RAAF Bristol Beaufort (Special Hobby + Scratch built 1/72)

R.A.A.F. BRISTOL BEAUFORT MK VIII

No. 6 Squadron, Goodenough Island, circa 1943/44

Flight Lieutenant William "Bill" McRae Wood, DFC

(Special Hobby 1/72)

Beaufort_11.jpg

Hi all! Fresh from the oven!

I usually don't build models under commission, but in this case it was a especial request and a favor to a fellow member of my modelling club (SAPMA).

Dudley Hokings is a senior member of the club and due his age he no longer is able to build a model. It doesn't mean he is present in our meetings and he loves a good chat.

Anyway! One day he approached me and asked if Ifould do hem a favor. He was a very close friend with a veteran who used to fly the Beaufort during the world war 2. He has now passed away, but Dudley is still friend with his wife Trish. He said he had a kit and decals do make the exactly version flew by his friend Bill Wood. Of course I said Yes!

Here are some reference photos:

Dudley gave me some valuable information that he had been gathering along the years for this dreamed project. It has precious war photos from the pilot private collection and also the pilot's accounting regarding the correct serial number for his aircraft. The nose art consists of a representation of Diana "The Goddess of Hunt", some bombs representing the missions and "Trish" Bill Wood's wife name.

Beaufort+page+1.jpg

Beaufort+page+2.jpg

Beaufort+page+3.jpg

Beaufort+page+4.jpg

Beaufort+page+5.jpg

Beaufort+page+6.jpg

Beaufort+page+7.jpg

Beaufort+page+8.jpg

Beaufort+page+9-1.jpg

The kit

The kit he had available was not the RAAF version but another British original version of the Beaufort. However, it has most of the parts necessary to convert to Australian built Beaufort (Pratt Whitney engines, antennas etc), but not the essential part to convert the dorsal turret (I had to scratchbuilt it).

The kit was airbrushed using Gunze acrylics:

Sky Blue underside: H323

Light Green camouflage: (H302)

Light Earth camouflage: (10% H47 + 90% H72)

Weathered using a combination of techniques like oils, pigments and water colours.

A final coat of Gunze H20 Flat Clear was sprayed overall.

The antenna wire is made of EZLine.

The model:

Beaufort_01.jpg

Beaufort_02.jpg

Beaufort_03.jpg

Beaufort_04.jpg

Beaufort_05.jpg

Beaufort_06.jpg

Beaufort_07.jpg

Beaufort_08.jpg

Beaufort_09.jpg

Beaufort_10.jpg

Beaufort_12.jpg

Beaufort_13.jpg

Beaufort_14.jpg

Beaufort_15.jpg

Beaufort_16.jpg

Comments?

• Like 58
  • Thanks 2

A terrific looking Beaufort.  Great conversion work and paint finish.  For me, half the fun of modelling (particularly wartime subjects) is researching the pilot, crew and unit histories, so I can really relate to all the research materials you've presented here. 

• Like 1

Hi Paolo,

outstanding build! Your Beaufort looks close to perfect as far as I am concerned.

I have often wondered why there has not yet been a 1/72 Beaufort kit that could be built OOB and still give a close to perfect result! Possibly why I have abstained to date... Coward, I hear shout!!! And you would be right!

Congrats on a great build!

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great job on the Beaufort.  It takes modelling to another level when are making a kit with so much meaning for someone.  I am sure it was much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Neil.C said:

What a lovely story and a fitting tribute to people like Bill and their ilk. 

I bet Dudley loved it!

Hi all

Thanks for your kind words. This kit is indeed a challenge, and there was times I wanted to throw it on the wall (ask my wife). But I kept my faith and finished it.

I still haven't delivered it to Dudley, it will be a surprise for him on our next meeting on the 3rd October.

Cheers

Paulo

• Like 1