does depend on the ships in question. You might find your answer by using the search function of this forum http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/index.php. If you cannot find the answer you can always try asking either here or in the Camouflage and Coatings section there. 

Thanks, I’ll give Ship Models forum a look once the wet season kicks in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...